Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Good for him. He looked a shell of a footballer for the U23s against Hudds. Missed at least some of pre-season with injury, and didn't play much for Killy last year. Desperately needs some football. Going in to last season he looked like he might really break through.
  • Like that, If we weren't already thin at striker, I would like to see KAG get a similar move
  • Needs to make this loan count, cannot see us extending his contract at the end of the season if he doesn't do well there.
  • We've had numerous promising forwards who go out on loan and yet none of them seem to really improve. Bit of a shame.

Hopefully our youth ranks can unearth a quality striker.
  • Needs to make this loan count, cannot see us extending his contract at the end of the season if he doesn't do well there.

Totally agree. I think this is probably his last chance to show what he can do.
    If he fails to make an impact here then I can see him being released when his contract expires
  • We've had numerous promising forwards who go out on loan and yet none of them seem to really improve. Bit of a shame.

Hanlan scored a few on loan at Bromley last season. Is he still injured?

We do seem to mainly bring through goalkeepers, defenders and central midfielders compared to wingers and strikers.
  • Scoham said:

We've had numerous promising forwards who go out on loan and yet none of them seem to really improve. Bit of a shame.

Hanlan scored a few on loan at Bromley last season. Is he still injured?

We do seem to mainly bring through goalkeepers, defenders and central midfielders compared to wingers and strikers.
    The problem is, any decent wingers and strikers tend to be hoovered up by Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Fulham etc. etc.

Maybe they weren't that good? At least KAG has some England youth experience

Maybe they weren't that good? At least KAG has some England youth experience
    Some of have looked good at youth level but as is obvious senior football is another matter.

• Sponsored links:

• Lookman did ok and Palmer seems decent.
  • Lookman did ok and Palmer seems decent.

Two in how many years and neither are strikers.

Kevin Lisbie still the best striker we've produced in the last 20 years or so unless you include Defoe.
  • Scoham said:

Lookman did ok and Palmer seems decent.

Kevin Lisbie still the best striker we've produced in the last 20 years or so unless you include Defoe.
    Lisbie scored 19 goals for Charlton in something like 9 or 10 seasons an atrocious scoring record for a striker
  • Scoham said:

Lisbie scored 19 goals for Charlton in something like 9 or 10 seasons an atrocious scoring record for a striker
    But unfortunately who have we produced since thats done better i.e. as an out and out Striker? - Below is a list of Strikers from the Academy who have been given Squad Numbers going back to 1998 (cant go back further). None of them come close to Lisbie

James Walker | Tamer Tuna | Tosan Popo | Lewis Perkins | Joe Pigott | Ade Azeez | Zak Ansah | Karlan Ahearne-Grant | Mikhail Kennedy | Josh Umerah | Brandon Hanlan | Donovan Simmonds | Alex Varney | Stephen Tucker | Mark Debolla | Charlie MacDonald | Mark Royal

Also got to remember that the majority of Lisbie's career was whilst we were a Premier League team and he was never going to be a Striker at that level... Ironically the year we let him go, he scored 17-goals for Colchester United in what was our first year back in the Championship. Had we kept him then then those goals would probably have put us in the Play-Offs.
    Two of those goals were against us at The Valley where he exposed Paddy McCarthy.

Unfairly slated by the moronic booboy element amongst our support was young Kev.
  • Scoham said:

But unfortunately who have we produced since thats done better i.e. as an out and out Striker? - Below is a list of Strikers from the Academy who have been given Squad Numbers going back to 1998 (cant go back further). None of them come close to Lisbie

James Walker | Tamer Tuna | Tosan Popo | Lewis Perkins | Joe Pigott | Ade Azeez | Zak Ansah | Karlan Ahearne-Grant | Mikhail Kennedy | Josh Umerah | Brandon Hanlan | Donovan Simmonds | Alex Varney | Stephen Tucker | Mark Debolla | Charlie MacDonald | Mark Royal

Also got to remember that the majority of Lisbie's career was whilst we were a Premier League team and he was never going to be a Striker at that level... Ironically the year we let him go, he scored 17-goals for Colchester United in what was our first year back in the Championship. Had we kept him then then those goals would probably have put us in the Play-Offs.
    Further to my comment... Who the hell were Stephen Tucker and Mark Royal?

