Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peeters and Robinson - spot the difference

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29748517

"He's backing us already - we've brought some good players in," Peeters told BBC Radio Kent.

"But if we're in this situation around the new year I think one or two quality players will come in. He knows what we want and hopefully he can provide it."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/29543/charlton-athletic-boss-challenging-january-will-time-sanction-big-striker-signing/

The Charlton boss said: “If we’re in the mix and we’re up there and competing, then it’s time to press the button and really drive it home. That’s got to be our objective, in some ways.

“If we get to January I can guarantee they’ll be knocking on the door and saying ‘listen – go and get the best striker you can buy’. Go and spend whatever you’ve got to spend.

Comments

• That worked out well for Peeters, didn't it?! Meanwhile, in the land of the sane, you don't have to spend too long on Google to get an idea of what managers with some genuine credibility would make of this regime's transfer strategy.

Yet still they claim to have learned from their mistakes. In a weak division for the second year on the spin, promotion there for the taking, minimal sensible investment required. Idiots.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/8341019/manchester-united-boss-sir-alex-ferguson-rules-out-spending-in-january-transfer-window

When asked if there were areas of his squad he wanted to strengthen, Ferguson told Eurosport-Yahoo!: "No. The January transfer market has never been the best market and that has proved itself over the years."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2087375/January-transfer-window-review.html

You won’t find many Premier League managers who endorse the idea that January transfer window purchases represent good value, but the month has now become the traditional home of football’s silly season.

• I was actually thinking about this the other day. I wonder how patient they'll be with Robinson if we go on a good run and then lose a few.
  • sounds to me like a parent speaking to a child who wants another slice of cake......."not now, but you can have a bit more later if you behave yourself"
  • There's always jam tomorrow.
  • sounds to me like a parent speaking to a child who wants another slice of cake......."not now, but you can have a bit more later if you behave yourself"

Never forget, we are all Roly's children
  • “This team we’ve got now is more than capable of competing and keeping themselves in the top half – or the top six."

So top half is a success now?
  • we have made a start to the season better then most anticipated, we have just beaten Rotheram one of the relegated teams on their own patch and last night the youngens beat Crawley. Lets see how the season pans out before picking things apart with quotes from previous managers. Robinson is doing a great job right now and I for one think it will continue, there is no one we cant beat in this division and ill go further and say there is no one we wont beat.
  • we have made a start to the season better then most anticipated, we have just beaten Rotheram one of the relegated teams on their own patch and last night the youngens beat Crawley. Lets see how the season pans out before picking things apart with quotes from previous managers. Robinson is doing a great job right now and I for one think it will continue, there is no one we cant beat in this division and ill go further and say there is no one we wont beat.

maybe take your own advice

It's not about picking apart quotes, the thread was simply to point out that Robinson is saying the same thing as Peeters 3 years later.

I'm a lot more confident about this team compared to last season, but having only 2 senior strikers is a big weakness in the squad. Once again we're hoping we get lucky with injuries or a young striker makes the step up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

we have made a start to the season better then most anticipated, we have just beaten Rotheram one of the relegated teams on their own patch and last night the youngens beat Crawley. Lets see how the season pans out before picking things apart with quotes from previous managers. Robinson is doing a great job right now and I for one think it will continue, there is no one we cant beat in this division and ill go further and say there is no one we wont beat.

It's not about picking apart quotes, the thread was simply to point out that Robinson is saying the same thing as Peeters 3 years later.

I'm a lot more confident about this team compared to last season, but having only 2 senior strikers is a big weakness in the squad. Once again we're hoping we get lucky with injuries or a young striker makes the step up.
    I don't understand why people cant just enjoy the season. What do we expect KR to say, well the owners lied to the previous managers but honestly im telling the truth now.

Yes something similar was said but so what. The difference between now and then is that KR/Steve Gallen seem to be in charge of recruitment Bob Peeters was not. Having two strikers is a weakness your right but still not sure why we need a thread to point out something Robinson said is similar to something Peeters said.

• i think Robinson deserves a bit of credit for the season thusfar

i think we all know now that any managers hands are tied re budgets and numbers under this regime

so i think you should give north stand pie eater a break

• Scoham said:

we have made a start to the season better then most anticipated, we have just beaten Rotheram one of the relegated teams on their own patch and last night the youngens beat Crawley. Lets see how the season pans out before picking things apart with quotes from previous managers. Robinson is doing a great job right now and I for one think it will continue, there is no one we cant beat in this division and ill go further and say there is no one we wont beat.

I don't understand why people cant just enjoy the season. What do we expect KR to say, well the owners lied to the previous managers but honestly im telling the truth now.

Yes something similar was said but so what. The difference between now and then is that KR/Steve Gallen seem to be in charge of recruitment Bob Peeters was not. Having two strikers is a weakness your right but still not sure why we need a thread to point out something Robinson said is similar to something Peeters said.

I am enjoying the season.

It's just a shame the same mistake appears to be being made - go with a squad short of 1 or 2 players and sign more in January if we're doing well.
  • Pesters definitely had a better hairdo than KR and that Wimbledon incident would have been a lot uglier, otherwise they both spin a good line of douche PR
  • Scoham said:

Any enjoyment is tempered by 3 years experience of the yawning chasm between what we've been told and the truth of the actions that followed. The mental merrygoround continues to turn at the whim of a disinterested puppet master whom none can understand.
    If you find sustained enjoyment in roly's toxic pantomime, I'm envious I really am. I really don't like being lied to. I retain a deep affection for Charlton Athletic and equally deeply resent the way it continues to be mistreated. You can no more be surprised that criticism of roly and his puppets remains vitriolic, all the while his behaviour remains unchanged.