Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Once again, Charlton fans are being blamed for the sacking of Curbs

2»

Comments

• Options

Curbishley was sacked

Oh no he wasn't.
    Pantomine season... Oh yes he was! And he thought so!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Curbishley was sacked

Oh no he wasn't.
    Oh no he didn't.
  • Options
    Murray offered Curbs a new contract but he turned it down.
    I hate it when Charlton fans are blamed for his departure, he had been an outstanding manager but needed a change.
  • Options

Murray offered Curbs a new contract but he turned it down.
    I hate it when Charlton fans are blamed for his departure, he had been an outstanding manager but needed a change.

Do you mean he needed a change or we needed a change?
  • Options
    In Murrays defence, was it not the same route him and Curbs took with players. If they won't sign a new contract ship them out while we could still get some sort of fee for them?
  • Options
    Curbs was happy to see out his last year of contract , yes the one where the season after the money got a lot bigger but Murray turned this offer down and also turned down the offer of Curbs' help to find his replacement .
    Murray knew best
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    This should not be hard, right? Was the board in existence back then? If so, we can just link to the old threads and see what was REALLY said by fans back then, instead of what everyone "remembers" was said about him leaving.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Curbishley was sacked

Oh no he wasn't.
    Exactly
  • Options
    Not only is the 'sacking' thing bollocks, I also don't know a single Charlton fan who wanted him gone.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Not only is the 'sacking' thing bollocks, I also don't know a single Charlton fan who wanted him gone.

I would have said Murray wanted him gone before his contract had finished but then as years have gone on he's proved he's not a Charlton fan with his support of these prick owners
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There were a very small minority that came out with the ' He's taken us as far as he can ' nonsense , but they were the ones that jumped on board the Premier league bandwagon. A bit like Piers Morgan , and have have long since jumped off the bandwagon once the Premier league days were over. The real Charlton fans have always been eternally grateful for the best years supporting Charlton in the last 50 years.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Curbs come back please
  • Options
    I will be honest. I had grown complacent, and I was getting a bit fed up with the last ten game slump year on year, just when we thought we were going to kick on into a European place the team went on holiday and the management team, with Curbs at the head, seemed unable to motivate the players to do anything else. I just checked, we won just ten of the last ten games out of sixty between 2000 and 2006, on three occasions we won only one match! The poor cup performances didn't help - regular exits to lower ranked opposition (Gillingham and Walsall FFS!) in both the league and FA cup did lead me to question whether it was time for Curbs to move on. I talked with friends about it, but I don't recall expressing it on public forums. I understood Murray's reluctance to keep on a manager who may have had one eye on the door; always hard to get players to sign a decent length contract when they don't know if the boss is going to stick around.

Other teams of similar size were reaching semi finals and finals while we had one capitulation in a quarter final at Middlesbrough to show for six years effort.

Of course now I would take mid table Premier League finishes all day long (mid table Championship finishes would be a step up) but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    I remember the heartfelt and spontanious applause during the Blackburn game, Stand up for Alan Curbishley and constant applause from all across the ground. I think Match of the day snubbing this significant and moving occurance in their coverage was a disgrace and pundits from the show like Mark Lawrenson further perpetrating the myth that we wanted him out made it even worse.
  • Options
    I was a regular member on CAFC-fans and I remember there were a lot of people on there saying that Curbs had taken us as far as he could and it was time for him to go, etc. I've always been a big fan of Curbs but during that time reading all those comments did make me wonder if they got a point. There is this Chinese saying "Those who are involved cannot see the big picture clearly, but those who are not usually understand the whole situation." I don't think many of us could forsee what happened after Curbs' departure. Even Curbs himself didn't see us falling so dramatically.

The one thing that could have been done to avoid our subsequent downward spiral though is let Curbs see out his contract. Yes it might be a problem considering players recruitment but at least it could give us time for a relatively much smoother transition. And other than signing new players I don't think there would be any other issues? Every time I see a thread of similar discussions I bring this up. It really could be a totally different story had we just given Curbs one more year...
  • Options
    I have felt for a long time that Curb`s was hounded out by a section of are fans. many including on this website kept going on about him having no ambition and only wanting to achieve mid table premiership place each season, or that he could not take the team any further and a new manager was needed, and of course those who thought his football style /tactics were boring.
  • Options
    I still maintain that Curbs left of his own accord. Some fans were saying he had taken us as far as he could but I do not believe this contributed to his leaving.
    As for our demise that was largely caused by a succession of shite managers starting with Dowie then Reed and apart from a brief recovery under Powell we have not looked like recovering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

msomerton said:

I have felt for a long time that Curb`s was hounded out by a section of are fans. many including on this website kept going on about him having no ambition and only wanting to achieve mid table premiership place each season, or that he could not take the team any further and a new manager was needed, and of course those who thought his football style /tactics were boring.

This website was formed after Curbs left
    True, and I should have been more accurate about that, and pointed out that until recent years those people or their successes still argued the case against Curb`s on here and other message boards. But now you hardly see a critical word said about Curb`s . At the time of his going I was one of the few who said beware of what you wish for. But one can not forget that the club also handled things badly then, and of course afterwards. These many years on, it seems to have been a panicked unplanned decision.
  • Options

DFT was the worst offender!
    He's a regular on 'the forum that may not be mentioned' these days.

In To The Voldemort?