Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Selling our house - Advice required

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:

This stinks of someone trying it on, I wouldn't budge on the price as you've agreed it and are now in a chain

We had this when selling, we provided every document we had for our 2 year old property (new build) and their solicitor kept demanding the past 5 years servicing certificates for a boiler that had only been in 2 years... I was shocked at these levels of stupidity... The buyer then threatened to pull out or we lower the price as they didn't want to pay for a new boiler!

We stood firm, they crumpled...

We gave them the 2 service certs we had and told them to take it or leave it.

We ended up getting the full asking price despite months of stress, despite us asking HOW THE F WOULD WE HAVE 5 YEAR SERVICE HISTORY FOR A BRAND NEW BOILER IN A BRAND NEW PROPERTY?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Carter said:

This stinks of someone trying it on, I wouldn't budge on the price as you've agreed it and are now in a chain

We had this when selling, we provided every document we had for our 2 year old property (new build) and their solicitor kept demanding the past 5 years servicing certificates for a boiler that had only been in 2 years... I was shocked at these levels of stupidity... The buyer then threatened to pull out or we lower the price as they didn't want to pay for a new boiler!

We stood firm, they crumpled...

We gave them the 2 service certs we had and told them to take it or leave it.

We ended up getting the full asking price despite months of stress, despite us asking HOW THE F WOULD WE HAVE 5 YEAR SERVICE HISTORY FOR A BRAND NEW BOILER IN A BRAND NEW PROPERTY?
    I understand your annoyance and frustration. The levels of stupidity in the property moving business are staggering. Nothing can surprise me
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    5 years ago on the estate i manage we had a small clump of knotweed appear. The course of treatment has just ended for which we have the necessary certificate of eradication.

The solicitor for the buyer of a flat being sold has asked for a guarantee that we won't get knotweed again.
  • Options

The letter we received from his solicitor stated that indemnity insurance would be insufficient in this case. I'm going to ask our solicitor to query that as I'm unsure why that's the case.

We've been told to expect his builders quote today so we'll see what happens

How much Chrissy
  • Options
    Found out this morning the quote is 6 grand :lol:

Needless to say we've told him bollocks and we'll take the house off the market and get the work done ourselves. Piss taker. We'll lose our new house but so be it
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Found out this morning the quote is 6 grand :lol:

Needless to say we've told him bollocks and we'll take the house off the market and get the work done ourselves. Piss taker. We'll lose our new house but so be it

As you say, piss taker. At least getting it done yourself gives you peace of mind when you next put it on the market and you never know, the place you're buying might still be available.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Sorry but I am going to disagree here.
    You have a chimney stack that has been removed with no official sign off from building control.
    A quote of 6 grand to remedy the issue sounds very reasonable to me. I was thinking in my mind nearer 8 grand.
    Are you aware of the work involved getting steels into the loft and associated making good?
    I would swallow that price and move on.
  • Options
    -There are 3 supports in place & it hasn't moved an inch since my partner has lived there (maybe longer as we don't know when the work was done. Could be 25 years ago for all we know), so I respectfully disagree
  • Options

-There are 3 supports in place & it hasn't moved an inch since my partner has lived there (maybe longer as we don't know when the work was done. Could be 25 years ago for all we know), so I respectfully disagree

The problem is not whether its moved but that you haven't got the correct paperwork.
    I think Robbo has a point, on the scale of things 6K isn't much. You could get it done now and get the house you want or get it done then start looking again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have you explored getting retrospective building regs? You may find that there is a fix that they will accept that will, at least, give you the 'certificate' that you need.

I#m not suggesting that you bodge the job just that a decent inspector might be able to accept something that is clearly safe as it's been standing for so long.
    This is an option we're now looking at
  • Options

Are they saying they want 6000 off or you to do the work
  • Options

Have you explored getting retrospective building regs? You may find that there is a fix that they will accept that will, at least, give you the 'certificate' that you need.

