Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Message To Our Supporters

Comments

• Options
    Before my time but I find it odd that it happened so close after the start of the season, why didn't they just make the decision at the end of the previous season?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Brings back memories seeing a young looking Wingnut {Steve} in that video.
  • Options
    Worst day of my football life, we had made a good start to that season and then that bombshell
  • Options
    Remember this day so clearly. Was in Scotland on holiday driving along Loch Lomond (I can still remember the exact spot) when the 5pm football results came on BBC radio and news of the move was announced. Felt sick and came out in a cold sweat. The Valley was and is like a second home for me.
  • Options
    Got back it watching Charlton Live when they moved to Selhurst, before that football violence and degree studies meant I did not watch much in the 1970`s.
  • Options
    Seems so long ago, remember that leaflet so well. I managed a few games at Selhurst but bought my first season ticket when we went to Upton Park.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Before my time but I find it odd that it happened so close after the start of the season, why didn't they just make the decision at the end of the previous season?

They probably had ! The last game of the season they announced at halftime that we had signed John Pearson From Chef Wednesday for 100K a very large amount for us at the time. During the close season they went on to make a lot of very good signings which resulted in us winning promotion. Like this current cancerous ownership they probably wanted to give us the good news before the bad. Made sure they got the season ticket money before announcing the news, not that that would have amounted to much with most of us paying on the gate I expect.Having said that I'm sure I remember reading that even Derek Ufton didn't know about the move until he turned up at the Valley on the saturday.
  • Options
    mr nut,cliffy and a very young Ian Pittman makes an appearance RIP
  • Options

Like others, I felt numb when handed this as I went through the turnstile. It had been mentioned in the local press (Sidcup Times I think) in the week leading up to the game but never really took much notice of it.

Still thought/hoped it wouldn't happen pretty much up until the night before the Stoke game.

Are you sure about that ? I've never heard of anyone having any knowledge of this until BBC news mentioned it on the Saturday lunchtime. Even Derek Ufton has been quoted as saying he knew nothing about it until the day of the leaflet.

Like you though I never actually believed it would happen, I heard while walking to the ground met friends who told me & thought that won't / can't happen.

Awful awful day but as Seth says in hindsight it helped create the supporters tidalwave that started with VOTV went on to the Valley Party etc etc & led to Charlton Athletic Football Club being as one with the supporters & giving us the modern Glory years succeeding against all the odds with regular scalps of the so called big boys of the premiership. One day those exciting times will return, lets hope that we're all here to experience it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Like others, I felt numb when handed this as I went through the turnstile. It had been mentioned in the local press (Sidcup Times I think) in the week leading up to the game but never really took much notice of it.

Still thought/hoped it wouldn't happen pretty much up until the night before the Stoke game.

Are you sure about that ? I've never heard of anyone having any knowledge of this until BBC news mentioned it on the Saturday lunchtime. Even Derek Ufton has been quoted as saying he knew nothing about it until the day of the leaflet.

Like you though I never actually believed it would happen, I heard while walking to the ground met friends who told me & thought that won't / can't happen.

Awful awful day but as Seth says in hindsight it helped create the supporters tidalwave that started with VOTV went on to the Valley Party etc etc & led to Charlton Athletic Football Club being as one with the supporters & giving us the modern Glory years succeeding against all the odds with regular scalps of the so called big boys of the premiership. One day those exciting times will return, lets hope that we're all here to experience it.
    I definitely remember seeing it. My Grandparents (both staunch Charlton) showed me the paper and I said to them it will never happen. It might have been a couple of weeks before the announcement but don't remember anything about the source etc.
  • Options
    I remember that day very well and I also remember the joy of returning to the valley.
    The next time we celebrate like that will be when Roland departs.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I definitely remember seeing it. My Grandparents (both staunch Charlton) showed me the paper and I said to them it will never happen. It might have been a couple of weeks before the announcement but don't remember anything about the source etc.
    There was a story in the Tuesday (I think) SLP - which I have always assumed was planted by the club - about the disputed car park land. I think the KT may have followed it up, but there was nothing substantive. Having spoken to both Derek Ufton and Mike Norris - both directors in 1985 - in recent years it's clear they did not know in advance.
  • Options

J BLOCK said:
    Brings back memories seeing a young looking Wingnut {Steve} in that video.
    Had his 60th this year and not changed a bit.

Well perhaps a little: )
  • Options
    First few seconds of the video: 'The two clubs will remain separate.' Bloody hell, that made me shudder. The fact that they even felt the need to say that is scary.
  • Options
    I just did not believe it. Still seams crap reading it now. Went to Selhurst and Upton Park.

