Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JFH. Was he the only end of career star who flopped?

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
I was just thinking, given that we have just lost JFH, and he failed to make an impact, and we are linked with Teddy, (on the condition that he has a place in the car park for his zimmer frame), what other former stars did we sign who made as little impact as Jimmy?

I can think of a few

Ray Crawford (former Ipswich etc striker)
Maurice Setters
? Ron Saunders (never saw him play)
John Barnes

Any body come up with any more names?

Comments

• Options
    Neil Redfearn!!
  • Options
    I'd argue that John Barnes wasn't such a flop as everyone thinks.

He came to us at a time when we were seriously struggling to create anything and whilst he may not have had that much impact on the pitch himself, having him around the training ground, giving advice and guidance and just being a presence / name, I think made a lot of difference and perhaps halted that awful run that we were on at the time and therefore gave us a chance of staying up.

Curbs certainly said so much in his in book.
  • Options
    Ron Saunders did the biz with us in '66/67. Strong focused centre forward. Made things happen.

Jack Burkitt, over the hill full back from W Ham, in late 60's. Slow and dithery.

Jorge Costa (especially for AFKA) ;-)
  • Options
    Jesper thingy wotsit.

I know he'd had injuries but how on Earth does he have a Champ League medal........In fact how on Earth does Djimi as well?
  • Options
    Mike Small

End of discussion :-)
  • Options
    Dennis Bailey....

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Failures:

Eamon Dunphy

Harry Cripps (on the pitch good influence off)

Colin Appleton (His ears made Jeffers look small!)

Successes:

Paolo Di Canio

Cliff Holton

Mark Bright

Agree with the others mentioned. Would reiterate that Saunders was good for us.
  • Options
    Certainly with CharltonDan on this- John Barnes was great to watch and sheer class- if not a tad overweight ( who am i to talk)
  • Options
    Couple of blokes from Spurs...

Terry Naylor and Don McAllister
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, they weren't great.

What about Barry Endean? Don't remember him doing much.

I agree with Len about Cripps.

As for Saunders, I'm glad people have put me right, cos I never saw him play for us.

What about Gordon Riddick?

As for the good ones, well Mark Bright and Paulo stand out for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    john barnes - a failure?
    imo although he didn't have the legs, barnes was 2-3 passes ahead of everyone apart from martin pringle (cue are you avin a laugh posts).
    seriously think pringle could have made more of an impact if given the service.

others not yet mentioned
    success-mark bowen
    failure-chris whyte, robbie mustoe.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Couple of blokes from Spurs...

Terry Naylor and Don McAllister[/quote]

Naylor won player of the year, so he surely can't be called a flop.
  • Options
    Forgotten about Mark Bown, can't remember him putting a foot wrong when he joined us in the promotion year, good shout for the list. Also I think it's pretty tough calling Barnes a failure. We didn't buy him to tear up the wing, we got him to play the killer ball that no one else was/could produce at that level and i can remember enough defence splitting passes to justify that.

p.s. Redfearn on a 'stars' list - lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Couple of blokes from Spurs...

Terry Naylor and Don McAllister

Naylor won player of the year, so he surely can't be called a flop.
    Nor can Don McAllister - he was a decent player for us.
  • Options
    Garth Crooks would have to be in the "hit" list, no doubt. His goals helped keep us up in 87/88 and 88/89.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    "King" Arthur Horsfield in the success category also David Young.

Leighton Phillips failure
  • Options
    Paul Miller? Now that's a tough one to call....success, I would have to say despite his sour ending.

Joe McLaughlin - Failure

Colin Pates - Success, just.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Paul Miller? Now that's a tough one to call....success, I would have to say despite his sour ending.

Joe McLaughlin - Failure

Colin Pates - Success, just.

I agree all those
  • Options
    Sorry if I'm not with it - but I thought the topic was about internationals or big stars who came to us at the end of their careers and flopped rather than players a bit younger who were at best merely average but couldn't cut it?

With respect, the Barry Endean's and Denis Bailey's etc, don't count, surely?
    And the Millers and McLaughlins were under 30 and went on to play for a number of seasons after leaving us.
  • Options
    You dont have to look too far.

Rommadahl (sorry about spelling) Was a good player when Charlton signed him but they sent over his useless non-footballing twin brother instead.

Shadow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Success: Chris Powell