I#m not suggesting that you bodge the job just that a decent inspector might be able to accept something that is clearly safe as it's been standing for so long.
    This is an option we're now looking at
    Having said that £6k is not a huge amount of money to keep the family happy. Especially if there is any negotiating to be done.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

6 grand off the asking price. We've offered 2 grand take it or leave it. Although part of me doesn't want to sell to him now! So I hope he doesn't accept!
  • Options

clb74 said:

6 grand off the asking price. We've offered 2 grand take it or leave it. Although part of me doesn't want to sell to him now! So I hope he doesn't accept!
    Is this to take rest of stack Down and patch the roof in
  • Options

clb74 said:

Chrissy, try not to let emotion cloud your judgement. House buying and selling is one of the biggest and most important things we do in our lives.

In the big scheme of things, it's only money.
  • Options
    IF you really want the house you are buying, then personally I'd offer to split the cost 50/50 with your buyer to get the deal done and move on
  • Options

The problem is not whether its moved but that you haven't got the correct paperwork.
    I think Robbo has a point, on the scale of things 6K isn't much. You could get it done now and get the house you want or get it done then start looking again.
    Thats the point i am trying to make.
    i fitted gallow brackets in my last house when I smashed the stack down.
    i did however get calcs done and building control approval.
    The argument isnt whether they are sound, but whether they have documentation.

Your call, but if my family and I had set our hearts on a move and knew I was in the wrong, i would suffer £6k.
    Look at the bigger picture and what £6k means over the life time of a mortgage.

• Options

Sorry but I am going to disagree here.
    You have a chimney stack that has been removed with no official sign off from building control.
    A quote of 6 grand to remedy the issue sounds very reasonable to me. I was thinking in my mind nearer 8 grand.
    Are you aware of the work involved getting steels into the loft and associated making good?
    I would swallow that price and move on.

You would take the 1st price someone's told you so if it was £8000 you would just knock the £8000 off without even looking into things.
  • Options
    Call in Syd Bishop!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't profess to know about these matters but as a general principle my understanding is that work carried out before new regulations are introduced is deemed OK as regulations are not retrospective.

You get caught when you improve and /or repair or update.

I appears that 2010 Building Regulations would cover the work in question if it was to be done now. http://pentacon.co.uk/chimney-breast-removal.html

You state this work was carried out a minimum of 12 years ago so, unless the 1996 Party Wall Act was not complied with, I'm not sure why 2010 Building Regulations would apply.

In your position I would ask my advisors this question.

• Options

I think your buyer has a valid point.
    To be fair, it would make me wonder what other work had been done "under the radar".
    I think you should accept the fact that there was no planning consent for the stack removal and prepare to take a hit.

I'm prepared to accept that, even though it was done before my partner moved into the property. I wIll await our buyers quote. I suspect it will be for a full knock down and rebuild. If this is the case, I will argue that a steal beam under the stack & a steal plate will be sufficient
    Shouldn't your partner's surveyor have noticed if there is a problem?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

I don't profess to know about these matters but as a general principle my understanding is that work carried out before new regulations are introduced is deemed OK as regulations are not retrospective.

You get caught when you improve and /or repair or update.

I appears that 2010 Building Regulations would cover the work in question if it was to be done now. http://pentacon.co.uk/chimney-breast-removal.html

You state this work was carried out a minimum of 12 years ago so, unless the 1996 Party Wall Act was not complied with, I'm not sure why 2010 Building Regulations would apply.

In your position I would ask my advisors this question.

Yes thanks guys. I've contacted the local regulation authority & they've suggested I should apply for retrospective regulisation . This would mean, as long as the structure is stable, current regulations would not apply
    Don't be daft just knock the £6000 off
  • Options

clb74 said:

Look at it the other way. Sell it to him and start thinking of all the little 'presents' you can leave behind when you hand over the keys.
  • Options
    addix said:

clb74 said:

Look at it the other way. Sell it to him and start thinking of all the little 'presents' you can leave behind when you hand over the keys.
    Unless I'm missing something what has the buyer done wrong exactly?
  • Options
    addix said:

clb74 said:

That's a disgusting suggestion. The morality of posters on this site sickens me.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Talal said:

addix said:

clb74 said:

Unless I'm missing something what has the buyer done wrong exactly?
    My understanding is that the buyer could and morally should have raised the issue earlier in the process rather than trying to extort an eleventh hour price reduction.....
    Exactly this. We agreed the sale 3 months ago, he threw this curveball in last week & now wants to knock 6 grand off