Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transfer window to shut before Premier League season starts next year

2»

Comments

• Options
    About bloody time too.
  • Options
    it was pointed out in the press today that Burnley got a win at a weakened Chelsea, no Hazard for example, ignore the sending off ..
    Burnley, it could be argued are relegation candidates .. now, supposing that Conté gets the mere £100 million or so that he claims to need to strengthen his squad and spends it all on superstars before 31/8 .. when (e.g.) Huddersfield and (say) Swansea, other possibles for the drop, come to Stamford Bridge they could well be facing a much stronger Chelsea line up than that faced by Burnley .. (food for thought)
    this would not occur of course if the 'window' slammed shut on the midnight before the first premier game of the season
  • Options
    Makes a lot of sense to me. Personally i would get rid of the January transfer window as well, but i doubt that will happen.
  • Options

it was pointed out in the press today that Burnley got a win at a weakened Chelsea, no Hazard for example, ignore the sending off ..
    Burnley, it could be argued are relegation candidates .. now, supposing that Conté gets the mere £100 million or so that he claims to need to strengthen his squad and spends it all on superstars before 31/8 .. when (e.g.) Huddersfield and (say) Swansea, other possibles for the drop, come to Stamford Bridge they could well be facing a much stronger Chelsea line up than that faced by Burnley .. (food for thought)
    this would not occur of course if the 'window' slammed shut on the midnight before the first premier game of the season

As true as this is there are lots of reasons as to why one a club will field stronger sides for different games. I've always thought, for example, that if a star is sent off in the last few minutes of a game they win the teams that play them when he's suspended benefit more than the team that suffers the foul etc.

This will apply to the games that Cahill and Fabregras miss coming up. One of which is against Spurs who might win the game because of it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is football and the more the variables are removed the more predictable the results will be. Look at F1 for a blueprint of what happens if you allow the top sides to protect their position.

This is one of the reasons that football is so great - every so often a Burnley will beat a Chelsea. In reality the side that started against Burnley would beat the bottom six in, at least, eight out of ten times. It was the sendings off that made the difference not the lack of yet another £50m player.

Lincs I do get your point, I just like as much unpredictability in football as possible, and not just because we are a relatively small and crap club these days.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

About time. They should close the January window as well as only allowing prem teams to loan out a maximum of 5 players. The 30-40 players Chelsea loan out each season is a disgrace even if it has benefited us with Da Silva. They should also ban these teams buying foreign youngsters then sending on loan back abroad, what's the point of that.

Been saying this for years.
    It would take a while but I think over time youngsters would realise by signing for big sides, you are more than likely looking at spending the length of your contract playing every other week as a sub for the under 23s on a Monday afternoon in front of a few dozen people. Or you could push for a place in the first team at a lower level.
    If you took the circa 35 Chelsea players on loan. Limit it to five. That's thirty players trying to get in an under 23 squad that is already able to fulfil fixtures.
    Even if half of them realised this, that's 15 players filtering down the league pyramid from one club.
    On the transfer window front. I'd have January and July as windows both for players and managers.
  • Options

The transfer window should open the day after the season finishes and close the day before the season starts.
    With a 14 day window in January.

this .. except for the 'January window' .. one 'window' a year is enough, though many TV and newspaper pundits would be out of a job
    Best to look on the bright side.
  • Options
    2010:
    'Premier League clubs are required to name squads of 25 players, eight of whom must be homegrown. Clubs are permitted to select a maximum of 17 foreign players, while there are no limits on the number of under-21 players.'

The under 21 bit was supposed to encourage the big clubs to promote young talent. I don't think it's worked.
    There should be a cap to stop the likes of Chelsea Hoovering up so many young players.
  • Options
    There also needs to be a cap put on the amount of players you can loan out to stop teams like Chelsea buying up every prospect in Europe and stunting player development.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good, as controversial as it might be I'd also be tempted to go as far as telling teams they can only change their managers in these windows too.

Feck me, Roland would have to have a squad system of managers to get round that. Sign 11 managers before the window shuts and worry about the players at a later date. Maybe rest one and someone can pick the team when we play in the Karaoke cup or whatever its called this week :)
  • Options
    dizzee said:

There also needs to be a cap put on the amount of players you can loan out to stop teams like Chelsea buying up every prospect in Europe and stunting player development.

