Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Message To Our Supporters

edited September 2017 in General Charlton

On this day 1985

Comments

• First time I've ever properly read this (Was only a few years old when it actually happened) - In regards to the comments about finding somewhere else to play in the London Borough of Greenwich (first line under the map).

Where on earth were the club looking to play within the Borough does anyone know?
  • " We are delighted with this arrangement?".....Bloody hell!

I can't remember being too delighted about it.
  • Thanks for posting. Yes, chilling is the word.
  • Like others, I felt numb when handed this as I went through the turnstile. It had been mentioned in the local press (Sidcup Times I think) in the week leading up to the game but never really took much notice of it.

Still thought/hoped it wouldn't happen pretty much up until the night before the Stoke game.
  • Like others, I felt numb when handed this as I went through the turnstile. It had been mentioned in the local press (Sidcup Times I think) in the week leading up to the game but never really took much notice of it.

Still thought/hoped it wouldn't happen pretty much up until the night before the Stoke game.

Yep, felt the same. It was more that I felt it couldn't possibly happen to my club ... and then it did.

Very depressing times for CAFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Strangely it was not long after the announcement that I started going regularly to watch Charlton on my own/with mates (i was 14) so didn't get the dreaded letter or go to the 'last' game and most of my formative supporting years were at Selhurst (although had been many times to The Valley but not as a regular)

I wonder if anyone took up the discount to watch Palace first team games.
  • You know when you first glance at a document and your eyes latch onto some words somewhere to begin with?

The first words I read were 'Norwood Junction' and my heart sank.
  • wasn't alive when this was announced, fortunately every time i've seen charlton play a home game has been at the valley, and hopefully something we never see again.

• hard to think that the facilities at Selhurst Park are superior to those anywhere
  • hard to think that the facilities at Selhurst Park are superior to those anywhere

I'm not so sure, did you ever play on Winns Common and change in the cowsheds? ;)
  • T.C.E said:

hard to think that the facilities at Selhurst Park are superior to those anywhere

I'm not so sure, did you ever play on Winns Common and change in the cowsheds? ;)
    I know I did.

• Sponsored links:

• I was on holiday in Estepona in Spain at the time and I had no idea of the score much less of this notice. On the day afterwards I borrowed a paper, a Sunday Express, off someone who had flown in that day. I cheerfully noted the score, went to read the report and it was then I read all about it. All the week following I had my wife telling me to cheer up and enjoy the holiday!
  • edited September 2017
    given out against Palarse as well ----TheEvening Gooner showing their usual attention to things south of the river commented " dont know what the issue is it only takes 15 mins ti get from Charlton to Palarse"
  • I remember it well, my dad and all his mates were absolutely apoplectic.
    We all went to Shithurst for about 5 matches, decided it was a pain in the arse getting there, and just did aways mostly.
    When we went to Upton Park, we went to more 'home' matches.
    Never got a ticket for the return to the Valley, although I understand that there was about 45,000 there if everyone is to believed who said they were there. ;o)
  • The young BBC reporter was quite good, I wonder what happened to him?
  • edited September 2017
    My mum was very upset. The Valley had been like a second home in her younger days.
  • I was not at the game when that leaflet was handed out. Living oop north back then was a nightmare trying to keep up with events at Charlton, no internet, nothing but local footy news in all daily newspapers, no Sky with Jeff on a Saturday, poxy 'kick off' on Sunday with Gerald Sinstadt instead of the 'big match' with Brian Moore etc, etc.

Once I heard snippets of the intention to leave the Valley, it seemed so unreal, like today's version of fake news! I could not accept that a move to Selhurst would really happen.

That was until the following game when we played at Oldham, I think it was a midweek fixture, and seeing the anger among our travelling fans, the chants and the utter feeling of having been screwed over the by the club suddenly became all too apparent and during that match, I gradually came to realise that this move was for real.
  • So who in that video posts on here?

Dark days, yet I still continued to go, unlike now (*cough* apart from this Saturday).
  • My twelfth birthday , some present eh.
  • We beat the Palarse and Reid missed the chance of a hat trick of pens.