Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Blokes 71 years old ffs, you'd think he'd take the most sensible offer and go sit on a beach somewhere drinking cold lager

Never understand what motivates these people TBH. When you've got enough, look after the people you love and go off & enjoy it.
    You've have to be mad to want to go through all this.....
    You said it mlc.................without question, he displays some very significant sociopathic tendencies.
    Whether that actually makes one a sociopath or not is, I guess, debatable.
    At what stage a person is diagnosed as being an actual full blown sociopath I don’t know......but I assume there are different degrees?
    My understanding of sociopathy is that the diagnosis would be antisocial personality disorder. However IMHO he doesn't fit the criteria very closely. People with this type of personalty disorder tend to have been involved with petty crime/violence in their younger years and carry this on into their adult life. They are often highly impulsive and take risks. I would say that Roland's bank balance has been built up by well calculated 'risks'.

He does show signs of narcissism - possibly narcissistic personality disorder. I doubt he'd ever get near a psychiatrist (lucky bugger!) as he's apparently high functioning and pretty stable.
    Interesting stuff tatters......thanks for your opinion.
    He does though show an extraordinary lack of empathy or understanding of others loyalty or emotional attachment......does he not?
    Isn’t that one of the criteria of being a sociopath?
  • In another SE7 takeover development, Voice of The Valley has now received confirmation that ex-Rangers director Donald Muir, pictured in the directors’ box at the Oldham Athletic game last weekend and involved with a consortium that also includes ex-Scotland boss Alex McLeish, is a former Charlton season-ticket holder.

We revealed on Wednesday that he was known to have been a regular attender in the early 2000s.

http://www.votvonline.com/home/the-2017-18-blogs/12-1-varney-to-carry-on-working-but-not-involved-in-charlton-bid/

Plastic Prem fan then. Don't want him : - )

probably sat next to Kelvin Mackenzie
  • I'm a bit scared now.

If Roland is still here in the summer then we truly are staring into the void.
  • JJ avoided directly talking about the takeover but I did gleam the following few nuggets....

- They have had very few days of practice the last 6 weeks because their schedule is too busy and they do not have enough for players to do any 11 on 11s.

- They have not used youth teams in senior practice because the youth teams have their own schedules.

- Most practices are now just watching videos the last few weeks, taken from matches and from drones, due to lack of fit players

- JJ never once used KR's name in the interview and instead just referred to him repeatedly as "the gaffer."

- He feels if they are fit they are a top 6 squad, easily.

- The takeover is hurting their focus and his job as asst coach is to try and refocus the younger players on the next match.

Hope this helps.

You'd think 5 a side would be a good option, surely.
  • So if Varney is not involved in a takeover anymore, what happened to his investor. Have they given up or one of the potential buyers but just not using Varney?
  • Redhenry said:

Heard that no one is getting near RD's asking price.

That is the best news I've heard for days.

The more potential buyers who say "You're having a laugh, mate, it ain't worth that in a million years" (or whatever the South African, Aussie, Middle-Eastern, Swiss equivalent is) the closer we get to Roland realising that he can't play one party off against another or wait for a better offer.

OK, this is Roland and he doesn't do logic but he clearly expected to have had the deal done by now or he would have replaced Meire.

Repeated knock backs hitting him square in the face might just wake him up to the reality of the situation.
    that WAS my view yesterday (I change my mind daily), but today my head is telling me that it won't have that impact that I and you would hope.

More likely to me is that for him to accept a lower offer than what he desires he will do what he can to reduce the difference to his target figure in the interim. ie. other asset sales, starting with increased sales of players.

I was convinced come the end of the Aug window that he wasn't imminently selling due to the lack of sales at that point, and unless there is a buyer in a severe advanced position insisting on no asset sales, then this is the next natural expectation for me,

By the time Duchatelet leaves Charlton, I expect us to be in a weaker state as either a club or a playing squad than what we currently are.
    Of course. Because for the whole of the regime’s tenure his team and the infrastructure around it has got weaker every month. So that will continue until he has gone.
  • Without a trusty CEO and outgoing financial officer , we have two people now running the show in their twighlight years of working life. Roland always stated he was too busy to come over and watch us. I guess the busy-ometer is off the scale now.
    At the age they are,I doubt plate spinning is their speciality.
    So which part of all this are they most focussed on?
    The sale of the club or the sale of assets within the club?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc-west said:

I am resolute to the fact that we are of no interest to big money men with a plan to get back to the premier league.
    If it was going to happen it would have happened years ago.

Get used to the fact that we will only ever attract Ill informed chancers that will saddle us with more and more debt and before long send us to the depths clubs like Hartlepool currently find themselves in.

Years ago you didn't get £120m for getting into the Premier League and massive payments if you dropped back out. I don't know the exact figures but I'm sure many investors with deep pockets might think it worth a try with a London based club in an increasingly desirable area and a ready made infrastructure.
    Years ago the fan base was already there. Look at it now! I actually think being in the capital puts us at an disadvantage in some respects. Look at the growth of Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Chelsea during that time. All the while we have been shrinking. To a new owner we are already on the back foot.

In a saturated market taking us on is a risk. And a very big one at that.
    Why did Jimenez and Slater have such big problems shifting us? And there was some serious money sloshing around then. They were idiotic I know and that has been well documented. But a sure thing would have flown off the shelf, wouldn't it? They literally had to go cap in hand to Duchatelet to offload us.
    I don't want to put a dampener on all this but am just facing up to the reality of what we've all been witness to for nigh on ten! years now.

