Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many on here were at all three of these games.....?

Play off final v Leeds
Valley Return v Pompey
Play off final v Sunderland.

Not many i would of thought.....

How would you of ranked them ?

Comments

• Options
    Probably more than you think. About 50k were at Wembley and at least 30k were at the first game back at the Valley if you believe everyone who says 'i was there'.
  • Options
    yes...

1) Wembley
    2) Valley Return
    3) Leeds

although very difficult to actually put them in order as they were all fantastic days/games in their own right.
  • Options
    i was at st andrews

and the other 2
  • Options
    Yep at all three!

Hard to rate them against each other really because the significance of each was slightly different.

For sheer exhausting excitement and tension - the play off final at Wembley.

For emotion and nostalga reasons - the return.

For relief (probably unexpected given the circumstances) - the play off against Leeds
  • Options
    I'll be honest I was only at one (Wembley) but I think it would be to hard to chart them if I had been.

I know a few that were though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Play off final v Leeds
    Valley Return v Pompey

Not many i would of thought.....

How would you of ranked them ?

Yes,

1. Valley Return
    2. Wembley
    3. St. Andrews
  • Options
    2 of them. Not the Leeds game. Although I do remember being about 8 and my brother telling me that we had to listen to the radio in my room because it was bad luck listening to it in his room.
  • Options
    Two out of three.

Pompey back at the Valley along with the other 22,000 addicks that were also there

And Wembley
  • Options
    valley and wembley but not leeds. although i've got a copy on video somewhere.
  • Options
    Only one - Wembley - although I was in the Oak and watching from a Garden over looking the East Bank for the Pompey game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed the Leeds game, on holiday.
  • Options
    "East Bank"? Isn't that in the Middle East?
  • Options
    only wembley for me
  • Options
    All three for me. was also at the last game at the Valley against Stoke in 1985 and still have the leaflet that I was given the game before against Palace telling us that we were moving.
  • Options
    Only Wembley for me. Tried and failed to get a ticket for the Return.

Was tied up with work for the Leeds game and listened on the radio driving home.

Turned my aerial round (a la Rod Hull) at Silly o'clock to watch grainy coverage on Thames TV or whatever it was called then.
  • Options
    was working at charlton for the pompey game in the VIP lounge at the back of the west stand..
    at the time it was a series of portacabins for the VIP, bartrams, dining lounge & the press office..
  • Options
    Just Wembley for me too. Couldn't get a ticket for the return to The Valley and my first was born 8 days prior to the Leeds replay so no chance there.

I wouldn't swap the other two for Wembley though.
  • Options
    Went to all three. I am a true fan.
  • Options
    Didn't make St Andrews coz I was battle scarred from the Elland Road encounter but I did get to the other two
  • Options
    Play off final v Leeds
    Valley Return v Pompey

I was at all three...

1 -Leeds, outnumbered, end of the season, 1-0 down coming back to win. Plus the trip to and from the ground everything about the day I can remember, even running to the station to catch the train and eating one of those vile burgers that British Rail used to sell.

2 - Wembley, just everything, but whereas we were running on empty for Leeds here we were strong and meting Sunderland on equal terms.

3 - Pompey, a homecoming what more needs to be said?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I saw the Leeds games at Selhurst Park & Elland Road, but missed St. Andrews for work reasons. As a proud member of Valley Gold since the start, I was there for the Portsmouth game. Wembley, of course, goes without saying.
  • Options
    All three.

Couldn't possibly put them in order. They're all special on their own, unique way

Wembley - What a day. Winning this match enabled a period of growth and stability not known for 70 years.. Absoulutely drained by the end of the game. To have been at such a spectacle and to have come out on top.... A Privilidge.

Pompy at the Valley - A day of celebration not known in my lifetime as a Charlton supporter, marched from Woolwich to the Valley. For me, it wouldn't have mattered if we'd ahve won or lost this match, the day was about something else. To be home having crossed all the financial and political obstacles in our way made this a day of triumph.

Leeds - Quite simply, it we'd lost this match there probably wouln't have been a Charlton to support today. At the time we were in a bad financial state, camping at sellout park with rubbidh gates and relegation would, quite probably, have seen the club fold.

As I said, all equally important but in different ways.
  • Options
    saw all 3
    1) st andrew' s cos i really hate leeds
    2) wembley
    3)returning home
  • Options
    Only one - Wembley

I was at the Valley for the Pompey game but didn' t have a ticket due to a f*ck up by my Dad who failed to send off for them in time. I watched some of the prematch stuff from a vantage point up Charlton Lane by the Sam Bartram entrance until the old bill moved us away.

Couldn't get to Leeds due to work commitments.
  • Options
    I missed the St Andrews Leeds game...
  • Options
    All 3 for me too, but couldn't put any sort of order to them
  • Options
    Missed the Leeds one. Tried to listen on the radio but Gillingham - Swindon (i think) was on commentary! School mate of mine suggested going to Elland Road because he thought Leeds played in Kent near the castle!
  • Options
    All of them
  • Options
    I was at all 3 and all 3 were very special.
    A lot has been written regarding Wembley over the years , not so much about the Leeds play-off game, yet that was equally important to the club.

I'll never forget the 16000 Leeds fans reaction as the game ended!!!
  • Options
    did both legs of the leeds game but missed the reply. Was at both the others and the 817 game v Bradford