Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proper names for everyday stuff

2»

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Sounds like what a German might call it. Half that language is just vaguely describing it. Hence why the word for hovercraft translates as "air cushion boat"

And a glove is a "handshoe".
  • Options

Near Beer

The one is the right is "near beer". The other is "a bit further away beer". Shades of Father Ted, Dougal and the cow.
  • Options
    the farsi for moth translates as ugly butterfly
  • Options
    Hammer = universal adapter
    Portaloo = thunder box
  • Options
    I thought a hammer was either a Yankee Screwdriver or a Brummie Screwdriver depending on who you wanted to insult.
  • Options
    What's the word for people who block up several seats on a rush hour train with their suitcases and then look annoyed when someone asks to get past? I'll start the bidding with "fuckleberry", or "cuntingfuckleberry" if they are eating either a pastie or a wasabi curry.

The person who asks them to get past, then scrapes past their shins and treads on their bags, punches them whilst removing their jacket and then deafens them with tinny music is called a "mcbobbin"
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Stig said:

I thought a hammer was either a Yankee Screwdriver or a Brummie Screwdriver depending on who you wanted to insult.

A Yankee Screwdriver is an actual thing:

• Options
    Stig said:

My dad always called a hammer an Egyptian Screwdriver. He did his National Service out there after the Suez Crisis and the place obviously left an impression on him!

Knives and forks were Yaffling Spanners - another one he picked up from the army.
  • Options

Stig said:

A Yankee Screwdriver is an actual thing:

Cheers exiled, I never knew that. :-)