Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Renewing your driving licence change of address on line!

Jezuz H Christ......I cannot believe the amount of info they require!
Just spent a good 25 minutes on this seemingly simple task, running around the house getting passport number, Gateway Info, details off my old licence which I never even knew existed or have previously been asked for, Nat Ins number.....plus a whole reame of questions and various personal details.....pages of shit, I kid you not!
Welcome to the new world I guess......it was simpler to get a passport and all I wanted to do was change my f'ing address!
Anyone who is about to do this make sure you have all of the above (and more), to hand before you start. You're in for a surprise.
Absolutely extraordinary!

Comments

• I feel your pain.

I have just bought a new build house, one house in a small plot of four and due to this my new post code is not populating the address section on the web site. When I try to enter it manually it still wont have it so I have had to apply for the forms by post.
  • Oh no, not good to read. I've got to do mine soon but been putting it of for the last few months.

How much will this cost me?
  • WSAWSA
    edited July 2017
    Be careful here as I got hit by a scam when I tried to change my Driving Licence photo online a few years ago. One of the links took me to a look-alike site and when I paid for the photo, they took further payments from my account.

My bank's Fraud Department got involved and reimbursed me.

Googling it now, the articles are quite old so hopefully the problem has gone away now.
  • Stewart said:

Oh no, not good to read. I've got to do mine soon but been putting it of for the last few months.

Well as far as I can gather....... nothing.
    I was never asked for or redirected to a payment page.....only a confirmation that I had completed the application.......got me worried now!
  • Stewart said:

Oh no, not good to read. I've got to do mine soon but been putting it of for the last few months.

I would advise you to do it asap in case the following happens to you:

I forget to do mine when I moved a couple of years ago & earlier this year I rec'd a letter from a bailiff saying that they would be calling to collect a debt of £400. Having no knowledge of any such debt I immediately called them to enquire what it was all about.

It seemed like I had got a parking ticket last April when I parked in a car park in Bexleyheath to go to the Ipswich away game. As I always pay my parking tickets & thinking back couldn't remember getting one that evening I asked for more details.

It transpired that Bexley council had written to my previous address as this is what the DVLA had. As I had moved from there over 9 months previously the re-direction service had expired and I didn't get any of their demands or even the court summons. In the absence of any replies from me they had taken me to court (for a £45 penalty charge) and obviously won & now had set the bailiffs onto me (funny how the bailiffs found me within days but the council didn't during the proceeding year)

I appealed against this, saying that I had no knowledge of the fine of the court summons as they had been writing to the wrong address for over a year. I showed then council tax statements & letters from my solicitor showing the date of the respective house sale & new purchase. The court junction was set aside & the council was asked to start again.

The post script to all this is that the council still hadn't sent me the original parking charge notice (PCN) even though I had requested this 3 times whilst the above set aside was going on. On my last e-mail to them I said that if I didn't receive it within the next 7 days I would consider the matter closed as I had no knowledge of ever getting a ticket in the first place and would like to see the evidence (Golfie Jnr was with me that evening when we went to Ipswich & he was adamant that not only had he bought a ticket whilst I parked up but there was not a PCN on the windscreen when we got back around midnight that evening). 20 mins after sending that email I received a reply saying that they had "reviewed the material & it appears that the ticket had not be issued correctly so the matter was now closed" !!!!!

I can only assume that there was never a ticket, or the parking attendant had written it out but not put it on my windscreen & all parts of the ticket were still together.

• Stewart said:

I forget to do mine when I moved a couple of years ago & earlier this year I rec'd a letter from a bailiff saying that they would be calling to collect a debt of £400. Having no knowledge of any such debt I immediately called them to enquire what it was all about.

It seemed like I had got a parking ticket last April when I parked in a car park in Bexleyheath to go to the Ipswich away game. As I always pay my parking tickets & thinking back couldn't remember getting one that evening I asked for more details.

It transpired that Bexley council had written to my previous address as this is what the DVLA had. As I had moved from there over 9 months previously the re-direction service had expired and I didn't get any of their demands or even the court summons. In the absence of any replies from me they had taken me to court (for a £45 penalty charge) and obviously won & now had set the bailiffs onto me (funny how the bailiffs found me within days but the council didn't during the proceeding year)

I appealed against this, saying that I had no knowledge of the fine of the court summons as they had been writing to the wrong address for over a year. I showed then council tax statements & letters from my solicitor showing the date of the respective house sale & new purchase. The court junction was set aside & the council was asked to start again.

The post script to all this is that the council still hadn't sent me the original parking charge notice (PCN) even though I had requested this 3 times whilst the above set aside was going on. On my last e-mail to them I said that if I didn't receive it within the next 7 days I would consider the matter closed as I had no knowledge of ever getting a ticket in the first place and would like to see the evidence (Golfie Jnr was with me that evening when we went to Ipswich & he was adamant that not only had he bought a ticket whilst I parked up but there was not a PCN on the windscreen when we got back around midnight that evening). 20 mins after sending that email I received a reply saying that they had "reviewed the material & it appears that the ticket had not be issued correctly so the matter was now closed" !!!!!

I can only assume that there was never a ticket, or the parking attendant had written it out but not put it on my windscreen & all parts of the ticket were still together.

But there may still be a County Court judgement against you Golfie......I'd check if I were you.
    They say they have set it aside and should have contacted the courts to say so....but HAVE they?
    The answer may not be to your liking!
  • Stewart said:

Well as far as I can gather....... nothing.
    I was never asked for or redirected to a payment page.....only a confirmation that I had completed the application.......got me worried now!
    No don’t worry, you are most definitely right.

I just presumed we would be to pay for it.

• I renewed mine after being out of the country for 6 years a couple of months ago and thought it was really easy.....just saying.
  • Stewart said:

Thanks for that Golfy, Interesting read. I’m going to pull my finger out and do it this weekend.

• Sponsored links:

• I did it recently and found it quite easy. I should have changed it in 2005!
  • Stewart said:

But there may still be a County Court judgement against you Golfie......I'd check if I were you.
    They say they have set it aside and should have contacted the courts to say so....but HAVE they?
    The answer may not be to your liking!
    No problem. I have the paperwork saying that its all been cancelled.
  • Lost mine a couple of months ago so got a new one. Remember being impressed with how easy it was
  • TEL said:

I renewed mine after being out of the country for 6 years a couple of months ago and thought it was really easy.....just saying.

One or two of you saying how easy it was......did you get asked all the questions I was asked I wonder, mine was a nightmare and very intrusive.
  • edited July 2017
    Don't you know online is one word. Unless you are over the age if 60 in whixh case it's 'on the line'! ;)
  • edited July 2017

Don't you know online is one word. Unless you are over the age if 60 in whixh case it's 'on the line'! ;)

No I didn't know but then again I'm almost 70!
    By the way..............which is spelt with a c not an x......LOL!
  • Don't you know online is one word. Unless you are over the age if 60 in whixh case it's 'on the line'! ;)

No I didn't know but then again I'm almost 70!
    I'll let you off then! :p
  • paper ---20years old---moved 3times with original address on paper one

They used my passport pic for the new one,asked loads of questions but it was easy and arrived in 3 weeks
  • I never said it wasn't easy using the web site, I couldn't use it because it did not recognise my post code.