This.
    Chelsea have more players out on loan than we have in our entire squad.
    Fucking obscene
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Something I've been in favor of for a long time. My concern is the law of unintended consequences, i.e. will there be trickle down effects for clubs further down the pyramid, like with the ending of the emergency loan system where that makes a lot of sense on many levels, but it means that we can't loan out some of our youngsters with the ability to recall them or on a short-term basis.

that's already been scrapped
    Right, and what I'm saying is that I think it has had some negative impacts for us because it means we can't loan some of our youngsters (KAG, Hanlan, Umerah) to league clubs for a month or two, or even have the ability to recall them should we need them.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Something I've been in favor of for a long time. My concern is the law of unintended consequences, i.e. will there be trickle down effects for clubs further down the pyramid, like with the ending of the emergency loan system where that makes a lot of sense on many levels, but it means that we can't loan out some of our youngsters with the ability to recall them or on a short-term basis.

Right, and what I'm saying is that I think it has had some negative impacts for us because it means we can't loan some of our youngsters (KAG, Hanlan, Umerah) to league clubs for a month or two, or even have the ability to recall them should we need them.
    We are just doing what's Chelsea do though aren't we? Just on a smaller scale. We have even sold youth players with just a couple of first team games.

If Chelsea doing it seems unfair from our perspective then I guess there will be clubs in the bottom half of the 4th division that would prefer that our youngsters were on their books from age 12 than being in our 'Academy' only to be loaned out a few times then sold off at a profit.

It's not as clear cut as it, at first looks, seems.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

About time. They should close the January window as well as only allowing prem teams to loan out a maximum of 5 players. The 30-40 players Chelsea loan out each season is a disgrace even if it has benefited us with Da Silva. They should also ban these teams buying foreign youngsters then sending on loan back abroad, what's the point of that.

Chelsea make me laugh, moaning about the size of their squad....recall some f**king players then (or don't loan so many out!)....if they aren't good enough then don't sign them
    to be fair even Chelsea fans i know are pissed off with this. Loaning out the likes of Loftus-cheek and Baker then looking to spend 25m+ on Danny Drinkwater!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I don't think that is negative though. If Da Silva was able to be recalled in October, then we wouldn't be very happy would we if our squad was left short?

So why should we be able to loan out the likes of KAG and recall them whenever we see fit.

It is all about the Prem which I detest. But at the same time, although the financial differences do change things, I am not a fan of a team building a squad only for the parent club to throw plans into disarray when recalling whenever they want.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

Chelsea make me laugh, moaning about the size of their squad....recall some f**king players then (or don't loan so many out!)....if they aren't good enough then don't sign them
    to be fair even Chelsea fans i know are pissed off with this. Loaning out the likes of Loftus-cheek and Baker then looking to spend 25m+ on Danny Drinkwater!
    £40m is what I have heard ... ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    And it's over.

Premier League clubs have voted to return the transfer window back inline with the rest of Europe and the Summer Transfer Window will now close at 17:00 on 1st September 2020
  • Options
    And it's over.

Premier League clubs have voted to return the transfer window back inline with the rest of Europe and the Summer Transfer Window will now close at 17:00 on 1st September 2020
    I'm in utter shock!!

Of course I get the reason for wanting to change back

But still not surprised in the slightest
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The only surprise is that's its 5PM, all those reporters that Sky Sports have at training grounds all day will get a nice early night
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good.

I also think that each leagues window should shut one week after the one above.
  • Options
    The only surprise is that's its 5PM, all those reporters that Sky Sports have at training grounds all day will get a nice early night
    Sue Parkes  is fed up with Chris arriving home late on transfer deadline day and the PL clubs eventually gave in
  • Options
    5pm is a bit early for a "deadline". Late offers & scrambling around for a player to get to the other side of the country......esp approaching rush hour. 

Not really been thought through that well. 
  • Options
    5pm is a bit early for a "deadline". Late offers & scrambling around for a player to get to the other side of the country......esp approaching rush hour. 

Easy answer, dont wait till deadline day
  • Options

Easy answer, dont wait till deadline day
    But according to MS prices fall the nearer you get to deadline day......and on the day itself you can pick up a real bargain.. 🤔.
  • Options
    And it's over.

As others have said 5pm seems a bit weird/early. And why 1 September?

Surely would've made more sense for the deadline to just be the end of August.

11pm on 31 August in England which is midnight in the other big leagues.
  • Options
    Would have agreed with the 1st Sept deadline had the 31st been a Saturday but its a Monday, really odd decision from the powers that be as that new deadline could now fall on a League Cup night for a lot of clubs*

*Of course we wont be one of them
  • Options
    They’ve done it for September 1st because 31st August is a UK Bank Holiday this year.