Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If We Could Upgrade 3 Starting Positions (Except Striker), What Would They Be?

Let's say you could transfer-in for just three positions on the starting team, but none could be a striker, which three would you upgrade in the summer?

I am leaving out the striker position because every team wants one and no good ones are coming down to L1, so I want to focus on other areas we most desperately need an upgrade.

What are the three positions we most need to bolster?

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Hahahaha! Touche, mid-day!
  • Centre mid and left back.
  • Centre mid, right back, goalkeeper
  • Cm, cm and RB
  • If Rudd doesn't stay beyond his loan, would people want to bring in a keeper or give Phillips the no 1 jersey? I'd be happy with him so would agree with @WestCountryAddick, a left back and winger and a bit of creativity through the centre
  • Left back, 2 x CM
  • striker, striker, and , um, striker
  • GK: Rudd is good but seems to be making a mistake a week right now. His distribution is questionable, and he seems shaky under a high ball. Plus, there's no guarantee he'll stay. Phillips is certainly promising, but at 21 I'd want competition there.

CM: If Robinson sticks around and wants to play 4-2-3-1, we need another player who will put their foot on the ball and keep possession. JFC is, or should be one, but we could do with another. The notion that our players can't go from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 without looking completely lost boggles my mind, but such seems the way of things in League One I suppose.

No 10: We've struggled to break teams down when they sit deep and give us the ball. Aribo is young and doesn't seem to quite have that vision or killer pass in open play--at least not yet. Said we needed one in January and we didn't get one, but another position that's really hard to fill at League One level unless you bring someone in from abroad (bloody foreigners are all soft and suchlike) or possibly get an 18-20 year old on loan from one of the big teams.

As for the aforementioned striker, holding on to Magennis has to be our top priority. Will be interesting to see if there is a one year option in Watt's contract, but haven't heard any talk of it. Even if there was...I'm not sure he's worth the risk. A heavily incentivized contract would be great, but I have to feeling there's a Champo club willing to take a punt on him.

I'm not convinced by Novak. There seems to be a bit of skill there but he seems so immobile and has a habit of missing chances. I'm also not convinced Ajose does enough to be anything above a mid-table League One player. He looks great on the break or when there is space because his team are sitting deep defending. But to win the league/get promoted we need players comfortable in possession and playing on the front foot and I don't think that's him.

As things stand, we will be losing the following from loans ending:
    Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

It's 9 players in total, plus I'd be willing to sell Novak and Ajose if decent offers came in. Again, we're left with a summer of rebuilding. Ridiculous. Some of that blame has to go to Slade though, who brought in players (Foley, Crofts namely) on presumably largish wages with no sell on value. He also was strict 4-4-2, but didn't bring in a midfield capable of that, despite having Novak and Ajose who seem only capable of playing that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

GK: Rudd is good but seems to be making a mistake a week right now. His distribution is questionable, and he seems shaky under a high ball. Plus, there's no guarantee he'll stay. Phillips is certainly promising, but at 21 I'd want competition there.

CM: If Robinson sticks around and wants to play 4-2-3-1, we need another player who will put their foot on the ball and keep possession. JFC is, or should be one, but we could do with another. The notion that our players can't go from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 without looking completely lost boggles my mind, but such seems the way of things in League One I suppose.

No 10: We've struggled to break teams down when they sit deep and give us the ball. Aribo is young and doesn't seem to quite have that vision or killer pass in open play--at least not yet. Said we needed one in January and we didn't get one, but another position that's really hard to fill at League One level unless you bring someone in from abroad (bloody foreigners are all soft and suchlike) or possibly get an 18-20 year old on loan from one of the big teams.

As for the aforementioned striker, holding on to Magennis has to be our top priority. Will be interesting to see if there is a one year option in Watt's contract, but haven't heard any talk of it. Even if there was...I'm not sure he's worth the risk. A heavily incentivized contract would be great, but I have to feeling there's a Champo club willing to take a punt on him.

I'm not convinced by Novak. There seems to be a bit of skill there but he seems so immobile and has a habit of missing chances. I'm also not convinced Ajose does enough to be anything above a mid-table League One player. He looks great on the break or when there is space because his team are sitting deep defending. But to win the league/get promoted we need players comfortable in possession and playing on the front foot and I don't think that's him.

Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

It's 9 players in total, plus I'd be willing to sell Novak and Ajose if decent offers came in. Again, we're left with a summer of rebuilding. Ridiculous. Some of that blame has to go to Slade though, who brought in players (Foley, Crofts namely) on presumably largish wages with no sell on value. He also was strict 4-4-2, but didn't bring in a midfield capable of that, despite having Novak and Ajose who seem only capable of playing that way.

You can sleep a bit easier. Watt still has another year on his contract to run.
  • SDAddick said:

GK: Rudd is good but seems to be making a mistake a week right now. His distribution is questionable, and he seems shaky under a high ball. Plus, there's no guarantee he'll stay. Phillips is certainly promising, but at 21 I'd want competition there.

Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

Huh, sorry, I thought he signed a two-and-a-half year deal when he signed.
  • SDAddick said:

Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

Also likely to lose Tex and Johnson (no great loss) so that's a whole team to be replaced.
  • SDAddick said:

Again, we're left with a summer of rebuilding. Ridiculous. Some of that blame has to go to Slade though, who brought in players (Foley, Crofts namely) on presumably largish wages with no sell on value. He also was strict 4-4-2, but didn't bring in a midfield capable of that, despite having Novak and Ajose who seem only capable of playing that way.

He quite often played one up front. I can remember people shouting 442 at him, even at home. Had he played an even slightly more attacking style he might still be here today.
  • If we were to upgrade three positions but not striker I would choose goalkeeper defence and midfield.
  • edited March 2017

SDAddick said:

Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

Also likely to lose Tex and Johnson (no great loss) so that's a whole team to be replaced.
    Yeah, but the opening question was what three starting positions need UPGRADING.

Clearly vast swathes of the playing staff will be out the door for one reason or another. With our knowledge of the ability (or lack thereof) of the owner and his lickspittle CEO most of those will be replaced with similar or worse or old, knackered players. Frankly as things stand, the whole concept of getting in higher quality players is laughable.
  • Conor McLaughlin RB
    Ben Reeves CM
    Marcus Maddison LW

Would be a nice start
  • We need another winger. On a level with Holmes. We never really replaced Lookman, whilst Byrne,Chicksen and Botaka have all plated there none have made it their spot.

A genuine number 10. We don't really have one.

A creative CM in the mould of Stephens.
  • Left back
    Left winger
    Creative centre mid.

So that'll be three more centre halfs then.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Ulvestad
    Byrne
    Rudd
    DaSilva
    Botaka

Contract's up:
    Watt
    Chicksen
    Crofts
    JJ

Huh, sorry, I thought he signed a two-and-a-half year deal when he signed.
    It was a three and a half year deal.

Relegator is also out of contract. Would be happy to not have him replaced and free up his wages to help keep Texieira and Bauer for another year.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like to see Lennon and Thomas given new contracts as I can see one or both of Tex/Bauer leaving, and Konsa unlikely to be with us all season, unless we are sold.