Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking near the valley

2»

Comments

• Seen to many smashed windows to even consider parking in the roads around Charlton again
    My dad or myself have been parking at The Valley every game since 1972.
    I've never seen a smashed window in 47 years.
    Where are you referring to ?
    Thorntree Road down the side of Maryon Wilson Park was one area where you would always see cars broken into. Gave up parking there years ago after my car had the side window smashed. 

As haven't been down there for years not sure you can still park there on a match day. 

Been parking there for since the Prem years & never had a problem or seen any damage. Only real problem is lack of spaces as houses often have multiple cars and/or put out bins/planks of wood/traffic cones to stop you parking. I suppose if you move said "obstructions" and parked up anyway then you could be liable to a keyed door panel or broken wing mirror upon your return....so that's why we dont. As per other thread started by AFKA it is getting harder to park around the ground now though & we are being resorted to park in the Park nr the cemetery. 
    Hope your luck holds!
  • Seen to many smashed windows to even consider parking in the roads around Charlton again
    Thorntree Road down the side of Maryon Wilson Park was one area where you would always see cars broken into. Gave up parking there years ago after my car had the side window smashed. 

As haven't been down there for years not sure you can still park there on a match day. 

I don't doubt you for one second, but I've parked in Thorntree Road for about 20 years and never seen any damage.
    (Obviously, I'll now regret saying this). 

I don't doubt you for one second, but I've parked in Thorntree Road for about 20 years and never seen any damage.
    Weird but in a very good way in that you've never had any trouble.

Honestly not making it up - often used to see cars parked down the side of the park (not in front of the houses) that had been broken into.

As I said, haven't parked down there for many years. Things obviously changed for the better. Hope it stays that way. 

Honestly not making it up - often used to see cars parked down the side of the park (not in front of the houses) that had been broken into.

As I said, haven't parked down there for many years. Things obviously changed for the better. Hope it stays that way. 

Yes, very weird as I've parked precisely there for about 20 years.

Can confirm the same, seen cars broken into down there including my Dad's once but this was 20 years ago now, still seen others broken into since then.
  • Sure most break ins were in Victoria way
  • Does anyone know what the current parking regs are in Floyd road / Harvey Gardens etc on a standard weekday?

I’ve recently started a new job and currently need to get from Ashford to central London arriving 08.30am on sporadic weekdays. Buying a 1day train ticket from Ashford will cost me £75 per day!

About 15 years ago I used to drive from Ashford to Charlton, park outside the valley and walk to the station for a train. That combination should only cost about £20 in total, so a significant saving.

But.... is parking outside the ground still free?
    Or is it now plastered in restricted zone / residents only signage?
  • edited March 2021
    MOBY DUCK said:
    Does anyone know what the current parking regs are in Floyd road / Harvey Gardens etc on a standard weekday?

I’ve recently started a new job and currently need to get from Ashford to central London arriving 08.30am on sporadic weekdays. Buying a 1day train ticket from Ashford will cost me £75 per day!

About 15 years ago I used to drive from Ashford to Charlton, park outside the valley and walk to the station for a train. That combination should only cost about £20 in total, so a significant saving.

But.... is parking outside the ground still free?
    Or is it now plastered in restricted zone / residents only signage?
    I've found it conventient to travel up to Charlton and get the train from there on the odd occasion when I've needed to be up that way afterwards or if I'm on a half-day before I've got to then go on a bit of a car journey afterwards.

When I have done I've parked up just past Charlton House on Hornfair Road (or the surrounding side roads) and then walk down the hill, there have never been any parking restrictrions round there when I've done so.

Bit of a bugger of course in the evening having to walk back up but hills have never bothered me... Worth noting though that the ULEZ goes beyond Charlton from October so if you've not got a ULEZ compliant car you'll have that additional cost as well

On top of the fuel it may well become worth just getting the train from Ashford
  • edited March 2021
    Part of the controlled parking zone now. You can still park within a few minutes of woolwich dockyard station i believe. Also once you Cross the South Circulal you will been entering The new ultra low emmissions zone which comes into effect in October, so check if your car can enter without charge.  
  • edited March 2021
    It may be worth investigating the many split ticket sites.
    This one for instance comes out at £53 return.
    https://www.raileasy.co.uk/booking-process/?/results/156029/153623?departdate=2021-03-31T07:00:00&returndate=2021-03-31T17:00:00.
    There are places you can park without restrictions.
    I'll inbox you so no one nicks my parking space when we return :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Anchor and hope lane is probably best for parking. 472 or 486 to North Greenwich for the tube.
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I’m aware of the impending October ULEZ problem as my Car is indeed a dirty old diesel.... but it is very cheap to run and should do the 100m round trip for about a £10er.

The £53 split ticket approach could be done on the fast train instead of the slow stopper for about £65. Trains are such fuckers with the ‘feature creep’ aren’t they!

This is hopefully a short term conundrum as I’m looking to buy a Flat somewhere in SE London this year. For now, think I’ll stick with what I definitely know and park at a station a bit further out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. 👍
  • Park outside Golfies place in Swanley and use your Oyster to Victoria, everyone wins....
  • Fumbluff said:
    Park outside Golfies place in Swanley and use your Oyster to Victoria, everyone wins....
    Not a bad shout. I have room on my drive for another car & I'm less than 5 mins to the station. Might have to make a small charge though or recount you with my tales of wine & excess.....😆
  • edited March 2021
    Fumbluff said:
    Park outside Golfies place in Swanley and use your Oyster to Victoria, everyone wins....
    Not a bad shout. I have room on my drive for another car & I'm less than 5 mins to the station. Might have to make a small charge though or recount you with my tales of wine & excess.....😆
    You’re welcome. 

I’ll take 5%...
  • MOBY DUCK said:
    Thanks for all the replies.

I’m aware of the impending October ULEZ problem as my Car is indeed a dirty old diesel.... but it is very cheap to run and should do the 100m round trip for about a £10er.

The £53 split ticket approach could be done on the fast train instead of the slow stopper for about £65. Trains are such fuckers with the ‘feature creep’ aren’t they!

This is hopefully a short term conundrum as I’m looking to buy a Flat somewhere in SE London this year. For now, think I’ll stick with what I definitely know and park at a station a bit further out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. 👍
    I've no idea what the parking rules are like these days, but my old man always used to park near Falconwood station before taking the train in. 

Just off the A2, AND outside the ULEZ

my car was nicked there a couple of years back - during an evening game, I was parked right outside the school opp the park.

incidentally in response to the post above, I'd definitely park and use Falconwood - plenty of parking space on Welling Way and easy access back onto the A2

my car was nicked there a couple of years back - during an evening game, I was parked right outside the school opp the park.

incidentally in response to the post above, I'd definitely park and use Falconwood - plenty of parking space on Welling Way and easy access back onto the A2
    My car was nicked and written off 20 years ago in just about the same spot albeit outside someone’s house on that first side road opposite the school. It was a daylight Saturday game too! The bastards definitely like that area then. So much for CCTV reducing crime then.

The parking spaces fill up very early in the morning.