Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Who + Henry Purcell

The greatest English composer:

In 2009 Pete Townshend of The Who, an English rock band that established itself in the 1960s, identified Purcell's harmonies, particularly the use of suspension and resolution that Townshend had learned from producer Kit Lambert, as an influence on the band's music (in songs such as "Won't Get Fooled Again" (1971), "I Can See for Miles" (1967) and the very Purcellian intro to "Pinball Wizard").[

Comments

• Options
    Solidgone said:

The greatest English composer:

In 2009 Pete Townshend of The Who, an English rock band that established itself in the 1960s, identified Purcell's harmonies, particularly the use of suspension and resolution that Townshend had learned from producer Kit Lambert, as an influence on the band's music (in songs such as "Won't Get Fooled Again" (1971), "I Can See for Miles" (1967) and the very Purcellian intro to "Pinball Wizard").[

in what learnéd tome did you find that ? .. it sounds very feasible
  • Options
    ere we go.. its musical pseuds corner
  • Options

Kit Lambert was the son of English composer and conductor Constant Lambert.
    Kit's godfather was the composer William Walton and his godmother was ballerina Margot Fonteyn, who danced for Constant's company, the Royal Ballet.
    Kit Lambert co-managed The Who with Chris Stamp. Chris's brother is actor Terence Stamp. In 1974 Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert were replaced as managers of The Who by Bill Curbishley. Bill's brother is Alan Curbishley.

saw the Who in the early days at the Witchdoctor in Catford .. 'Can't Explain' had just started to hit but the band was still mostly reliant on old Eddie Cochrane and Beach Boys numbers .. anyway

Bizzarely, Lambert and Stamp spent the whole very short gig crawling about on top of the huge PA stack .. they were dressed in some kind of latex onesies and were beckoning the south London lovlies towards them, when they would set about them (gently mind you) with authentic looking whips .. they were a huge hit (lol) with the ladies and covered up for the band who were absolutely useless and appeared not to give a fuck about the gig or the audience .. it took me a long time to forgive them for that awful mess, just taking the piss ..
    I guess that Curbs senior brought sense and discipline to them and turned them into the great band they became ..
    Lambert & Stamp appeared to be couple of strange boy reprobates .. wonder how much they got for the Who's contract .. an offer they couldn't refuse ?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Kit Lambert was the son of English composer and conductor Constant Lambert.
    Kit's godfather was the composer William Walton and his godmother was ballerina Margot Fonteyn, who danced for Constant's company, the Royal Ballet.
    Kit Lambert co-managed The Who with Chris Stamp. Chris's brother is actor Terence Stamp. In 1974 Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert were replaced as managers of The Who by Bill Curbishley. Bill's brother is Alan Curbishley.

Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp.....also known in the business as Lambretta and Postage.
  • Options
    I remember listening to a recording on the radio of Pete Townsend talking about the influence of Purcell on his music. I will try and dig it out. The reason why I posted this was that I came across this again recently and nudge my memory of the radio broadcast. I just love the way that successful musicians research into music to develop their own identity but habe the grace to acknowledge their peers without arrogance.
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Some people like to know and of course there are those that don't. Your choice.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

lolwray said:

no offence intended ....
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Solidgone said:

lolwray said:

no offence intended ....
    None taken :0)