Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Central London pub crawl - suggestions needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just taken a job at St Marys Axe (near the gurkin). Never worked in the city and looking forward to sampling a few of the pubs. Had a beer down Bow Lane after my interview. A few nice pubs there.
  • Options
    If you walk on two legs instead of crawling you'll get to more pubs.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Just taken a job at St Marys Axe (near the gurkin). Never worked in the city and looking forward to sampling a few of the pubs. Had a beer down Bow Lane after my interview. A few nice pubs there.

I worked in St Mary Axe as well. Loads of decent pubs nearby and usually a bit quieter in January.

The Lamb was always my favourite, going back to the days when it was a two bar pub on the ground floor with the "Dive Bar and Smoking Room" in the basement. It was run by the Morris family in those days. Sid and Vi were the landlords back then and it was later taken over by their son, Dave, a Charlton fan. I also knew their other son, Roger, quite well. A big CAFC fan, though last time I saw him he told me he winters in Australia now so rarely gets to The Valley any more.

It was a free-house, selling Bass, Young's and Whitbread until it was taken over by Young's who changed the pub's character completely by knocking the bars into one and adding the mezzanine floor.

I still like the place, though, and nearly always pay a visit on my trips to London.