Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Walsall - Preview

edited March 2017 in General Charlton
( @ForeverAddickted eegular preview 10 posts lower)

Magennis a doubt and JFK and Solly both definitely out. Botaka hopeful.

back to back victories and a feint whiff of positivity back in the air, or usual business of Saturday misery will once again be the order of the day?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    God bless the Addicks and our wondeful team.

Play up Addicks...

3-1
  • Options
    You're all going to get told off again..
    2-1
    with no pressure of a promotion push a pleasant game of footy.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    No offence AFKA but what's happened to Forever Addicted, I'm a creature of habit :wink: .
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

No offence AFKA but what's happened to Forever Addicted, I'm a creature of habit :wink: .

I've been hitting F5 every few minutes because I'm jonesing for my match preview.

Also, @AFKABartram, JFK is gonna be out for quite a while due to what can only be described as "a rather serious and permanent head injury."
    Taken out by LHO? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    we won AT Walsall way back when with two Ajose goals .. they were in the play offs last season and look to be coming back into form again ..
    the Scunthorpe result will have done us a power of good and restored some confidence .. we're now desperately short of strikers as well as defenders, A-Grant should be given a start .. I reckon, without a lot of confidence, that we'll win this one

CAFC 2 V Walsall 1
  • Options
    I have been backing Walsall religiously for the last couple of week.

0-2. We must be due a red card soon.

• Options
    Worst. Preview. Ever.

I will be at an 100th birthday party but will be wishing and hoping and praying that we win.

A reborn Tony Watt and Johnnie "his legs have gone" Jackson score but it's only enough for a two all draw.

I won't be watching the rugger.
  • Options

Below. Best. Preview. Ever.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's more like it, I was getting worried about you FA I thought maybe @LouisMend had got you a gig working with him for the Nigels :wink: .
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Charlton Athletic v Walsall
    Saturday 11th March 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Nicholas Kinseley

Introduction

First of all would like to thank @Henry Irving for his divine prediction and apologise to all for the lateness of the best preview in the house.

As we continue with our run of three home games on the trot we now enter the pivotal section of the season… With just two Saturday matches remaining at the Valley after this Weekend, it is vital that Charlton pick up the points to ensure mid-table mediocrity and thus ensure that we’re not dragged into yet another relegation scrap. Tuesday night saw Scunthorpe United coming to town for a rearranged fixture which saw Karl Robinson earn just his fourth win since becoming Charlton Manager and his first since the end of January, entering March it appears as though we can put our nightmeire February behind us as this Saturday we play host to another side who appear to have hit form in recent weeks: Walsall.

The Opposition
    Name: Walsall | Manager: Jon Whitney
    Ground: Bescot Stadium

If Scunthorpe were unlucky to miss out on the Play-Offs last season then Walsall were even more unfortunate to miss out on automatic promotion, pipped to second spot by Burton Albion and a single point; Walsall were left to face a marauding Barnsley side who swept them aside in the Play-Off semi-finals. Left to endure another season in League One; the Saddlers were also forced to rebuild which not only saw a rare victory for the Addicks earlier in the season but left many wondering if Walsall would struggle this.

Let’s take a peek at the key men who could be involved tomorrow:

The Manager: When Dean Smith left to take over at Brentford it was no surprise to many fans, especially the way he’d gotten Walsall into promotion contention last season… The man to take over (Jon Whitney) was a surprise though, never a Manager before it looked this season as though he’d bitten off more than he could chew yet with just three defeats this year it looks like our opponents are already safe for another League One campaign next year.

The Player: Lionel Messi is constant proof in the modern game that height isn’t everything and for a few years is where English Football maybe faltered with many British clubs going for players of size rather than skill; Erhun Oztumer when he was released by Charlton could be proof of this… Having battled back through the Leagues (including a spell in Turkey) the one time Charlton Academy kid could be a thorn in our side with the Midfielder already having 13-goals to his name this term.

Charlton Team News
    As mentioned in my preview against Scunthorpe; the big news out of the training ground was the fact that Jason Pearce has returned to training and as mentioned by Karl Robinson in this week’s press conference, could appear back in the first team before the end of the month… This week he’ll be involved in an U23 game with his involvement in the match-day squads being assessed from there.

Staying with the Scunthorpe theme; Josh Magennis was forced off injured on Tuesday night and remains a doubt ahead of our match tomorrow, should he fail to be fit then you’d expect Tony Watt to step up front after scoring his first goal since his return from Hearts yet Karlan Ahearne-Grant who has been re-appearing for the first team of late could also be in with a shout.

Rudd
    Byrne | Konsa | Teixeira | Chicksen
    Botaka | Jackson | Aribo | Holmes
    Ahearne-Grant | Novak

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dasilva | Page | Crofts | Watt | Ulvestad | Barnes
    I preferred AFKA's
    Oh hush Tibbles!! ;)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

That's more like it, I was getting worried about you FA I thought maybe @LouisMend had got you a gig working with him for the Nigels :wink: .

He tried but I claimed I needed something in Sainsburys before going into that god awful Shed, managed to run out without him noticing

Good job I did as hadn't had my injections done so gawd knows what I could have caught in there!!
  • Options
    Maybe bench places, instead of Page/DaSilva, for Dijksteel and Hackett-Fairchild as midfield/striker options with Barnes already there as FB cover?
  • Options
    chilham said:

Maybe bench places, instead of Page/DaSilva, for Dijksteel and Hackett-Fairchild as midfield/striker options with Barnes already there as FB cover?

Dasilva is a guaranteed bench place; otherwise we have to pay his wages!
  • Options
    Narrow Charlton win, 2-1
  • Options
    Now that we are staying up i don't see any point in playing loan players unless we are going to sign them permanently at the end of the season.
    I would much rather we have a look at some of our younger players to see if they look good enough to challenge next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now that we are staying up i don't see any point in playing loan players unless we are going to sign them permanently at the end of the season.
    I would much rather we have a look at some of our younger players to see if they look good enough to challenge next season

Effectively, we are still only 6 points from relegation ! (assuming Port Vale get 4 points from the 3 games in hand).
  • Options
    chilham said:

Da Silva is the first name on the teamsheet.
  • Options

Effectively, we are still only 6 points from relegation ! (assuming Port Vale get 4 points from the 3 games in hand).
    We be safe I tell you

Well hopefully: )
  • Options
    Don't know how to call this one - which is an inditement of our season if ever there was one!
  • Options

Yes not out of the woods yet. Still got to play 4 teams below us. Two more wins needed.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hopefully bringing Tommy to the game. If he attends, 1-1, if not 3-1 to The Addicks.
    Hope @Essex_Al will pleased that I'll be there?
  • Options

Worst. Preview. Ever.

:-)

0-0

LOL - at least it's there - the highlight of my Thursday/Friday.... yes, I must get a life!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Hopefully bringing Tommy to the game. If he attends, 1-1, if not 3-1 to The Addicks.
    Hope @Essex_Al is pleased that I'll be there?

I'm always pleased to see a fellow supporter at the game!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Charlton Athletic v Walsall
    Saturday 11th March 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Nicholas Kinseley

Introduction

With just two Saturday matches remaining at the Valley after this Weekend,

Really? Just the 2 home games left? Wow, it's not that I doubt you, but it just seems absurd that we've used up all our home games.

I like Walsall - great atmosphere at their tiny stadium, nice social club and it must be a Meire being the bottom club in the W Midlands... I think that the consolidationalists (aka @cabbles) might get their dream ticket here - 2-2 - which wouldn't be a bad result against a side pushing for the play-offs.