Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rotherham fan vs Greg and Terry.

Comments

• edited August 2017
    More bleeps in that recording than a whole series of candid camera. Bleeping bad losers and I guess the true definition of a cockeney (sic) wasn't really up for friendly debate :joy: .
  • So what is a cockney? I was born in Plumstead and lived most of my life in the area before moving to the US. If anyone mentions cockney to me, I'll tell them it's north of the river and east of the city.

Looking at that renowned resource Wikipedia mentions Bexley and other areas south of the river as cockney. It also lists Danny Baker as one, but I thought he was from Deptford.

Opinions? I certainly don't think I'm one, I'm from Sarf Lunden.
  • So what is a cockney? I was born in Plumstead and lived most of my life in the area before moving to the US. If anyone mentions cockney to me, I'll tell them it's north of the river and east of the city.

Looking at that renowned resource Wikipedia mentions Bexley and other areas south of the river as cockney. It also lists Danny Baker as one, but I thought he was from Deptford.

Born within ear shot of the bells of bow church, IIRC.

Read something about how due to noise pollution, there may well be no cockneys in a few years.
  • Hilarious. I dunno what they're getting so het up about, I thought the rule these days was it's up to the referee to stop play for injuries and players aren't supposed to just put the ball out of play? Hardly like he's was going to sprint back and stop us scoring anyway.

Either way *bleep* em, great to see us showing a ruthless streak.
  • I get the Bow bells thing, and the fact that many people think that means Bow in the east end.

But St Mary le Bow bells would be audible on the south side of the river, but I've never met anyone south of the river who would say that they were a cockney.

Wikipedia suggests otherwise. Is there anyone on here born and bred south of the river who would consider themselves a cockney.
  • I was in a bar on the Wirral about 6 years ago and got chatting to a scouse girl who heard my accent and said in a broad Liverpudlian accent "my mate's a cockney" . She called her mate over and I asked where she was from , "Fleet" was her answer!

I said "your Mum must've had some hearing to hear those Bow bells all the way down there"
  • buckshee said:

I was in a bar on the Wirral about 6 years ago and got chatting to a scouse girl who heard my accent and said in a broad Liverpudlian accent "my mate's a cockney" . She called her mate over and I asked where she was from , "Fleet" was her answer!

I said "your Mum must've had some hearing to hear those Bow bells all the way down there"

Spend time in the Wirral myself, have to educate them, then again, my pal tells me he's not a scouser because he's from the Wirral.
  • I started my plumbing apprenticeship in 1979 on a refurb of part of Bow Lane, right next to St Mary Le Bow church, does this make me a Cockney plumber ?.
  • Sponsored links:

• I get the Bow bells thing, and the fact that many people think that means Bow in the east end.

But St Mary le Bow bells would be audible on the south side of the river, but I've never met anyone south of the river who would say that they were a cockney.

Wikipedia suggests otherwise. Is there anyone on here born and bred south of the river who would consider themselves a cockney.

I use a lot of rhyming slang in everyday speech, does that count?
  • I started my plumbing apprenticeship in 1979 on a refurb of part of Bow Lane, right next to St Mary Le Bow church, does this make me a Cockney plumber ?.

No.
  • He's as bitter as the people on the Surrey ccc thread.

• Don’t be confused
    Don’t make that mistake
    We are not cockneys
    For fucks sake
    You can stick your bow bells
    And your pearly kings
    Cos we are not cockneys
    We're from ......

South London la la la

Shame only the last line is sung these days and even that rarely
  • Imagine being from Rotherham
  • West Ham fans claim to be true cockneys, but we all know they are a delusional lot. I prefer the original definition.

If we use the way that working class people talk as a marker, then I’m afraid that that line is now blurred over the length of the Thames Estuary. My late Uncle who hailed from Maidstone had a Kentish accent, his parents (who would now be about 120) had an incredibly distinct accent bordering on ooh arrrh. In their days Maidstone would’ve been a town that was largely untouched by newcomers. visitors or commuters.
  • Sponsored links:

• My wife's maternal grandmother was from Clacton (born approx. 1910), and she also had a proper east Anglian ooh-arr accent.
  • edited August 2017

I get the Bow bells thing, and the fact that many people think that means Bow in the east end.

I'm sure I read that due to hospital closures and the increasing height of buildings around bow bells killing the sound, this definition would soon mean there were no more cockneys.
  • I am sure I recall Henry Cooper always referred to himself as a cockney, although he was born in Lambeth and grew up in Catford.
    I always felt that east Londoners were a different breed to us lot.

This is my view
  • I was born in Erith but have lived my entire life within about 6 miles of Charing Cross.

I am a Kentish Cockney Man who can speak like royalty when called upon.

The Rotherham supporter certainly improved the Valley Pass listening experience for me, he was giving it large from the off, and I presume going to the football is therapy for him.
  • edited August 2017
    Simple rule.

If you get up in the morning, rumage around the washing basket for yesterdays t-shirt, check it for congealed dried eel juice... then you is a Cockerney Wanker!
  • It's funny, I always thought it was spelt Roffarum.
  • My dad was born near the Old Kent Rd and referred to himself as a cockney. My mum was from Charlton and did not. I reckon both Bermondsey and Millwall are within the historic reach of Bow Bells. West Ham I'm not so sure.
    Still if Rotherham folk think we're cockney we should relocate them to Derbyshire or West Yorkshire or maybe even Lancashire and see how they like it
  • I'm sure JS referred to Charlton fans as cockneys in the JS Story somewhere. But he was a Geordie of course.