Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: Nevermind vs Exile on Main St.

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    i think you find both are pretty over rated but if you like em you like em
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

PopIcon said:

bobmunro said:

Nirvana overrated - although Nevermind is a decent album. Exile is one of the best albums made by the greatest band of all time.

So, so easy for me - Exile.

(but by the voting so far it looks like I'm backing a loser!)

Nirvana, overrated, really? Please explain yourself.

Not really a massive fan of either band. Nevermind is a fantastic record and for me Exile is a slightly better than average one.

On that Nevermind wins.
    It's personal opinion, of course. For me Nirvana (like The Stone Roses) are a band that everyone is supposed to revere. But I just don't get the Emperor's New Clothes bollox.

Nirvana good, Stones the best (for me). Everything is relative as Albert would say.
    Is that Uncle Albert?
  • Options
    Exile on Main Street. Love it's jaunty feel and varied instrumentation.
  • Options
    Nevermind. Wasn't into music as a young child (think early 90s pop like Kylie and Jason, Chesney Hawks, Timmy fucking Mallet etc.) Heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, liked music.
  • Options
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    Exile On Main Street , for me.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

PopIcon said:

bobmunro said:

Nirvana overrated - although Nevermind is a decent album. Exile is one of the best albums made by the greatest band of all time.

So, so easy for me - Exile.

(but by the voting so far it looks like I'm backing a loser!)

Nirvana, overrated, really? Please explain yourself.

Not really a massive fan of either band. Nevermind is a fantastic record and for me Exile is a slightly better than average one.

On that Nevermind wins.
    It's personal opinion, of course. For me Nirvana (like The Stone Roses) are a band that everyone is supposed to revere. But I just don't get the Emperor's New Clothes bollox.

Nirvana good, Stones the best (for me). Everything is relative as Albert would say.
    As someone who never bought into the chart music thing in general, and never followed trends or fashion, I have to say from a standing-back-and-observing point of view that both The Stone Roses and Nevermind were fantastic albums, the only "pop" albums that I thought enough of to buy (my musical taste has broadened since) in about fifteen years. I like the Stones too.
  • Options
    I've counted ten apiece. As it was a tie, the two have been separated by the amount of initial votes, which was 6-3 in favour of...

• Options
    booooo fix
  • Options
    Don't matter what anyone on here says, Exile is the better album by a country and blues and Rock n Roll mile. Musics equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Greenie said:

Don't matter what anyone on here says, Exile is the better album by a country and blues and Rock n Roll mile. Musics equivalent of The Shawshank Redemption.

Did you vote @Greenie?

cos if not you might still swing the vote to the correct decision.

• Options

Greenie said:

Did you vote @Greenie?

I have now, missed this earlier.....
  • Options
    I demand a re-count @addickinsw16
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Did you vote @Greenie?

I have now, missed this earlier.....
    I think it slipped off of the top page very quickly and didn't get bumped for over three days, so quite easy to miss.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Overrated film, amazing acting makes up for an average storyline.
  • Options

I've counted ten apiece. As it was a tie, the two have been separated by the amount of initial votes, which was 6-3 in favour of...

I make it 12-10 to Nevermind
  • Options

Greenie said:

Overrated film, amazing acting makes up for an average storyline.
    I was referring to the way both were initially received.....
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

There were some in there that were comments about liking Nevermind that didn't actually seem like votes saying that they actually thought it was a better album, so I didn't count those, but do feel free to recount my scores as I'm utterly useless at it and got different results on my first three counts.
  • Options
    Nevermind willget knocked out in the next round.

Move on and give us the next tie: Kind of Blue v Metal Machine Music
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

There were some in there that were comments about liking Nevermind that didn't actually seem like votes saying that they actually thought it was a better album, so I didn't count those, but do feel free to recount my scores as I'm utterly useless at it and got different results on my first three counts.
    You're no Norris McWhirter are you? ;o)
  • Options
    Unusually I have both of these despite them being outside my core 1979-87 musical range. If I had not fallen out of love with music in 1987 I would probably have loved Nevermind and seen Nirvana. Never mind as they say. It does reference quite a lot of the stuff I was into (and people I knew at that time like Dan Treacy of the TV Personalities) so it's going to get my vote. It's not in my top 5, but there again I wrote my top 5 while on holiday and missed out what is my favourite album because I had nothing to refer to.

Exile on Main St is one of only 2 Stones records I have. It should probably be more, but by the time I was getting into music the Stones were, well, a bit naff. This is well before Start Me Up was used by Microsoft to advertise Windows and the crap cover of Dancing in the Street with Bowie and ... Anyway, the 2 Stones records I have are "Their Satanic Majesties" (though I've no idea where it is) and Exile. Both were bought under the influence of the sort of conversation that begins "if you like that, you'll love this". TSMR was because I liked psychedelia. Exile it was from a love of Americana. And it's a pleasant enough record, but it really doesn't do it for me in the way that The Byrds did, or the first couple of Wilco albums, or Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels.

• Options
    rananegra said:

Unusually I have both of these despite them being outside my core 1979-87 musical range. If I had not fallen out of love with music in 1987 I would probably have loved Nevermind and seen Nirvana. Never mind as they say. It does reference quite a lot of the stuff I was into (and people I knew at that time like Dan Treacy of the TV Personalities) so it's going to get my vote. It's not in my top 5, but there again I wrote my top 5 while on holiday and missed out what is my favourite album because I had nothing to refer to.

Exile on Main St is one of only 2 Stones records I have. It should probably be more, but by the time I was getting into music the Stones were, well, a bit naff. This is well before Start Me Up was used by Microsoft to advertise Windows and the crap cover of Dancing in the Street with Bowie and ... Anyway, the 2 Stones records I have are "Their Satanic Majesties" (though I've no idea where it is) and Exile. Both were bought under the influence of the sort of conversation that begins "if you like that, you'll love this". TSMR was because I liked psychedelia. Exile it was from a love of Americana. And it's a pleasant enough record, but it really doesn't do it for me in the way that The Byrds did, or the first couple of Wilco albums, or Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels.

Beggers Banquet has more of an Americana feel to it than Exile IMO
  • Options
    Greenie said:

stonemuse said:

You're no Norris McWhirter are you? ;o)