Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Angling.......Bloodsport?

I am a Vegan but also an Angler and the two it would seem are incompatible.
Answers please by midnight on June 15th.

Comments

• Options
    It's fine. Fish don't even have brains
  • Options
    Ummmmmmm.... is this a wind up?
  • Options
    Here we go...
  • Options
    I thought the title of this thread alluded to a new extreme version of a boring pastime, where participants fought whilst angling or something of that nature.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

I am a Vegan but also an Angler and the two it would seem are incompatible.
    Answers please by midnight on June 15th.

Fishing is probably cruel to the fish but no one's perfect so don't beat yourself up over it.

By the way, I assume you're a vegan rather than someone from a planet around the star Vega.
  • Options
    Well it does seem incompatible, but it is complex. It seems to me that:
    - Fishing for food is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I do find pescetarianism odd though (not that that's where you'recoming from).
    - Course fishing though seems particularly cruel though, hoiking an animal out of it's normal habitat for 'sport', watching it flap about as it struggles to breath whilst it's yanked along on a line and then posing for pictures like you're something special because you tamed a beast. That's certainly sounds incompatible with veganism. But...
    - I am aware that fishing clubs do a lot to manage waterways and that in many cases it is their work has breathed life into rivers and lakes that would otherwise be effectively dead.

On balance I think that if you are a responsible member of a club that manages a waterway and helps the environment, it's probably OK. If however you're one of those selfish breeds of angler (I don't think for a minute you are, or you wouldn't be asking the question) who takes little care of the animals and leaves the place littered with old line and other debris that would definitely be incompatible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great surname for a vegan.

I've got a vegetarian mate whose name is Butcher.
  • Options

*****AUTOMATED REPLY*****

The CL Rapid Response Hand Wringing Take Offence On Your Behalf Team are on annual holiday.

We will be back on line on Tuesday the 18th of April.

Please by all means create pointless threads for us to ponder our navels over and we will catch up when we get back from our excursion to the Ecuadorian Alfalfa bean collective.

*****AUTOMATED REPLY*****

Bloody typical - never anyone available when help is needed.
  • Options

Ummmmmmm.... is this a wind up?

hook, line and sinker.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

the New Zealand rugby team taking on St Winifreds U10 girls rugby team

I would definitely buy tickets for that.
  • Options
    genuinely thought this would have been an @Anna_Kissed thread :lol:
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Never mind compatibility, they are without doubt the two most boring things you can possibly imagine.

watching cafc is definitely more boring
  • Options
    Leuth said:

fish especially large carp are very clever
  • Options
    So you hunt things without eating them rather than eating things without hunting them?

What do you think is the answer to your implied question?
  • Options
    if it wasnt for angling waterways would become overgrown and riverside walkways become unpassable
    thats just for starters
    thats without the wildlife
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, especially if you catch your finger on an acute one.
  • Options

if it wasnt for angling waterways would become overgrown and riverside walkways become unpassable
    thats just for starters
    thats without the wildlife

That avoids the question.

Fishing for food is acceptable, fishing for fun is barbaric.
  • Options
    But it's okay to eat fish
    'Cause they don't have any feelings
  • Options
    "Bloodsports" is one of the greatest threads ever on this forum, eh @Carter?
  • Options
    WSS said:

"Bloodsports" is one of the greatest threads ever on this forum, eh @Carter?

Yeah baby, some serious whooshing going on too
  • Options
    Leuth said:

you missed a letter.
    It is @Fiiish

smiley winky thing.
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on what you do with the fish, do you put them back or club them over the head and sell them at the market?

Why are you Vegan, if it's because of animal rights, then why are you fishing?

In my opinion any harm to animals at any level, is wrong!

So, yes a blood sport!
  • Options
    The fish that come out of the carp lakes that I know over here are fed all year with top quality pellet, have the water checked every 3 months, get a thorough examination when they're caught to the point where a Betadine type ointment is put on the wound where the hook was and for all that each fish comes out a max of about 2 to 3 times per year (if at all).