Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Student Loans/Maintenance Grants advice

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Has he got his coaching badges?

Exotic - I can remember when I thought the isle of wight was exotic!
  • Options
    He did as it was subsidised 50% I think level 1 and 2 I believe
    He's currently back at the uni in Southampton doing a 5 week placement again on about min wage
    He's hoping to get into the media/marketing side of football
    Or to be honest any media/marketing work
    He did meet Matt le tiss a few times so maybe the course was worth it!!
  • Options
    To be fair I think he lived on beans on toast and pot noodles and didn't go out much at all
    Never came back in debt or even used his overdraft so he Defently didn't see it as a 3 year jolly up like most
  • Options
    If he's back in London at all let me know, can't offer anything paid right now but he could potentially help out with David who looks after the media for the Charltons Women's team, something for the CV/experience if nothing else. Has he spoken to CACT?
  • Options

Degree required, £12k, won’t have worry about paying the debt off!
  • Options

After seeing my lad just finish his degree last summer (business/professional football)
    And can't get a decent job over minimum wage
    And to be fair he knuckled down worked hard
    I do have to question is it all worth it
    All the sacrifices made during that time
    Had to sell the Lexus and swap for a Volvo estate and no exotic holidays only Greece every year!!

That doesn’t even rhyme.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If he's back in London at all let me know, can't offer anything paid right now but he could potentially help out with David who looks after the media for the Charltons Women's team, something for the CV/experience if nothing else. Has he spoken to CACT?

Thanks for that will let him know
    Think he's back in about 3 weeks
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

The thing about firsts is that because people pay a lot of money, they expect something for it. Defeats the entire purpose. Equivalent example: me and my boss at the time helped teach in the "LPC" law course at herts uni. A lot of the students were foreign, and basically bankrolled the university because they are charged a lot of money. For that money, they expected to pass. Some of them were shit... My boss gave them low marks for a test. They complained... My boss was basically Larry David's character from curb your enthusiasm. The sparks flew and it was hilarious.

The rules of the game have changed now there are fees. A serious conversation about what uni is and what it should and shouldn't do needs to happen.

This really made me chuckle.

How can you "help" teach the LPC ?

Is it in the same may that our former CEO is a "lawyer "?

Glad you stuck up for principles. Tbh the LPC is the toughest course I have ever taken and will ever take. My experience was seeing sponsored class mates fail their exams and lose all their sponsored funding and their career aspirations up in smoke.

My two penny orth... if the subject studied stretches your brain then it's 3-6 fantastic years which will never be forgotten for the rest of your life.

If you are there to loaf, it's a lot cheaper to sit at home, watch TV, order pizza and smoke ur life away.

Which is the uni experience anyway just without challenging ur brain :)
  • Options

McBobbin said:

The thing about firsts is that because people pay a lot of money, they expect something for it. Defeats the entire purpose. Equivalent example: me and my boss at the time helped teach in the "LPC" law course at herts uni. A lot of the students were foreign, and basically bankrolled the university because they are charged a lot of money. For that money, they expected to pass. Some of them were shit... My boss gave them low marks for a test. They complained... My boss was basically Larry David's character from curb your enthusiasm. The sparks flew and it was hilarious.

The rules of the game have changed now there are fees. A serious conversation about what uni is and what it should and shouldn't do needs to happen.

Glad you stuck up for principles. Tbh the LPC is the toughest course I have ever taken and will ever take. My experience was seeing sponsored class mates fail their exams and lose all their sponsored funding and their career aspirations up in smoke.

My two penny orth... if the subject studied stretches your brain then it's 3-6 fantastic years which will never be forgotten for the rest of your life.

If you are there to loaf, it's a lot cheaper to sit at home, watch TV, order pizza and smoke ur life away.

Unexciting story really... I'm a latent attorney band our office was in the uni "innovation centre"... There was an intellectual property module, and we knew more about it than the lecturer (at least, in terms of the day to day practice side of things). Glad you found it tough... The job itself can be a real challenge so there's not much point making it easy. Might as well make the course set you up for the job!

My exams were all on the job, more like an apprenticeship, and experience helped as much as book work. They were an utter, utter "see you next Tuesday". Notoriously fiendish.

Completely agree about the intellectual challenge. That's the whole point surely?
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

McBobbin said:

Unexciting story really... I'm a latent attorney band our office was in the uni "innovation centre"... There was an intellectual property module, and we knew more about it than the lecturer (at least, in terms of the day to day practice side of things). Glad you found it tough... The job itself can be a real challenge so there's not much point making it easy. Might as well make the course set you up for the job!

My exams were all on the job, more like an apprenticeship, and experience helped as much as book work. They were an utter, utter "see you next Tuesday". Notoriously fiendish.

Completely agree about the intellectual challenge. That's the whole point surely?
    Makes sense bud.

The one thing I wished they had taught us in prep for a training contract was

"How to remember you are a human being when the corporate culture you have just entered is a low down dirty shark pit - get ahead by shafting ur peers"

Not seen that on any syllabus yet though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Very good Martin Lewis program last night on ITV, about student loans.

Also my daughter has had an email from RHUL about a scholarship, so she will be applying for that and hopefully she'll get that.
  • Options
    Went into uni with a D&E at A level, came out with a first. Was a period of massive personal growth. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.