Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

I expect this Consortium would have had to show Duchatalet proof of their ability to match his asking price for the Club - whether or not it includes The Valley. If they don't have the funds, he may as well talk to me about selling the Club.

My understanding is that this Consortium are seeking further backing to be able to invest into the Club to realistically fulfil the ambitions stated within their five year plan.

The promise of fantastic returns on your investment once lil' ole Charlton get to the Premiership is surely worth the gamble of your spare Aussie Dollars?

I'm not sure that the fundraising hasn't already been completed. If you read the Mail article, it's clearly quoting in part from the Australian Football Consortium website. That website states the fundraising was due to be done in March. As we are now middle April, it should be complete.
  • Options
    It's bad enough that Duchatelet destroyed the hard work of everybody who built that League One winning team in just a matter of months. Now he wants to destroy all the years of hard work and sacrifice put in by so many people who brought the club back to the Valley.

To consider selling the football club but keeping his grasping hands on the Valley, either Roland really has no clue what the Valley really means to Charlton fans or he knows very well what it means and he is a truly vicious, greedy individual.

• Options

Why the 'unhelpful' tone?

Sounds like Meire sending a message to her master.

Possibly there are confidentiality clauses in the negotiations. It would suit Roland & co. that any sale was announced after the last game of the season.
    Imagine the embarrassment for Katie as we party at the Swindon game.
  • Options
    Rolands only escape plan was redeveloping the Valley for housing while CAFC play at a smaller ground elsewhere.
    When I raised this suspicion a few years back, folk on here said it was nonsense and that Greenwich would never allow it. Truth is, if CAFC were still playing elsewhere in the borough - LBG would be all for it.

Bexley just announced plans to build 30,000 new homes in their borough, and LBG are under huge pressure to provide more homes.

If we ever get the chance to buy the actual pitch (in small portions) like Chelsea fans did, then we should jump at the chance. Sadly, this is unlikely to happen and the Valley will always be at risk - even though we once bought shares in CAFC to keep it safe.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Steady on Eirik.......where have these changes been mentioned by an AFC
    spokesperson?
    And anyway, there's a long way to go before the deal is done and those "possibilities " become reality.
    I do of course respect your far better knowledge of Australian sporting ethos and we should perhaps be mindful of this possible mind set further down the line; should this deal go through.
  • Options
    Is there a long way before the deal is done?
    Haven't seen any mention of timescales so would be interested to know from those with better knowledge of these things, how long it takes when a bidder has exclusivity.
  • Options

Don't fancy Roly the landlord one bit, all or somebody else works better for me.

The Belgian Rigsby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree the ideal would be to sell the valley with the rest of the club. But the leaseback might work for the consortium if the long term funding for a PL challenge is an issue as I imagine it would be. None of us have seen the details and that's where the finer points of the leasing contract will be. If its at a 'reasonable' rate and there is an option to purchase on reaching the PL or after 5 years (whichever comes first) then it would probably work. Don't think a purchaser would want a long term, non-negotiable, lease with Duchatelet or anyone else.
  • Options

"unhelpful" just means "damn, we didn't want

Why the 'unhelpful' tone?

Sounds like Meire sending a message to her master.

"Unhelpful" means "damn, we didn't want this to leak as we were hoping to sell before anyone knew but now we've got to keep Meire away from any microphones for even longer"
    So if CAFC didn't leak the story who did and why ? Unless it wasn't leaked by either party.
  • Options
    wwtone said:
    I liked the bit that they are looking to acquire an under-performing club. We fit the bill well on that one unless Leyton Orient are an alternative choice.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 2017

vff said:

Duchatelet does not care about Charlton football team or its supporters.

I had heard that he was a Charlton fan.
    Duchatelet is a fan & supporter of his own wallet. Also his Turing level genius to socially engineer society. In reality, he likes to play a large scale version of FIFA football manager. Unfortunately (for real life, club & supporters) he is rubbish at it.
  • Options
    It looks to me like a 5 year plan to get to the PL and nothing more. In which case taking on the ownership of The Valley is a needless overhead. Whilst we (almost) all can see the benefits of RD/KM being removed from the stewardship of our club, a solution that concentrates solely on the football side is only half a solution, albeit the most important half ! The AFC blurb is all about a return on investment and nothing about rebuilding our club. Let's hope, if the deal goes through, that is high on their agenda.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Rolands only escape plan was redeveloping the Valley for housing while CAFC play at a smaller ground elsewhere.
    When I raised this suspicion a few years back, folk on here said it was nonsense and that Greenwich would never allow it. Truth is, if CAFC were still playing elsewhere in the borough - LBG would be all for it.

Bexley just announced plans to build 30,000 new homes in their borough, and LBG are under huge pressure to provide more homes.

If we ever get the chance to buy the actual pitch (in small portions) like Chelsea fans did, then we should jump at the chance. Sadly, this is unlikely to happen and the Valley will always be at risk - even though we once bought shares in CAFC to keep it safe.

I believe it is still nonsense. No one is talking about redeveloping The Valley for housing.
  • Options
    c

You're forgetting the significant number of South African youngsters that we scouted and brought to the club over a period of many years. Not one dud amongst any of them......though I agree we must 'always' be on the lookout for local prospects.
    But we had a proper scouting back then. Lots of Seeds all over the place.
  • Options
    If they already had the funding in place, I'd be less worried
  • Options
    Not too sure if this has already been posted. But here is the TalkSport interview with Schwarzer about charlton

http://talksport.com/football/listen-ex-australia-international-mark-schwarzer-responds-charlton-athletic-takeover
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Surely "the club " includes the ground.
    Nothing I've read suggests the ground would be excluded from the deal.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!