Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Deptford Jack-in-the-Green: An invitation on May Day

On May Day (Beltane), the Deptford Jack-in-the-Green (aka The Green Man) awakens and moves from place to place (often a pub) around Deptford and Greenwich. The Jack is supported by minstrels, merry-makers and pot-bangers (known as Fowler's Troop).
You can join in this afternoon. The procession departs at The Dog & Bell pub, Prince Street, Deptford, at Noon...and thence into Greenwich. See links below for the history of the tradition and today's itinerary.
deptford-jack.org.uk/
deptford-jack.org.uk/mayday2017.htm

Comments

• A pub crawl in Deptford won't take long these days.
  • Indeed. A sign of the times. Cranes and featureless steel and glass buildings everywhere. Decent pubs hard to find these days. We had some splendid beers in The Dog & Bell and The Gate Clock. The Plume of Feathers is pleasant, but expensive.
    More than 200 people on the procession, despite the rain. Nice to do these 'out of the ordinary' things.
  • Indeed. A sign of the times. Cranes and featureless steel and glass buildings everywhere. Decent pubs hard to find these days. We had some splendid beers in The Dog & Bell and The Gate Clock. The Plume of Feathers is pleasant, but expensive.
    More than 200 people on the procession, despite the rain. Nice to do these 'out of the ordinary' things.

You should try Hasting JITG festival, it's a really good day, we had a few sweeps down from SE London last year though didn't see any yesterday....plenty of bikers though.

Best thing about Millwall away is the drink in the Dog and Bell before the game.

You should try Hasting JITG festival, it's a really good day, we had a few sweeps down from SE London last year though didn't see any yesterday....plenty of bikers though.
    Cycled to Rochester for the sweeps on Sunday. Really good this year.
    No bikers that I saw. Just a few thirsty cyclists!!
  • edited May 2017
    iainment said:

Indeed. A sign of the times. Cranes and featureless steel and glass buildings everywhere. Decent pubs hard to find these days. We had some splendid beers in The Dog & Bell and The Gate Clock. The Plume of Feathers is pleasant, but expensive.

The May Day run is annual biking event approx. 40,000 bikers come down here every May Day bank holiday....not to sure where they get that figure from but I've never seen so many motorbikes/scooters etc in one place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maydayrun
  • iainment said:

Indeed. A sign of the times. Cranes and featureless steel and glass buildings everywhere. Decent pubs hard to find these days. We had some splendid beers in The Dog & Bell and The Gate Clock. The Plume of Feathers is pleasant, but expensive.

The May Day run is annual biking event approx. 40,000 bikers come down here every May Day bank holiday....not to sure where they get that figure from but I've never seen so many motorbikes/scooters etc in one place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maydayrun
    agree its a lovely day along with pirate day,fish and wine day but think they should limit the marches with the drums to one day specifically ..all becomes a bit samey but weather permitting it shows hastings at its very best
  • I intend to see the Hastings Jack at some point, but like to support my friends in Fowler's Troop in SE8 / SE10 on May Day.
    I was in Rochester for the Sweeps Festival on Saturday and Sunday and enjoyed listening to and chatting with The Heart Collectors, a musically interesting Ausie folk group, in Rochester's excellent micro-pub, The Flippin' Frog.

https://facebook.com/TheFlippinFrog/?fref=ts

theheartcollectors.com/
  • Here are some photos of Fowler's Troop with the Deptford Jack on May Day:
    https://sjcrofts.wordpress.com/