Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brandan Hanlan joins Col U till mid Jan on loan

Comments

• Good move for him and the club. Showed some promise but not ready to step into our first team. Hopefully he will get some game time there
  • Hope he gets some game time.
  • Good luck Brandon. Very important time now for him, KAG, and Umerah. All have played big parts in making our u23s so formidable but I'm not sure if any of them will make the step up with us; Robinson has already taken a shine to Hacket-Fairchild who, for all his promise, is probably behind them in his development. Brandon's strong and a willing runner but like the others, doesn't strike me as a natural goalscorer; hopefully one of them can add that to their armoury and really make a case for inclusion.
  • Good luck Brandon.

• edited August 2017
    Could be a similar type of player to Magennis in the future. Considering our situation he may have been worth keeping. Good move for him, bad move for us unless we get someone in?

Will be interesting to compare how he does with Umerah with both being in the same league.

He'll do well there and will be our new striker in January as clubs want too much for players in that window...
  • pleased to see players go out to league 2 sides rather than national league or abroad (well Scotland and Ireland) where it will be easier to gauge their performance
  • Paddy7 said:

Good luck Brandon. Very important time now for him, KAG, and Umerah. All have played big parts in making our u23s so formidable but I'm not sure if any of them will make the step up with us; Robinson has already taken a shine to Hacket-Fairchild who, for all his promise, is probably behind them in his development. Brandon's strong and a willing runner but like the others, doesn't strike me as a natural goalscorer; hopefully one of them can add that to their armoury and really make a case for inclusion.

Hackett-Fairchild is a good prospect but some people are bigging him up too much.

He needs a few more months in the U23s or out on loan until he's ready.
    Can't imagine who'd do a thing like that! He actually does look very skillful but is probably some way off the No.9 role at the moment. Looks as though they're currently working on his hold up play, awareness etc. and he's still quite slender. Nice lad too.

• pleased to see players go out to league 2 sides rather than national league or abroad (well Scotland and Ireland) where it will be easier to gauge their performance

Yes, it's a much better test of their abilities. I guess the downside (over the National League) is that they can't be recalled
  • Paddy7 said:

Paddy7 said:

Good luck Brandon. Very important time now for him, KAG, and Umerah. All have played big parts in making our u23s so formidable but I'm not sure if any of them will make the step up with us; Robinson has already taken a shine to Hacket-Fairchild who, for all his promise, is probably behind them in his development. Brandon's strong and a willing runner but like the others, doesn't strike me as a natural goalscorer; hopefully one of them can add that to their armoury and really make a case for inclusion.

Hackett-Fairchild is a good prospect but some people are bigging him up too much.

He needs a few more months in the U23s or out on loan until he's ready.
    Can't imagine who'd do a thing like that! He actually does look very skillful but is probably some way off the No.9 role at the moment. Looks as though they're currently working on his hold up play, awareness etc. and he's still quite slender. Nice lad too.

Don't know if being nice is enough though.

Not writing him off just don't think people should rely on him to score 30 goals for the first team this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• You have to admit we are woefully short of options up front if either of Magennis or Novak get crocked.

• Scoham said:

Could be a similar type of player to Magennis in the future. Considering our situation he may have been worth keeping. Good move for him, bad move for us unless we get someone in?

Will be interesting to compare how he does with Umerah with both being in the same league.

He'll do well there and will be our new striker in January as clubs want too much for players in that window...

Yes, from the little I've seen of our young strikers, he seems the most suited to the "big no 9 lone striker" role.
  • You have to admit we are woefully short of options up front if either of Magennis or Novak get crocked.

do keep up - KR prefers the 5-5-0 or 4-6-0 formation.

If that were to happen I'd fully expect to see Billy Clarke up front with Ben Reeves behind him in that No.10 role

This to put it mildly.

