Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Shirts & Betting Companies

I know this was a much talked about topic when CAFC made a deal with Betdaq a little while ago but couldn't find a topic specific to that discussion.

Labour announces they would ban football clubs from signing sponsorship deals with betting companies.

Comments

• Options
    I have never understood sports organisations or clubs that are happy to be in commercial relationships with betting companies. They just leech off the sports they purport to support. And are parties to ruining lives.
    So I support this 100%.
  • Options
    Opposite for me. They both go hand in hand.

Football punters pump their money into betting companies.
    Betting companies pump their money into football.

Economics 101
  • Options
    just had a look im suprised at how little some of the companies pay bournemouth for example get 3.5 million a year for mansion an asian betting company to be on there shirts, i doubt any of them would miss the money that much.

• Options
    The Joey Barton thing has put the footy power brokers in an awkward place.

Betting and alcohol will be banned first, then sweets, fizzy drinks, fast food and fried breakfasts.

We live in a time where all our thinking has to be done for us.
  • Options
    That so many betting companies are currently advertising on shirts at the moment, suggests to me that it's to an extent a short term thing, which a number of firms fighting for supremacy, most of which won't survive. At the moment, I guess they're trying to get their brands out there, as there is bound to be consolidation in the industry

I don't know how much difference shirt sponsorship makes to people's gambling habits, surely that glut of gambling adverts you get on TV during matches is far more "damaging"? I looked up Betdaq, and still have no idea what they actually do!
  • Options

The Joey Barton thing has put the footy power brokers in an awkward place.

Betting and alcohol will be banned first, then sweets, fizzy drinks, fast food and fried breakfasts.

We live in a time where all our thinking has to be done for us.

• Options
    On what authority should a government intervene in a commercial relationship between two private businesses, both of whom run entirely legal operations?

Personally I dislike having a betting company sponsoring us but I'd defend our right to have them...
  • Options
    I just don't care about sponsorship enough to do that @SporadicAddick
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I just don't care about sponsorship enough to do that @SporadicAddick

I'd rather not have shirt sponsorship at all. In my dreams, once I've won the lottery and bought the club, I can afford not to have a sponsor. in the real world, I'd still defend it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't really care either way about the shirts.

But I do agree that the way the companies operate needs to be regulated better.

For example the way they go about their business on Twitter is shocking. The thread the other day about transfer speculation is a good example but they also have arrangements with those "tipster" accounts that definitely needs to be looked at.

I saw one the other day where an account was photoshopping betslips to make it look like they'd won more than they had. Then they would conveniently put a link in to back his next bet (at the higher/photoshopped stake) and the account gets a % of the money staked. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the betting companies themselves running the tipster accounts.
  • Options

For example the way they go about their business on Twitter is shocking. The thread the other day about transfer speculation is a good example but they also have arrangements with those "tipster" accounts that definitely needs to be looked at.

I saw one the other day where an account was photoshopping betslips to make it look like they'd won more than they had. Then they would conveniently put a link in to back his next bet (at the higher/photoshopped stake) and the account gets a % of the money staked. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the betting companies themselves running the tipster accounts.

Love those tipster accounts all scams imo but hey ho. What always gets me is they always recommend a bookmaker to use. Now if all there alleged winning tips did pay off the bookmaker in question would be losing money fast.
  • Options
    So thats about a third of the teams in England needing a new sponsor
  • Options

Very sticky, you're correct. The big tipster accounts make a killing off affiliation money. It's all gonna collapse soon though, SkyBet recently disbanded there affiliate scheme and many in the industry expect others to follow suit in the coming months,
  • Options
    iainment said:

I have never understood sports organisations or clubs that are happy to be in commercial relationships with betting companies. They just leech off the sports they purport to support. And are parties to ruining lives.
    So I support this 100%.

Agree, completely morally bankrupt industry.
  • Options
    Are you still allowed to be sponsored by booze companies?

• Options
    It's a nothing comment I guess but I agree with it. I also think the previous ban on gambling companies advertising on tv should be reversed too. But hey-ho I'm ruddy perfect me
  • Options
    I aint sayin nuffink.
  • Options
    Haven't Labour got more important issues to deal with?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We should be looking for more ethical businesses to sponsor our teams...something like Insurance maybe?!?

Well said :wink: like AIG on Man U shirts.

I don't think they should be banned, I still find it odd that a child's football shirt can't have a betting company on it, yet they go in the ground and all they can see is BetDaq on every other ad board!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I'd be okay with a ban on shirt sponsorship. One of the only things I'm perhaps semi-conservative on is that I'm not too keen to have betting made legal across the US. Betting companies, like alcohol and tobacco companies can (should be noted can, not always do) have predatory business plans that rely on the frequent/compulsive/addicted.

That said, if we wanted to look at unsavory business entities and individuals with strong ties to football, its organizing bodies, and individual clubs we'd be here all night and into tomorrow. That's not a reason to not take action. It'd be like saying "since we can't stop all crime we may as well not make laws" (note: gambling obviously not a crime, this is just an analogy), but I think it's only fair to note that there is a lot of shady money in the game.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure whenever I go to The Valley I'll usually put 2 quid or something down on a result or a first goalscorer or something. The first couple times I did it we won, so it's become something of a good luck charm which admittedly has not brought much luck.

I'm also willing to listen to the other side of things. Because I wasn't raised in England I'm not really used to the culture of betting, which I think by-and-large is wholly harmless, so perhaps I have a perspective that doesn't necessarily match reality.
  • Options
    On a slightly seperate note, Bet365's twitter feed has been very complimentary to us in recent weeks. Is that sort of thing simply coincidence or have Rubashow and the PR guys been onto them?
  • Options
    I do find gambling companies on shirts a tad tacky but its income for clubs so I do sympathise with lower league clubs taking the money from these deals.
    Gambling is wasted on me, I have no interest in it. Mugs game.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    While I don't like betting companies I thought Betdaq looked decent on the shirts. Some company logos are awful.