Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2017

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Cilic is out and Edmund has retired hurt.
  • Options
    Highest seed left in the bottom half of the draw is #10 John Isner, followed by #12 Pablo Carrena-Busta & #16 Lucas Pouille.
  • Options

Cilic is out and Edmund has retired hurt.

Bollocks, a great chance for him with all the injuries and absentees
  • Options
    Nadal currently a set down, and 2-3 down in the 2nd. Mayer just saved 12 breakpoints in a near 15 minute service game.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    One of the following five four will be in the final and this is the furthest they'd got in a grand slam before this US Open:

Sam Querrey (semi final one time at Wimbledon this year)
    Mischa Zverev (quarter final one time at the Australian Open this year)
    Kevin Anderson (quarter final one time at the US Open 2015)
    Pablo Carreno Busta (quarter final one time at the French Open this year)
    Diego Schwartzman (third round one time at the French Open this year)

Before the US Open this year, they had made five quarter finals combined.
  • Options
    Based on his Wimbledon run (when he played well in the semi) I imagine Sam Querrey must be trying not to think ahead to the final, as it's a golden chance

Elsewhere, Kvitova knocks out Muguruza, and will play Venus in the QF
  • Options

If I was a betting man I would put some money on Sloane Stephens.

I wish I was a betting man!
  • Options

Based on his Wimbledon run (when he played well in the semi) I imagine Sam Querrey must be trying not to think ahead to the final, as it's a golden chance

Querrey then loses to Anderson

Anderson vs Busta for a place in the final, extraordinary!
  • Options

Querrey then loses to Anderson

Anderson vs Busta for a place in the final, extraordinary!
    You have to think the winner is going to come from one of Nadal or Federer/Del Potro in the top half of the draw now.

Can't see Rublev troubling Nadal.
  • Options
    Vandeweghe a set and a break up against Pliskova, if she wins it will make it 3 of the semi finalists from the States with Keys still to play her quarter final, so a real chance of the last 4 all being American!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vandeweghe in to the semi's, played really well.

Nadal v Rublev up next
  • Options
    Federer vs Del Potro should be a decent contest coming up.

Men's semi finals are

Carreno Busta (12) vs. Anderson (28)
    Nadal (1) vs. Federer (3) / Del Potro (24)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Del Potro leads Federer two sets to one. 7-5 3-6 7-6. Epic tie break that JMDP won 10-8. Federer had four set points during it, Del Potro took his first one.
  • Options
    Del Potro wins 7-5 3-6 7-6 6-4.

Nadal (1) vs. Del Potro (24)
    Carreno Busta (12) vs. Anderson (28)
  • Options
    4 Americans in the women's semis
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if Fed bows out of the tour until next season now. The ATP Finals at the o2 is going to be lacking in big names this year.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Riviera said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Fed bows out of the tour until next season now. The ATP Finals at the o2 is going to be lacking in big names this year.

Nadal has never won the ATP finals, he's not as good indoors, but a great chance this year. I imagine the lineup will look a bit underwhelming this year
  • Options
    Anderson beats Carreno Busta in four sets to reach his first major final.

Nadal and Del Potro going at it right from the first point...
  • Options
    Del Potro took first set 6-4.

Nadal now 5-0 up in the second set.
  • Options
    Nadal in 4 sets

As they would say on the news "there's British interest in the mixed doubles, with Jamie Murray and his partner Martina Hingis reaching the final"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The 4 majors to be shared by the two oldies. Didn't envisage that. Murray peaked a year too early.
  • Options
    Well done Jamie Murray 2 mixed grand slams on the trot
  • Options
    So what odds would you have got on Roger and Rafa winning all four grand slams in 2017 between them?

Roger - Australian, Wimbledon
    Rafa - French, US

The two greatest tennis players ever?
  • Options
    Over the last 10 years I have really become bored by tennis. For me, ever since they got away from wood rackets in the 80s I have become progressively less interested, as now every shot goes 120mph. Federer was fun when he was in his prime but that was a decade ago. Murray is nice to watch, but overall it's just not much to me. In the USA it use to be on one of the big 3 channels and now it is over on ESPN. Everyone is watching American football today.
  • Options

So what odds would you have got on Roger and Rafa winning all four grand slams in 2017 between them?

Rafa - French, US

Absolutely.

And just think of how many more titles either of them could've won if the other wasn't around.
  • Options

Rafa - French, US

It's hard to compare eras, but certainly both are right up there.

Shocking when you think of how they both seemed finished last year too, I guess that's consolation for Novak and Andy
  • Options

The 4 majors to be shared by the two oldies. Didn't envisage that. Murray peaked a year too early.

Nadal is hardly an "oldie", he's only 31 ( Murray 30), unlike Fed 36, Venus 37 and Serena 36 in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I thought that Nadal was nearly done a few years ago after all his knee trouble .. he's lost weight and muscle mass and is now as good as, if not better then he was 10 years ago .. a real scrapper and one of the world's top sportsmen over the past decade+ .. he's VERY tough, single minded and durable