Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

When Football Banned Women

Anyone watching the documentary on 4 now?

Fascinating stuff. Never realised how popular it was until it was banned in 1921 by the FA based on complete nonsense.

Comments

• Fascinating programme, though I feel it could have dug a bit deeper into the reasons for the ban. I set up a women's team at university in 1980s and remember all sorts of admin hoops re registering players and signing conditions that we would not play in mixed matches. Had no idea the ban had only been lifted a few years earlier.
  • Eeeee, those wert days!
  • Anyone watching the documentary on 4 now?

Fascinating stuff. Never realised how popular it was until it was banned in 1921 by the FA based on complete nonsense.

I didn't watch this but I saw a similar programme about twenty years ago. The mindset hasn't gone away, it's just migrated to Twitter where it rages about Jodie Whittaker becoming the Doctor.
  • Very interesting programme.

Might be of interest to @JamesSeed given that his Great Aunt Minnie was a distinguished performer in that era up to 1921.
  • Ah, sorry for the message. I clicked on your photo rather than the message.
    Yes, Minnie Seed was a bit of a legend. I have a database of the matches she was in, but little other info, other than she married and had a child. She died young (in her 50s) unfortunately.