Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone live in Shooters Hill? (Advice needed)

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a flat in Shooters Hill Road but am having some second thoughts based on a couple of things - it's a one bed flat, and it's a bit of a journey to any of the stations (looks like it's a bus to any of them, even though there are a few to choose from)

I have lived around Charlton/Greenwich pretty much all of my twenties but have never really been involved with Shooters Hill much.

Does anyone know how bad the traffic is around Shooters Hill Road in rush hour in the morning/afternoon if looking to get to any of the stations?

I work from home, but am thinking about how viable it will be for re-sell in the future based on this plus the fact it's a one bed flat (albeit very nice)

Not the most exciting thread I know but any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Cycle.
  • Options
    I live further down near Plumstead common so I walk the mile to Woolwich station. Some people suggest that if you live up there it's easy to go down to Falconwood or Welling but I would feel like I'm going back on myself. If I lived up there I would probably get off at Charlton and get the 486 up. I know a few people that do. Getting on the 244 from Woolwich takes a long time and can be grim but the 486 goes fairly quick. I've done it in the evening and made the pub much quicker than I would getting off at Woolwich. I cant say about the morning I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry about the re-sell factor.

• Options
    That's where moved from and I think @ShootersHillGuru lives near there. ;) Most people that knew that commuted would walk through the woods to falconwood in the summer months but in the dodgy weather would bus it to Woolwich.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a flat in Shooters Hill Road but am having some second thoughts based on a couple of things - it's a one bed flat, and it's a bit of a journey to any of the stations (looks like it's a bus to any of them, even though there are a few to choose from)

I have lived around Charlton/Greenwich pretty much all of my twenties but have never really been involved with Shooters Hill much.

Does anyone know how bad the traffic is around Shooters Hill Road in rush hour in the morning/afternoon if looking to get to any of the stations?

I work from home, but am thinking about how viable it will be for re-sell in the future based on this plus the fact it's a one bed flat (albeit very nice)

Not the most exciting thread I know but any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have a mate who used to live at the top of Shooters Hill. He worked in the City and it used to take him best part of an hour and a half, door to door, to get to work. (Bus to Blackheath, train into London, walk to the City)

What he did was sold up and moved to Northampton. Used to take him about 15 minutes longer door to door and he swapped a three bed semi for a five bed detached and had change ... Not that I'm suggesting that's what you do #JustSaying
  • Options
    I work at the queen elizabeth. Rush hour it can be very very clogged up. Any time blackwalkk tunnell is closed it causes mayhem. There are goinf to be new houses go uo next to hospital so only goinf to get worse
  • Options
    Shooters Hill Road in both directions during the rush hour is not great.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

cafctom said:

Hello all,

I have a mate who used to live at the top of Shooters Hill. He worked in the City and it used to take him best part of an hour and a half, door to door, to get to work. (Bus to Blackheath, train into London, walk to the City)

What he did was sold up and moved to Northampton. Used to take him about 15 minutes longer door to door and he swapped a three bed semi for a five bed detached and had change ... Not that I'm suggesting that's what you do #JustSaying
    Cobblers ;0)
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

_MrDick said:

cafctom said:

Hello all,

Cobblers ;0)
    Cobblers? This thread doesn't needs moderating.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    _MrDick said:

cafctom said:

Hello all,

Mmm. Bus to Welling station from top of Shooters Hill during rush hour 15 mins. Bus to Woolwich Arsenal station from top of Shooters Hill during rush hour 20 mins. Bus to Blackheath station from top of Shooters Hill during rush hour 45 mins.

Think Blackheath of the three possibilities was the worst choice possible. After Northampton that is .

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Property on Shooters hill is cheaper for a reason..
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Like I said, the commuting thing isn't really something I'm concerned about for me personally as I'm lucky enough to work from home - it's just about how likely it will be to resell to a first time buyer in 5 years time who would need to look at that sort of thing.

Anywhere near Woolwich is going to be the place to really look at if I do pull out, especially with Crossrail coming in next year.
  • Options
    Bus to Eltham?
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about reselling - properties in & around the area will always sell. If you like it then I'm sure someone else will
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Thanks guys. Like I said, the commuting thing isn't really something I'm concerned about for me personally as I'm lucky enough to work from home - it's just about how likely it will be to resell to a first time buyer in 5 years time who would need to look at that sort of thing.

Anywhere near Woolwich is going to be the place to really look at if I do pull out, especially with Crossrail coming in next year.

With the announcement yesterday of the Arsenal proposal I really wouldn't worry about resell. If you are in the lucky position of being able to buy and you like the place then do it. The Red Lion has been given a big makeover and now does food and also shows the football. I know the old regulars aren't keen but I like it as I like the wine choice...

Piri Hill is a very decent takeaway and you can get a good fry up at the Café on Oxleas Woods. The Bull also shows football and a great beer garden and the landlord is Charlton.

I miss living in Charlton but we couldn't afford it so we moved up the road. Not regretted it once.

Just never get the bus to Blackheath in the morning. That would be silly....

If you want to inbox me any questions then do.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The Sun in the Sands end of Shooters Hill Road is doable, but the rest is no-mans-land in terms of commuting in my opinion.

But as you said it doesn't bother you, it's pretty nice up there and you definitely get more for your money and bit of a view. The houses are that price because that's what they buy/sell for up there, so you'll be able to sell it no problems - just at whatever the going rate is, which is less than nearby areas.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Tom,

Dont listen to curb_it, if you take a look at the "let's get stoned" thread she don't walk anywhere :smile:
  • Options

Tom,

Dont listen to curb_it, if you take a look at the "let's get stoned" thread she don't walk anywhere :smile:

Except the take away, pub and café.
  • Options

Tom,

All in easy shot of each other. What more could any woman wish for?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Tom,

Her old man to answer his phone.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Tom,

Her old man to answer his phone.
    Well aside from that.... he's still in the dog house.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

cafctom said:

With the announcement yesterday of the Arsenal proposal I really wouldn't worry about resell. If you are in the lucky position of being able to buy and you like the place then do it. The Red Lion has been given a big makeover and now does food and also shows the football. I know the old regulars aren't keen but I like it as I like the wine choice...

Piri Hill is a very decent takeaway and you can get a good fry up at the Café on Oxleas Woods. The Bull also shows football and a great beer garden and the landlord is Charlton.

I miss living in Charlton but we couldn't afford it so we moved up the road. Not regretted it once.

Just never get the bus to Blackheath in the morning. That would be silly....

If you want to inbox me any questions then do.

The Eltham Cafe is pretty good, not to far from Shooters Hill.