Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ROTHERHAM 0 CHARLTON 2 - 26th August 2017

edited September 2017 in General Charlton

ROTHERHAM 0 CHARLTON 2 (Bauer 16, Magennis 66

Attendance 7,976 (520 Charlton)

Rotherham O’Donnell, Emmanuel (Vaulks, 55), Ajayi, Ihiekwe, Mattock, Williams (Taylor, h/t), Potter, Frecklington, Newell, Moore, Proctor (Clarke-Harris, 70).

Charlton Amos, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva, Kashi, Forster-Caskey, Fosu (Ahearne-Grant, 85), Holmes (Konsa, 89), Clarke (Novak, 85), Magennis.

Summary

Charlton moved up to 4th in the league following an impressive victory against a physical Rotherham side. Headers in each half from Bauer and Magennis decided the outcome.

Post Match comments

Robinson: “We were very well organised, we were well disciplined and when our chances arrived we managed to take them. I was so happy at the end for our goalkeeper and two centre-backs – they were immense. If they had score at the end I would have been devastated. We deserved our clean sheet today. It was an old-fashioned ‘two tough centre-backs against two big, machine-type forwards’. That was the key battle for me and I knew if we won that then our football would take care of things. I think we looked a class outfit at times; we were resolute, strong from set-pieces and we always looked dangerous on the counter attack.

Amos: “It was a real battle and after nine minutes added on at the end, we had to dig deep. I’ve worked my backside off since I’ve been here but even I’m knackered after that; everyone put a shift in. The whole side covered big distances and played with great intensity but most of all, it’s a big result for us. They certainly try to play to their strengths with the two big lads up front and if we weren’t switched on, they only needed one real opportunity and we could have been one-nil down. Obviously I was kept busy, but the manager said before the game that they were going to pump balls into the box and target the fact that we’re not the biggest side in the league. However, I’m just delighted that as a side, we came through it and showed how much we wanted it”.

STATBANK Player Marks

Bauer= 8.50
Amos = 8.04
Solly = 8.00
Pearce = 8.00
Kashi = 7.88
Holmes = 7.86
Magennis = 7.68
Dasilva = 7.64
Forster-Caskey= 7.61
Clarke = 7.21
Fosu-Henry = 7.04