Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I'm surprised but I find myself totally peed of with

Hermann. No wonder he played like at pillock at Ewood Park. Relegation isn't going to hurt when you know you can walk away for nothing and possibly get a better deal and a nice big signing on fee at another PL club. As far as I'm concerned good riddance !! He really has annoyed me.

Comments

• Options
    Have to ask though, why do clubs allow these kind of clauses in a contract? Like you say, he was playing in a relegation scrap, knowing he could just walk away at the end of it.... hardly ideal is it?
  • Options
    Hear hear Large - crap player anyway and thought he was better than he was.
  • Options
    He has been relegated about 4 or 5 times and has never stayed once his team has gone down. Says it all really.
  • Options
    don't understand why at all.

A lot of people change jobs, to get new challanges every few years in every other field, yet its only really in football where cries of disloyalty get banded around.

Hermann did his best when he was with us, was a good character but a limited player. He's probably only got one decent contract left in him, i certainly don't begrudge him for taking it.

What does suprise me though is his choice of club, though perheps he feels it will suit him at this stage of his career not playing week in, week out.
  • Options
    If he plays left back his rival is Traore. He'll play most weeks then!
  • Options
    I thought he was the best thing since sliced bread when we first signed him. Bombing down the left side and really dangerous from set pieces.

Last couple of season though he has cost us lots of goals and seems to be permanantly injured.

Good man though, strong character and borderline physcotic.

Fair play to him as I don't think we'll miss him in the fizzy pops
  • Options
    i thought he was great, not the most talented but certainly one of the most committed to the cause

despite mistakes, injuries, when he pulled on that shirt he gave everything. to every moan at the ref/lino, every dig at their strikers, everything, he was determined to win every game.

good luck at pompey herman!
  • Options
    I think he stayed at Ipswich, but then we signed him towards the end of their first relegation year.
  • Options
    I know what you're saying AFKA, but relegation doesn't really exist in other businesses. It's difficult to compare this instance to any other job. It's not comparable to a company going bust, as Charlton will continue to exist

I understand what Large is saying and part of me does think how much is anyones heart in something when they know that they'll be fine whatever the outcome... that said I don't imagine that many players will be on the breadline or be short of another club because of relegation.

As for including a clause in the contract, clubs are quite happy to specify they will pay players less should they be relegated, i have no problems with clauses that favour the players in return...
  • Options
    I have to agree with Smudge on this one. He's been a great servant for the club, likely to have not been a 1st choice for us anyway....Good luck to him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just hated the way he would argue with the officlas and usually end up being cautioned for dissent. Just so silly when he's got the rest of the game on a tightrope.
  • Options
    Glad you posted that Large...I thought it was just me who felt that way and I couldn't decide whether or not it was justified.

I can see why we should send him off with our best wishes and I wish I could but it still irks me...I think it's like Medders says, in hindsight, how completely commited was he to the cause knowing he'd be able to walk away from it all?

Here we go again...thinking it matters as much to the players as it does us....never learn do we?!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]I just hated the way he would argue with the officlas and usually end up being cautioned for dissent. Just so silly when he's got the rest of the game on a tightrope.

An Icelandic Robbo?
  • Options
    Was annoying why he was always up in the refs face even when it was not him invloved

As for the club giving him that clause nightmare
  • Options
    poor business on behalf of RM and co that they had that clause in his contract...as we were always candidates for relegation....not so bad now but a few years ago when he was half decent. This and a few other decisions this decisions by RM and co this year have left me wondering.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]poor business on behalf of RM and co that they had that clause in his contract...as we were always candidates for relegation....not so bad now but a few years ago when he was half decent. This and a few other decisions this decisions by RM and co this year have left me wondering.

Maybe but if he was still under contract on a high wage which we couldn't afford with no one would take him for a fee where would that us left us? Having to give him a free transfer to get him off the wage bill - which is in effect what we did - or have one very expensive and aging full back on the books. As it has worked out the number of players out of contract has worked out to our favour as we haven't been left with as many high earners we can't shed as say Ipswich or Leeds.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and sometimes you have to agree to contract and terms that you may not always be 100% happy with or that have a degree of risk to get someone to sign. Remember HH was also wanted by pomepy when we got him so he was in a strong bargaining position.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]don't understand why at all.

