Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Neil Young v St Etienne

2»

Comments

• Options
    St Etienne, great memories of that song whilst driving through Sidcup high street in the company pool car.
  • Options
    St Etienne by a long, long way. The original (which I only heard for the first time about seven or eight years ago) sounds like it has fleas, but the St Etienne version is one of my favourite songs.
  • Options
    St. Etienne's version. One of the best covers I've ever heard. And I say that as someone who likes Neil Young.
  • Options
    St Etienne for me too.
  • Options

St Etienne
  • Options
    Sarah Cracknell with a Bob Willis run up from the Kirkstall Lane end.....
  • Options
    St Etienne by a country mile. A Balearic classic.
  • Options
    Neil young for me
  • Options
    Everything except the actual vocal delivery, the connection with the words and meaning is better with the St Etienne version. The singer although nice seems to be sort of getting the song sung rather than putting much thought and nuance into it.
    maybe Young on vocals with St Etienne backing him up.
    On balance it is St Etienne just, mainly because the Neil Young arrangement is pretty dirge like to me.
  • Options
    Love St Etienne's version. Didn't realise for about 10 years that it was a cover. Seeing them at Festival Hall next week
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Neil Young.
  • Options
    St Etienne
  • Options
    St Etienne.

I'm sure I once heard that Bob Stanley supported us. I could be wrong..
  • Options
    Don't like the St Etienne version at all. Neil Young all day long for me.
  • Options
    Brilliant one Henry!
    Do I go with the version I have been familiar with for 47 years or the one I played for the first time last night?
    My natural instinct and prejudice would point me towards Neil, but I don't feel passionately enough about the song to remain so intransigent.
    As somebody mentioned, Neil's version does have a dirge like feel whereas the St. Etienne version is more vibrant and colourful.
    I can see how the dance beat would resonate with my younger self and if I were familiar with this one and then heard Neil for the first time it would probably jar.
    Having said that, I do think the dance stance is somewhat at odds with the sentiment of the song.
    Plus, I think I'd soon get bored silly with the last 2 extended minutes of the St. Etienne version (unless of course I was dancing to it)
    As I am more cerebral than dancer, narrow victory for Neil Young.
  • Options
    St etienne
  • Options
    First time for me hearing the Neil Young version. Instantly recognised the St Etienne one and still prefer it to the other.
  • Options
    I make that 24-15 to St Etienne
  • Options
    Not a big fan of Neil Young but prefer his version.
  • Options
    Neil Young, my favourite.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Neil young
  • Options
    I've already voted so don't count this again.

I think Young is a great musician and songwriter but I don't warm to his recordings or live performance. As others have said, his take on this is a dirge.
  • Options
    Anybody know which lido is shown at 1.08 in the St Etienne version?
  • Options
    Tough one - love them both but I'll go with St Etienne. As a young indie kid I loved this band from day one - was in their fanclub and have all the fanclub only cds - the early ones of which used to & still do sell for hundreds of pounds. After recently seeing Loop, Slowdive, Teenage Fanclub & just this week JAMC in Vancouver - I was really hoping their upcoming North American tour would reach these parts - but alas no. Great band - one of my all time faves.
  • Options
    Can only be Neil Young.
  • Options

Anybody know which lido is shown at 1.08 in the St Etienne version?

I was wondering the same thing, it doesn't look like hornfair park. Could it be the old one at Eltham Park?
  • Options
    St Etienne
  • Options

I've already voted so don't count this again.

I think Young is a great musician and songwriter but I don't warm to his recordings or live performance. As others have said, his take on this is a dirge.

'His take on it? He only wrote the song that's all, so his take on it is how it should sound!!