I might be wrong and sincerely hope I am but history and the damage of the past few years tells me this more than likely won't be a happy ending.
    When you consider the massive debt that RD has now saddled the club with I think the long term future of this great club looks very bleak unless one of the following scenarios occurs within the next few years;

1) An ultra high net worth individual/group buys the club with a money no object attitude in getting us to the Premier League, completely wiping out the massive debt that RD has saddled us with in the process.

2) We go into administration, wipe out a large proportion of the debt and start again like other clubs have done previously.

I just can't see option 1 happening as like others have said previously, this just doesn't happen to Charlton. Option 2 probably won't happen whilst RD is still the owner as he will not want to put the club into administration and lose tens of millions in the process but I can see him selling to a new individual/group who will take on that debt and completely under estimate the money required to maintain a football club of our size outside the Premier League and the debt will just continue to grow. The administration scenario may well be the only option if we got to that stage.

All just my personal view obviously but I think the massive debt accrued by RD is going to be the downfall of the club unless that mega rich white knight comes riding over the hill!
    Just hope we dont go down teh road like Leyton Orient. We need a buyer ASAP to prevent that happening.
  • Has Betty Hutchens had a good look round to see if she can scrape anymore money together, to up her bid ?
  • Redhenry said:

Heard that no one is getting near RD's asking price.

That is the best news I've heard for days.

The more potential buyers who say "You're having a laugh, mate, it ain't worth that in a million years" (or whatever the South African, Aussie, Middle-Eastern, Swiss equivalent is) the closer we get to Roland realising that he can't play one party off against another or wait for a better offer.

OK, this is Roland and he doesn't do logic but he clearly expected to have had the deal done by now or he would have replaced Meire.

Repeated knock backs hitting him square in the face might just wake him up to the reality of the situation.
    that WAS my view yesterday (I change my mind daily), but today my head is telling me that it won't have that impact that I and you would hope.

More likely to me is that for him to accept a lower offer than what he desires he will do what he can to reduce the difference to his target figure in the interim. ie. other asset sales, starting with increased sales of players.

I was convinced come the end of the Aug window that he wasn't imminently selling due to the lack of sales at that point, and unless there is a buyer in a severe advanced position insisting on no asset sales, then this is the next natural expectation for me,

By the time Duchatelet leaves Charlton, I expect us to be in a weaker state as either a club or a playing squad than what we currently are.
    I don't think that reality will hit RD immediately, he will hang on for a while and players may well leave.

Regardless the reality is that his price is unrealistic and gets more so with every player sold and every league place dropped.

Eventually, he will have to accept that.
  • I really don’t get this assumption that he will do anything out of spite. He thinks it’s just a few “agitators” anyway. He doesn’t want to be seen as having failed here and taking a massive loss indicates that is the case. Hopefully he’’ll eventually realise that by either losing a lot more or one of the bidders ups what they will pay significantly. Personally can’t see anything happening till end of the season. Murray is just complicating things.
  • So if Varney is not involved in a takeover anymore, what happened to his investor. Have they given up or one of the potential buyers but just not using Varney?

What the bunch who wanted to invest ONE HUNDRED MILLION FUCKING POUNDS into the club ? ..................... not enough really :neutral:
  • Varney not involved in any takeover...but would be open to filling the vacant CEO role under new owners...right?
  • RD has definitely got that Belgium / Dutch attitude that he thinks he knows f$ckin everything and won't be told by anyone and I worry that that rubs people (potential buyers) up the wrong way before they even start talking about what day the binmen come etc..

I suspect they got fed up with RD and walked away.
  • Fuck sake. We can't even get a takeover right.

The whole saga has become boring now to be honest

Wait till this gets to 2 million views.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mate told me he wants 55 million is this correct?
  • RD has definitely got that Belgium / Dutch attitude that he thinks he knows f$ckin everything and won't be told by anyone and I worry that that rubs people (potential buyers) up the wrong way before they even start talking about what day the binmen come etc..

We have just got to cling to the hope that when the takeover eventually goes through, is a buyer that has persevered with Roland's craziness because they really want to be owners of Charlton Athletic and restore this great club to where it should be.
  • JJ avoided directly talking about the takeover but I did gleam the following few nuggets....

- They have had very few days of practice the last 6 weeks because their schedule is too busy and they do not have enough for players to do any 11 on 11s.

- They have not used youth teams in senior practice because the youth teams have their own schedules.

- Most practices are now just watching videos the last few weeks, taken from matches and from drones, due to lack of fit players

- JJ never once used KR's name in the interview and instead just referred to him repeatedly as "the gaffer."

- He feels if they are fit they are a top 6 squad, easily.

- The takeover is hurting their focus and his job as asst coach is to try and refocus the younger players on the next match.

Hope this helps.

Over the Christmas period most of our opposition would have done limited training as well due to the busy schedule, so you would hope that both teams would be equally affected.

I do feel sorry for the coaching staff at the moment, due to the complete void above them. It must be hard to keep their focus on the playing side, but it's what they need to do. Robinson in particular needs to "no comment" more when he gets asked questions which cover off the field issues

"Obviously the takeover talks are going on, but that's not my concern. My concern is to get the most out of this great bunch of lads, and get us 3 points on Saturday, talk to Mr Murray if you want to know about all that other stuff"

True enough. My old boss was Dutch and he was a Fukwit of the highest order.

Didn't take too well to being told that though.
  • Redhenry said:

i believe he wants 50mill

So do I. Even if I create a gofund me page I doubt it would happen
  • Redhenry said:

i believe he wants 50mill

Turkish lira?

An early front runner for sweeping generalisation of the year 2018!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!