We're woefully short full stop.
    Novak is a very poor replacement for Magennis.
    If the, admittedly young and inexperienced, obvious physical back up types for Magennis have been loaned out (Hanlan, Umerah) does that mean at least one more body is coming in?
    An injury to one and a suspension for the other and gobbinson has precisely nobody to fit his 'one shape suits all matches' one dimensional one eyed plan of attack.
    I have zero expectation that any arrivals are due and am dreading the consequences for the spectacle to which we can look forward at The Valley as we get into the meat of the season. My money's on a new manager arriving before any new playing staff. And so roly's mental merrygoround takes another turn.
  • Umerah and Hanlan out on loan would keep them 'topped up' and ready if needed back. There is a chance that at least one of them will be able to use a loan to make some decent progress. Maybe both of them.
    I am pretty sure I have seen Colchester representation more than once last season at Greenwich Borough.
    Good luck to both players, because if we don't sign a striker today, then it may pay off for one of them if they can up their game with a few confidence building goals.
  • seth plum said:

Umerah and Hanlan out on loan would keep them 'topped up' and ready if needed back. There is a chance that at least one of them will be able to use a loan to make some decent progress. Maybe both of them.
    I am pretty sure I have seen Colchester representation more than once last season at Greenwich Borough.
    Good luck to both players, because if we don't sign a striker today, then it may pay off for one of them if they can up their game with a few confidence building goals.

Neither will be available till January though... Recalls arent allowed until then anymore are they?
  • seth plum said:

Umerah and Hanlan out on loan would keep them 'topped up' and ready if needed back. There is a chance that at least one of them will be able to use a loan to make some decent progress. Maybe both of them.

Neither will be available till January though... Recalls arent allowed until then anymore are they?
    Will not need them then, we will have our new £1m striker in January :wink:
  • Brandon scored again today v a Wycombe side with no Umerah
  • Sponsored links:

• Brandon scored again today v a Wycombe side with no Umerah

Seems as though Umerah has had his chances though...

https://www.transfermarkt.com/josh-umerah/leistungsdaten/spieler/399264
  • edited September 2017
    Good for him, glad he's playing and scoring.

Obviously frustrating given we're short up front but I didn't see anything from Hanlan last year to indicate he's ready to be near the top of League One right now. Maybe that will have changed come January.

Think of what we've done with Hanlan as opposed to KAG. Hanlan got a run in the side at times last year, then went on loan to non-league, now League Two. Hopefully this will help him and Umerah mature.
  • SDAddick said:

Obviously frustrating given we're short up front but I didn't see anything from Hanlan last year to indicate he's ready to be near the top of League One right now. Maybe that will have changed come January.

Think of what we've done with Hanlan as opposed to KAG. Hanlan got a run in the side at times last year, then went on loan to non-league, now League Two. Hopefully this will help him and Umerah mature.

I think he's ready.

He looks woefully imbalanced and clumsy so won't be to everyone's taste but he's unbelievably quick and strong. Seems nonsense to me that we've got Dodoo whilst he's out in loan.
  • SDAddick said:

I think he's ready.

He looks woefully imbalanced and clumsy so won't be to everyone's taste but he's unbelievably quick and strong. Seems nonsense to me that we've got Dodoo whilst he's out in loan.
    Completely agree with the last part. It makes no sense having someone as poor as Dodoo come in on loan when we have Hanlan out on loan. Dodoo looks lost and haven’t seen him do anything to tell me he should be a footballer. Hanlan is better than Dodoo, but I wouldn’t say he is ready either.

Sooner January comes the better, hopefully we can let go of Dodoo, bring in another striker, another winger and bring back Hanlan if he has been doing well.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

I think he's ready.

Completely agree with the last part. It makes no sense having someone as poor as Dodoo come in on loan when we have Hanlan out on loan. Dodoo looks lost and haven’t seen him do anything to tell me he should be a footballer. Hanlan is better than Dodoo, but I wouldn’t say he is ready either.

Sooner January comes the better, hopefully we can let go of Dodoo, bring in another striker, another winger and bring back Hanlan if he has been doing well.

Sadly, it’s unlikely to happen though.
  • Sage said:

SDAddick said:

I think he's ready.

Sadly, it’s unlikely to happen though.
    Unfortunately very true. I do hope though that if we are top 6 in January, we might get those couple that we desperately need, although I can see that being at the expense of losing Konsa.
  • From what I've seen of him as Josh cover I'd rather have Hanlan than KAG, he gives a physical presence.

Looking at the Wycombe team yesterday, they had some real experience up front in Akinfenwa, Craig Mackail-Smith and Nathan Tyson!
  • From what I've seen of him as Josh cover I'd rather have Hanlan than KAG, he gives a physical presence.

Looking at the Wycombe team yesterday, they had some real experience up front in Akinfenwa, Craig Mackail-Smith and Nathan Tyson!

KAG isnt really being used as cover for Magennis though, he's more or less covering for the injured Marshall at the moment and then will drop behind him when the latter is fit
  • sadly if he does come back in January Gobby will just stick him out on the wing.