Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Lithuania

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017

England have two problems. The opponents who are technically better than them - in World football there are about 8-10 of these and the well organised team who set out to frustrate them. Lithuania weren't good enough to keep us out, but the problem is when we play a side that is a little better than them as we did when we drew 0-0 to Slovakia in the Euros.

As we are likely to face this challenge in the early stages of a World cup competition, it would surely make sense to work out how to play against it. Yesterday's game whilst being comfortable was also frustrating in places. Is there a different formation that is effective against these sorts of sides, different players or styles (more direct for instance). I think it is criminal an England manager not identifying this issue from the past and using games like this to work out a plan.

Yes, we will qulaify comfortably- We did for the Euros, but how are we going to address the issues we face in major tournaments? Southgate is destined to be a failure, unless he is very fortunate! I can tell him one thing - he has too many players in the side who are not natural scorers. The two goals came from players who are and one replaced the other. I would class Alli as the only other one. We need more of them in the side.

Technically better:

Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Netherlands, Belgium, Croatia, Portugal, (Uruguay? Colombia?).

I'd say they were the main teams better than us technically.

Then I'd say there are teams like Sweden, Turkey, Poland who would give us a good match and are more than capable of beating us on their day. Then there are teams who can play for a draw, like you mention Slovakia or Russia.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

England have two problems. The opponents who are technically better than them - in World football there are about 8-10 of these and the well organised team who set out to frustrate them. Lithuania weren't good enough to keep us out, but the problem is when we play a side that is a little better than them as we did when we drew 0-0 to Slovakia in the Euros.

As we are likely to face this challenge in the early stages of a World cup competition, it would surely make sense to work out how to play against it. Yesterday's game whilst being comfortable was also frustrating in places. Is there a different formation that is effective against these sorts of sides, different players or styles (more direct for instance). I think it is criminal an England manager not identifying this issue from the past and using games like this to work out a plan.

Yes, we will qulaify comfortably- We did for the Euros, but how are we going to address the issues we face in major tournaments? Southgate is destined to be a failure, unless he is very fortunate! I can tell him one thing - he has too many players in the side who are not natural scorers. The two goals came from players who are and one replaced the other. I would class Alli as the only other one. We need more of them in the side.

Technically better:

Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Netherlands, Belgium, Croatia, Portugal, (Uruguay? Colombia?).

I'd say they were the main teams better than us technically.

Then I'd say there are teams like Sweden, Turkey, Poland who would give us a good match and are more than capable of beating us on their day. Then there are teams who can play for a draw, like you mention Slovakia or Russia.
    And then, to cap it all, there's Iceland!