Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Which Do You Find More Fascinating To Watch... Promotion Battles Or Relegation Battles?

I actually enjoy watching clubs fight against going down, rather than watching clubs fight to go up (unless it's a club I follow, that is.)

I wonder if the answer says something about one's personality?

Comments

• Depends on how tight the battle is. For example the premiership relegation battle is peatering out a bit now, mainly looking like Hull/Swansea.

The championship promotion battle is almost tied up as well now Huddersfield losing today.

If the championship play offs catch alight they can be phenomenal as all Charlton fans born before 1985 can attest

You may also recall the Watford vs Leicester 2nd leg play off final a few years back when Leicester missed a penalty and Watford went up the other end and scored. Absolute scenes and if you'd have been a Watford fan you would've been going mental at that moment.

That sort of instance, like our winner up at Villa in 99 is the sort of pure football ecstasy you live for as a fan
  • A few years ago in Algeria the bottom team were only 11 points behind the leaders with 4 games to play of the season !!!
  • I actually enjoy watching clubs fight against going down, rather than watching clubs fight to go up (unless it's a club I follow, that is.)

I wonder if the answer says something about one's personality?

It depends.

What usually happens is the bottom teams are more tighter and more likely to be fighting to the death.

If the title race in the premier league is between 4 teams in the last game, then that would be more interesting then anything else.
    Never happens though.

Have been some very classic last game relegation battles.

For example, when west brom stayed up 04/05 season
  • MrOneLung said:

A few years ago in Algeria the bottom team were only 11 points behind the leaders with 4 games to play of the season !!!

You can't just leave it there. I demand the results, team line ups, goal scorers, final league table, how many passes the bottom teams number 10 completed v the top sides number 10, and also attendances.
  • edited April 2017
    Much prefer seeing how relegation battles turn out. It's amazing how a team can be shit for the most part of the season and then decided to go on a 6 or 7 match unbeaten run at the end of the season and stay up.

Birmingham in 92/93 managed 30 points from 36 games and then picked up 22 in their last 10. But went down on goal difference.
  • I prefer to see a load of adults crying at the end of the last day of the season than jumping up and down with joy.
  • I prefer to see Charlton in a promotion battle and the Nigels in a relegation scrap
  • prefer the play offs for promotion
  • League 2 final playoff place (7th) looks tasty this year. I think 14th place are still in with a chance.

Newcastle fans must be in heaven this year. They are up (99.9%) with both Boro and Sunderland coming down (probably).
  • Relegation battles can be more interesting, especially if the promotion battles are just for the playoffs. Winning your last game to get 6th place isn't the same as you still only have a 1 in 4 chance of promotion, and even if it's for automatic, you still have another chance via the playoffs

By contrast, relegation is relegation
  • Sponsored links:

• I quite like last day of the season when several teams can be relegated. I went to Dagenham & Redbridge 3 or 4 seasons ago when 6 or 7 sides could have been relegated on the last day including Dagenham & Redbridge's opponents, York City. As an impartial observer, it was quite fascinating being in the crowd with everyone following 5 or 6 games.

One of the best games I have ever been to was Wigan v West Ham in 2011. The winners would stay up and the losers would go down whereas a draw meant that both went down. West Ham took a 2-0 lead, Wigan equalised in the second half and then the game became extraordinary. Both sides weren't for 5 up with no midfield in an attempt to get the win. N'Zogbia scored in the last minute to keep Wigan up and send West Ham down.
  • Well you support the right club then.