Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Houston

2»

Comments

• Options
    Unless I'm much mistaken, that's actually top left.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    My new home (that I'm at currently) is just around the corner from the emergency response centre that Trump is visiting in an hour or so. I heard the local supermarket is out of tomatoes.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Unless I'm much mistaken, that's actually top left.

Mrs Hex is the one that can't tell left from right so let's keep this between us pleeeeese !
  • Options

My new home (that I'm at currently) is just around the corner from the emergency response centre that Trump is visiting in an hour or so. I heard the local supermarket is out of tomatoes.

Oh wow, I didn't realize mate. I hope you and Hex's niece are doing alright.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

Mostly fine here in Austin and luckily didn't lose any power in the apartment. Constant rain for a couple of days totally saturated the ground outside but think we (the city as a whole) escaped the worst of it. Can't imagine what things are like over in Houston though. Devastating.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Mostly fine here in Austin and luckily didn't lose any power in the apartment. Constant rain for a couple of days totally saturated the ground outside but think we escaped the worst of it. Can't imagine what things are like over in Houston though. Devastating.
    I didn't realize you were in Austin. Thought you felt like a hipster though ;).

I have a mate in Austin who has been doing Facebook live stream just to show the rain. It's incredible. Really glad you're doing alright. Just read the storm might move back out into the gulf then make landfall again later in the week with more rain. Absolutely crazy.

Stay safe. If you need anything let us know, ok?
  • Options
    It's going to take years to rebuild Houston. Anybody with building trade skills, who has thought about moving to The States, should apply now. Would imagine carpenters, plumbers, bricklayers etc. will get a preferred status.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

It's going to take years to rebuild Houston. Anybody with building trade skills, who has thought about moving to The States, should apply now. Would imagine carpenters, plumbers, bricklayers etc. will get a preferred status.

I'm sure there are plenty of Mexicans have the building skills...That is once they've completed the wall ;0)
    It's an opportunity, take the piss if you want. Predictable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:

Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

I'm sure there are plenty of Mexicans have the building skills...That is once they've completed the wall ;0)
    Humour is the oldest coping mechanism in the world!!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

If you are so inclined, here are a couple charities you can donate to to help those on the ground helping people caught up in hurricane Harvey.

Team Rubicon: I think this is a really cool charity. I first heard about this in 2013 during Typhoon Haiyan. John Oliver, before he became *the* John Oliver, was talking on his podcast The Bugle about how his wife (a Veteran) had deployed with Team Rubicon to help in the Philippines, and he was freaking out as this was at a time where things on the ground were still insane.

These are Military Veterans who deploy to disaster areas around the world to help people, provide food, shelter, you name it. I think I've talked about it a little, but for a while I worked with the Department of Defense family programs, which meant working with a lot of Veterans as part of a social work effort. Something we heard time and again is that once they returned from deployment or left the Military, they really lacked a sense of purpose. TR must really provide that for these people who are so brave and selfless in what they do.

American Red Cross: You know the Red Cross, they do great work.

All Hands: On the ground disaster relief and recovery support.

Houston Humane Society: Helping to marshal and care for pets and animals in the area.

Just want to bump this. I know it may seem weird giving donations to the richest country in the world but a lot of people have lost everything they have this past week and charity organizations will be providing support on the ground for months if not years while people are displaced and it will stretch them incredibly thin. As limey points out it will take years to rebuild what has been destroyed, so every little bit helps.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

Even though it was said in jest, why shouldn't Mexicans apply? They've been doing most of the building work in the Southwest for donkeys years anyway - at least it'd be an opportunity for them to get a green card, and they're a damn sight closer than tradesmen from the UK...
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

Predictable? Maybe that's because your president is a nutter who is trying to get those people to build a wall between himself and huge share of America's workforce.

The ones that aren't to proud to clean, garden, build, plumb, work in supermarkets, work for fast food chains, work on the roads, work in prisons, join the US military and many more roles the AVERAGE American resident thinks they're above or are too scared to do themselves...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

limeygent said:

Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

Predictable? Maybe that's because your president is a nutter who is trying to get those people to build a wall between himself and huge share of America's workforce.

The ones that aren't to proud to clean, garden, build, plumb, work in supermarkets, work for fast food chains, work on the roads, work in prisons, join the US military and many more roles the AVERAGE American resident thinks they're above or are too scared to do themselves...
    Popular opinion suggests Trump may not be the best President the United States has elected. He had a chance to become "presidential" by reacting well to the situation in Houston. I think he failed, badly.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

limeygent said:

Great work Sir!