A lot of people change jobs, to get new challanges every few years in every other field, yet its only really in football where cries of disloyalty get banded around.

No one is accusing L Varney or Iwelumo of disloyalty for moving to us unless they are Crewe or Colchester fans. When players move TO your club they are making a step up, a good signing but when they move FROM your club they are disloyal and money grabbing. Go figure.

And the players from which we demand this loyalty will be discarded and dismissed as "deadwood" or "rubbish" soon enough if they don't meet the standards demanded by the same fans.

We can't have it both ways. As AFKA says it's a business and people change jobs. The only factor that matters to me is that some players move on with dignity (Robert Lee, Scott Minto, Lee Bowyer )and some don't (Parker and Mills).
  • Options
    What wages was he on? Must have been reasonably decent, I can't see him playing that often for us - especially as we have Gibbs, Diawara, Bogherra, El K, Thatcher etc on the books. We have to save money and rebuild, so while a transfer fee would have been good getting a bit part player off the books is surely good business.
  • Options
    This is a lot of fuss about nothing, as Henry says, many players have this clause in their contract when they join a Premiership club and he would have insisted on it because of his previous relegation history. It's worked out well for us anyway, he gave us some good years and now we are giving him a free at the age of 33 when we know he's past it. No big deal.
  • Options
    I actually feel Herman will be missed more on a day to day basis at the training ground than he will on the pitch.

We'll be losing some quite strong characters this summer, and we didn't have many leaders to start with, and this is something Pardew is going to have to address.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely in contract negotiations you give a little and you take a little. It would not surprise me if, as a result of having that cluase put into his contract, HH earned less per week than he might have done? Therefore saving the club a pretty penny over the last few years?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I actually feel Herman will be missed more on a day to day basis at the training ground than he will on the pitch.

We'll be losing some quite strong characters this summer, and we didn't have many leaders to start with, and this is something Pardew is going to have to address.

That's a good point, AFKA. We form our opinions of players on what we see in actual matches but none of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes. Players may express themselves very differently.....SuperKev, for instance is said to be a worldbeater on the training ground, but clearly doesn't have the confidence to perform to his natural ability on the main stage. Then you've got the comedians who can lift the atmosphere after a bad result, senior pro's who maybe help bring along and give support to an inexperienced player, and those who are mentally stronger than others and assume responsibilities of leadership. JFH was much maligned by by most supporters but word is that he was a strong positive influence at Sparrows Lane.

The very essence of the 2 previous promotion teams was their resilience and never say die attitude - and it's something that has often appeared lacking in the past few seasons. When he first took over, I recall Pards singling out HH and Holland as the type of character he was depending on. He will be very mindful of looking to bring
    in players with the right mindset this summer
  • Options
    That's why it's good news that Holland is (reportedly) getting a new one-year deal.

Young and Bent may have been wearing the captain's armband last season, but at most times there seemed to be only one man who was trying to lead the team.

He may not have been everyone's cup of tea in the past, but he seemed to gain some new respect over the last few months and might prove to still be a very good Championship player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]That's why it's good news that Holland is (reportedly) getting a new one-year deal.

Young and Bent may have been wearing the captain's armband last season, but at most times there seemed to be only one man who was trying to lead the team.

He may not have been everyone's cup of tea in the past, but he seemed to gain some new respect over the last few months and might prove to still be a very good Championship player.

Spot on!
  • Options
    Yes, at the Blackburn game at Ewood it was really only Holland who was geeing them up when Thatcher got sent-off, sadly not enough of his team-mates shared his passion for the team.
  • Options
    I realised how times had changed at Anfield - I was excited about Holland on the pitch, and hoping Hughes would come on!!! WTF!!

At least they look like they care and have some fight. I can't condone most of Holland's performances the last 2-3 seasons - but I have so much more respect for him since AP took over.

The likes of JFH and Mucus Bent in a CAFC shirt leave me livid.
  • Options
    Mucus Bent.....LOL!