Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If Carlsberg did crap stewarding......

13»

Comments

• redbuttle said:

Carter said:

Ok, there were more stewards than I expected, but the club were told that, Charlton fans were going to "take back The Valley". It's hardly surprising that they planned for this.

If I'm correct, the reason the orange bibbed stewards let everyone on the pitch, is because they are not allowed to manhandle the public. The blue stewards can.

NB one of the blue bibs was a Charlton fan who lives in Peterboro now IIRC. I was chatting to him at Fleetwood A.

If a blue steward tried to manhandle me I'm within my rights to defend myself.

If a police officer does it, different matter. But one of those idiots puts hands on me or another fan I would go batshit
    What if another fan had just punched you
    did this happen?
  • edited May 2017
    redbuttle said:

Carter said:

Ok, there were more stewards than I expected, but the club were told that, Charlton fans were going to "take back The Valley". It's hardly surprising that they planned for this.

If I'm correct, the reason the orange bibbed stewards let everyone on the pitch, is because they are not allowed to manhandle the public. The blue stewards can.

NB one of the blue bibs was a Charlton fan who lives in Peterboro now IIRC. I was chatting to him at Fleetwood A.

If a police officer does it, different matter. But one of those idiots puts hands on me or another fan I would go batshit
    Nobody punched or even threatened the steward I saw aim a kick at a fan (from the side) and then grab another fairly violently by the neck and wrestle him to the ground. Judging by the smirk he was just enjoying himself and the apparent immunity the blue vest gave him in the eyes of the police who were nearby. The kid was trying the get onto the pitch ... and by that time there were hundreds already there.
  • redbuttle said:

Carter said:

I'd punch him back a lot harder
  • edited May 2017

The stewarding was massively over the top but as others have said to an extent I guess justified by the CARD message and what happened at Orient. I asked a Police man outside who pays and he said inside the ground it is the club, outside the tax man. I was more disappointed at the quantity of police outside which was completely over the top than required for a game v Swindon. Apparently it was categorised 'B' where most of our games are 'A', with less police for an A game.

As an aside, I was an orange jacket steward in Sheffield as a uni student some 20 odd years ago. £17 for the match.

My main memory is being driven to Mansfield at half time as there was some trouble at their game and I was 'big'. I stood in a line of police and stewards separating home fans in rows above from away fans in rows below.

Slowly, one by one each police officer and steward was moved away until it was just me. A pie then whistled through the air above my head and into the away fans, who not surprisingly were unimpressed and started making their way over the rows of empty chairs towards me/the home fans.

At that point I shouted down the stairwell to a 'blue jacket' who came running up... His advice...."if the shit hits the fan, just pile on in there".

Having never hit anyone in my life, my thoughts differed to "for £17 I will take this jacket off and go home thanks mate".

Fortunately the fans were just posturing and they never 'met in the middle!' So I got my £17 and went to the pub !

I was a steward when I was at Sheffield uni as well just under 10 years ago. When did you do it?

I remember standing at the back of the steps in Wednesday's 'kop' end heading every ball when we played them - it was a 0-0 where Weaver almost single-handedly kept us in it.

Went and said hello to the players when they came out to warm down after everyone had gone and showed them I had my Charlton shirt on under the high vis. TBH they just looked at me pretty blankly, but I was buzzing... barely ever used to get to watch us then (and I used to like watching us still).
  • mogodon said:

redbuttle said:

Carter said:

Nobody punched or even threatened the steward I saw aim a kick at a fan (from the side) and then grab another fairly violently by the neck and wrestle him to the ground. Judging by the smirk he was just enjoying himself and the apparent immunity the blue vest gave him in the eyes of the police who were nearby. The kid was trying the get onto the pitch ... and by that time there were hundreds already there.
    I think you got a bit confused by my comment. I commented on a previous post which said they would lose it (or words to that effect) if a steward touched them or any other fan. Sorry for any confusion caused.
  • The stewarding was massively over the top but as others have said to an extent I guess justified by the CARD message and what happened at Orient. I asked a Police man outside who pays and he said inside the ground it is the club, outside the tax man. I was more disappointed at the quantity of police outside which was completely over the top than required for a game v Swindon. Apparently it was categorised 'B' where most of our games are 'A', with less police for an A game.

As an aside, I was an orange jacket steward in Sheffield as a uni student some 20 odd years ago. £17 for the match.

My main memory is being driven to Mansfield at half time as there was some trouble at their game and I was 'big'. I stood in a line of police and stewards separating home fans in rows above from away fans in rows below.

Slowly, one by one each police officer and steward was moved away until it was just me. A pie then whistled through the air above my head and into the away fans, who not surprisingly were unimpressed and started making their way over the rows of empty chairs towards me/the home fans.

At that point I shouted down the stairwell to a 'blue jacket' who came running up... His advice...."if the shit hits the fan, just pile on in there".

Having never hit anyone in my life, my thoughts differed to "for £17 I will take this jacket off and go home thanks mate".

Fortunately the fans were just posturing and they never 'met in the middle!' So I got my £17 and went to the pub !

8 pints paid for later!
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2017