Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Concorde Seen Over Yorkshire

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Greenie said:

I think that the Spitfire, Harrier Jump Jet, and Concorde are arguably the most iconic aircraft in the world.
    They just look bloody great.

and the Vulcan Bomber, along with the Lancaster.

Yes indeed, we do make a good looking plane, apart from the bit the French added of course.
  • Options
    The Douglas DC3 or Dakota is a pretty iconic plane too (one of my favourites) and loads are still in service/airworthy
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I think that the Spitfire, Harrier Jump Jet, and Concorde are arguably the most iconic aircraft in the world.

Supermarine Spitfire will always be the best that we've produced... Just look at her!!

• Options

Greenie said:

Supermarine Spitfire will always be the best that we've produced... Just look at her!!

The Spitfire is the greatest plane ever, IMHO. I live near Meopham in Kent, I am lucky that almost every spring and summer day a Spitfire flies over my house (I guess from Biggin Hill, they have the fly a Spitfire hanger there) and when the southern airshows are on, I get to see the BOB memorial flight once maybe twice a day (on weekends) come over, all at about 1000 feet or so, the Merlin engines are just music to my ears.
    Great to see and hear.
  • Options

If it aint trains its planes.

Trains are boring... My ultimate dream is to be a pilot, sadly the closest I can get is the flight sim on my PC!!
  • Options

And don't get me started on automobiles.
  • Options

And don't get me started on automobiles.
    'They're not Pillows'
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Greenie said:

...and let's not forget the English Electric Lighting.
  • Options

Extra, Extra! Read all about it... cloud looks like thing that isn't a cloud!

Slow news day at the Beeb obviously.

Anyway, looks more like an SR-71 Blackbird than a Concorde.

That's not a Concorde, it's a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.
    Too slow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Greenie said:

and the Vulcan Bomber.
    Concorde's less cool brother.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

The Harrier, fantastic plane too, I also liked the Mosquito.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

good spot .. why don't you comment on the BBC page about it .. the cloud really does resemble the Blackbird
  • Options
    Thanks to wiki .. just to think that the first non stop transatlantic flight was a bit less than 100 years ago !

'The world's first nonstop transatlantic flight (though at 1,890 mi, or 3,040 km, far shorter than Lindbergh's 3,600 mi, or 5,800 km, flight) was made by British aviators John Alcock and Arthur Whitten Brown, in a modified Vickers Vimy IV bomber. They left St. John's, Newfoundland on June 14, 1919 and arrived in Ireland, the following day'
  • Options
    I've been in a concord for a school trip or something, sadly it never took off. You can see why it failed. Why pay the high price to save a few hours in an economy seat when you can save yourself £500 or so and get a flat bed in business class?

No doubt as technology increases it will one day be commercially viable to have supersonic travel but with some airlines ditching first class as the real money is to be either made in business class and super cheap economy (I expect buy on board long haul to become popular soon) it's not a priority at present.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Greenie said:

Agreed, there was a prog on History Channel about the Mosquito, brilliant stuff, in fact there are so many that were built that are just so fit for purpose.
  • Options
    Bloody Airbus.

Ok it probably would have been retired by now but 2003 was a disgrace.

Along with Red Phone boxes, Pubs and the Mini it was part of a bygone, but more interesting, era.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

When I see a Spitfire at an air show, I can't help but get a lump in my throat. The shape and the sound of the Merlin engine can't be beaten.
  • Options
    The Concorde looked like and Apple product, 40 years before Apple made sleek design.

White. Smooth. Elegant. Great performance. Awesome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Greenie said:

...and let's not forget the English Electric Lighting.
    Nor the Sopwith Camel.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Extra, Extra! Read all about it... cloud looks like thing that isn't a cloud!

Slow news day at the Beeb obviously.

Anyway, looks more like an SR-71 Blackbird than a Concorde.

Too slow!
    Mach 3-and-a-bit sure ain't slow.
  • Options

Greenie said:

When I see a Spitfire at an air show, I can't help but get a lump in my throat. The shape and the sound of the Merlin engine can't be beaten.
    Snap
  • Options
    Loved the Jaguar ever since one fly right over my head at the Southend air show
  • Options
    I met a pilot of the SR-71 many years ago, when it was still in use.

He said that the plane leaked 1/3 of its fuel from the hanger to 30,000 feet because they built it so as the plane heated up, the parts would expand and close the gaps causing the leaks. So that once it was higher up, the first thing it had to do was get refuelled and then sprint to high speed to conserve the fuel.

Also, one time he was cruising at ultra-high altitude (he would not tell me how high but said you could see the curve of the Earth and that the sky was black, not blue.) Anyway, he was over Kansas and lost engine power. He was able to glide all the way down to California and land. From Kansas!

To me, the fact Western Civilization has not improved on the Concorde or SR-71 in nearly half a century shows some kind of decline of The West. The future is now like the present and nothing like we were promised.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Good point re the Mosquito.

The Harrier prevented the invasion of Belize by Guatemala. Stick that in your F15 pipe and smoke it.
  • Options

Flying on Concorde was on my bucket list.
    Sadly not to be

Same here
    You're on his bucket list?
  • Options
    on a more sombre note.. I suppose that the start of the death throes of Concorde was the Paris crash/disaster in 2000 .. over 100 killed, absolutely terrible tragedy and awful subsequent publicity .. the beautiful machine lost its allure ((:<)
  • Options
    The Americans showed massive Concorde envy by not allowing supersonic flight over the country.
  • Options
    I've been to Brooklands museum alot since 2012 , my son loves the place and walking under the Concorde gave me shivers done my spine! Anyone else been? It's in Weybridge