Remember all the other names on from old but not those two
  • good luck to him .. perhaps one day we'll have Josh n Josh up front for us
  • edited August 2017
    Don't most strikers get poached from us aged 15/16 though by the big boys? Those chaps would not make your list at all. Plus Defoe should def be included and how many clubs have produced and England team quality striker in the past 20 years.
  • Don't most strikers get poached from us aged 15/16 though by the big boys? Those chaps would not make your list at all. Plus Defoe should def be included and how many clubs have produced and England team quality striker in the past 20 years.

This is the thing... Not many Strikers do make it at their parent clubs and usually make a name for themselves either going somewhere else at the same level or by dropping a Division or two first. One of the few (that I can think of) who didnt do this was Callum Wilson who had one stormer of a season @ Coventry before being picked up by Eddie Howe @ AFC Bournemouth
  • Don't most strikers get poached from us aged 15/16 though by the big boys? Those chaps would not make your list at all. Plus Defoe should def be included and how many clubs have produced and England team quality striker in the past 20 years.

Only strikers I can remember being poached left this year - Fulham signed Timmy Abraham and there was that player Man Utd apparently took from us.

Palmer was a midfielder, McGinty a defender. Arsenal took Huddart (a goalkeeper) from us.

Have I missed anyone from recent years?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

Don't most strikers get poached from us aged 15/16 though by the big boys? Those chaps would not make your list at all. Plus Defoe should def be included and how many clubs have produced and England team quality striker in the past 20 years.

Only strikers I can remember being poached left this year - Fulham signed Timmy Abraham and there was that player Man Utd apparently took from us.

Palmer was a midfielder, McGinty a defender. Arsenal took Huddart (a goalkeeper) from us.

Have I missed anyone from recent years?
    That was McGinty wasnt it? - Or do you mean there was a Spurs player they apparently pinched from us?

Wasnt Jay Lloyd Samuel pinched from us too?
  • No I meant this summer, McGinty was 7/8 years ago.
  • Scoham said:

No I meant this summer, McGinty was 7/8 years ago.

Ahh you mean the legendary; Largie Ramazani
  • Scoham said:

No I meant this summer, McGinty was 7/8 years ago.

Ahh you mean the legendary; Largie Ramazani
    That's him. Somehow I couldn't remember his name but recognised the names Mark Royal and Stephen Tucker...
  • In the last U23 game I was shocked at how poor Umerah was. He has gone backwards big time. The Wycombe manager is always at the U23 games.
  • dickplumb said:

The Wycombe manager is always at the U23 games.

Gareth Ainsworth is someone I'd like to see as Charlton Manager one day - Does a very good job @ Wycombe on a very tight budget it seems
  • Lisbie played mainly in the Prem up top on his own. Was never going to be prolific. Given he was barely 6ft did a good job.
  • Lisbie played mainly in the Prem up top on his own. Was never going to be prolific. Given he was barely 6ft did a good job.

If you could build a team around him with a strike partner he would be prolific, but in curbs' one up front being Bartlett or bent he never got a decent chance. He had a very good career in the championship and league one after leaving us.
  • LenGlover said:

Scoham said:

Two of those goals were against us at The Valley where he exposed Paddy McCarthy.

Unfairly slated by the moronic booboy element amongst our support was young Kev.
    Lisbie scored 16 League goals in 155 appearances (93 of which were as a sub) for us over a period of 12 years. His "purple" patch was 5 goals in an 8 day period including his hat trick against Liverpool. In fact, those 5 goals were the most he ever scored in a season for us.

"Young Kev" wasn't quite so young when he left us - he was almost 29 - so, on the balance of his poor overall scoring record and constant injury issues, I don't think we treated him too badly in letting him go. Good luck to him that he managed to get his career back on track with Colchester and Orient. But Lisbie is far from the best player we've ever released without giving him a fair crack.

• Made his debut tonight in their 5-1 Checkatrade defeat to Bristol Rovers. Paul Hayes left Wycombe today, so Josh was indirectly his replacement