Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would have been our greatest player had they been in their prime?

Comments

• Options
    Di Canio for me, his talent was gobsmackingly huge. Pity i missed seeing Johny Summers by a season.
  • Options
    Simonsen and probably Graham Tutt.
  • Options
    Very difficult for us youngsters :-) who never saw Simonsen play

Since then would have to be Barnes, Di Canio, Costa, JFH, Parker
  • Options
    Lepoint
  • Options
    Stuart Leary
  • Options
    The records indicate that it is Simonsen but Bartram for me .
  • Options
    Having never seen Simonsen, I can only go on what he achieved which was head and shoulders above anyone else to ever pull on a Charlton shirt.

I would put Sam Bartram as the greatest servant to the club.
  • Options
    Of those I saw play, I suppose Alan Simonsen.
    But Eddie Firmani's record is not to be sniffed at.
    89 goals in 177 appearances for Charlton (51 in 112 in the top tier)
    Joined Sampdoria for a record transfer fee.
    52 goals in 63 apps for Sampdoria
    48 in 82 apps for Inter Milan
    25 in 62 for Genoa
    2 in 3 internationals for Italy.
  • Options
    Geoff Hammond
  • Options
    Hard to believe Jorge Costa hasn't had mention world class defender at his best
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Paolo di Canio was mindblowingly good to watch when he was 34. So much so that it is hard for me to imagine that not actually being his peak (even though I know it wasn't)
  • Options
    Cory Gibbs
  • Options

Having never seen Simonsen, I can only go on what he achieved which was head and shoulders above anyone else to ever pull on a Charlton shirt.

Keith Peacock would be giving the great Sam Bartram a nudge?

• Options
    If we had Alan Simonsen, Paolo di Canio John Barnes etc in there prime, we would have sold them the first good offer we received, like we have for most of the very good to great players we have had, we sold Eddie Firmani, Mike Bailey Billy Bonds Paul Elliot Paul Walsh Derek Hales Mike Flannigan, Scott Parker.
    I would put Stuart Leary and Sam Bartram as the best I saw who stayed with us, even though we sold Stuart Leary late in his career
  • Options
    Simmo was a little past his prime when he joined us. But he was still a class above any Charlton player I have ever seen, only Di Canio comes anywhere near close, but he was well past his best. The amazing thing about Simmo was that he was physically tiny, yet he could out jump centre halves, and reached the very top of the game despite being so small and slight.
  • Options

Keith Peacock would be giving the great Sam Bartram a nudge?

Of course.
  • Options
    Robbie Mustoe.
  • Options
    Surprised that Graham Stuart hasnt had a mention.

Had we signed him a few months sooner in our first Premier League season we'd have survived!!

Not to mention the bloke won the FA Cup with Everton in '95
  • Options

Simonsen without a doubt

hands down this, you only had to look at his record
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gary doherty
  • Options
    Simmo. No question.
  • Options
    Frank Nouble, and the best is yet to come.
  • Options
    Defoe.
  • Options
    I'd say Simonsen, but it was interesting looking at Eddie Firmanis stats - very impressive, particularly what he did in Italy. John Barnes at his peak, in a Liverpool shirt at least, was superb, Costa was class as well.
  • Options
    Simonsen was by far the most talented player I've ever seen. Not sure whether I was more amazed at us getting him or him agreeing to join us. Either way it was a real honour to watch him, just a shame none of the others came close to matching him. Not their fault though, he was just so good.
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen
  • Options
    In terms of a team.Two players for each position.

Perm any combination at their peak and they would have matched anybody.

Bartram/Bolder
    Bonds/Naylor
    Costa/Ufton
    Elliott/Rufus
    Hewie/Powell
    Lee/Walsh
    Simonsen/Parker
    Smertin/Jensen
    Barnes/Di Canio
    Firmani/Jeppson
    Leary/Hales.

Having written this there will now be loads of obvious choices I should have put in instead.
  • Options

Di Canio

I agree
  • Options

Gomez, will reply again in 10 years when this proves to be correct

So you're saying Gomez in his prime will be better than Di Canio?! I hope so but don't see it myself. Di Canio really was a class player.