Drove to our home a few times and had my lunch parked outside the entrance to the East stand. Often ended up chatting to a fellow supporter doing similar. What what a sad sight it was.

I remember one asking what I thought would be the best thing to do with the site and I said "build a football stadium on it". We both gave a hollow laugh and went on our way. What a fantastic sight it is now.

History must not be allowed to repeat itself. I really do pray that Rolly leaves soon and sells to owners that really do want us to be successful.
  • Options
    I filmed a Charlton 'home' match at Selhurst back then. Got a nice welcome in the Charlton Portakabin. Bloody depressing ground.
  • Options
    We've got a file of letters in the Museum about this time including one discussing the renaming of Selhurst Park as the Selhurst Valley.

Ron Noades rejected the idea.
  • Options
    I had to google Sellout park and Palarse then checked Uber on how much by taxi. Good job I was on the Stella.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After my marriage broke up I moved from Petts Wood to Greenwich, arriving the day before the Stoke match. Two reasons for Greenwich, much nearer West End where I worked, and very convenient to get to Charlton. Went two or three times to Selhurst, too much trouble, gave up. Started again at Upton Park. Have always wondered why we didn't go there in the first place, or even better, Leyton Orient. At a pinch I would have even accepted Millwall.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I was an absolute regular who used to schlepp mildly to the Valley every game, usually with no expectations, but some hopes, and wanted to get into the football and how my lads were getting on.

We were a regular unremarkable club, a bit idiosyncratic maybe, but generally placid and struggling.

I was a ground season ticket holder and I knew nothing about what was happening until I got that message at the gate. Surprise, shock and disbelief were my first emotions, followed by a feeling of being gutted to the core, the absolute fucking core.

The final game was probably the worst experience I have ever had as a Charlton fan, we won it too, and I have endured some utterly miserable defeats to boot, but leaving the Valley felt like losing a limb or something.

As it turned out, and easy to say in hindsight, the event dug into something special within the hardy group of Charlton fans that stuck around, and the rest is history. The first game back at the Valley is easily my best memory of being a Charlton fan by a long long way.

This season the club is making a big play about the return, many involved are not names that resonate with me regarding the times when I felt part of a pretty small but pretty classy little tribe, but when the celebrations happen, and big dinners are advertised and sold, it might be worth sparing a thought for a lot of unsung heroes who one way or another kept us going in those days, and another thought for absent and beloved friends.

Post of the year. @cabbles give the man a promote.

The latter part is at least in part why I believe the tickets sales for the game in just over a week have been selling pretty slowly. The players all were tweeting about it the other day in unison....

I wasn't at the last game and only starting going regularly at Selhurst, was there for the 1st game back and concur that it's by far my best memory, even the time leading up to it singing 'were going back to the Valley' at the train station.

But I've yet to summon up the energy and desire to buy a ticket for the legends game..... @sethplum I think you've summed up why.
  • Options
    I was in the Jimmy Seed stand (why?) and I cried at the final whistle.
  • Options
    WSA said:

I was in the Jimmy Seed stand (why?) and I cried at the final whistle.

Possibly because there were only about 7500 tickets available to & we took them where we could get them ? :smile: From memory there were 3/400 pompey & then whatever complementaries were given. Probably less than 7.5 ...............but we made some bloody noise especially in the 2nd half & after the final whistle. What a day :smiley:
  • Options
    Addickted said:

So who in that video posts on here?

i do although not very often these days

• Options
    I wonder how many supporters we gained by moving to selhurst
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:

Rob7Lee said:

seth plum said:

I was an absolute regular who used to schlepp mildly to the Valley every game, usually with no expectations, but some hopes, and wanted to get into the football and how my lads were getting on.

We were a regular unremarkable club, a bit idiosyncratic maybe, but generally placid and struggling.

I was a ground season ticket holder and I knew nothing about what was happening until I got that message at the gate. Surprise, shock and disbelief were my first emotions, followed by a feeling of being gutted to the core, the absolute fucking core.

The final game was probably the worst experience I have ever had as a Charlton fan, we won it too, and I have endured some utterly miserable defeats to boot, but leaving the Valley felt like losing a limb or something.

As it turned out, and easy to say in hindsight, the event dug into something special within the hardy group of Charlton fans that stuck around, and the rest is history. The first game back at the Valley is easily my best memory of being a Charlton fan by a long long way.

This season the club is making a big play about the return, many involved are not names that resonate with me regarding the times when I felt part of a pretty small but pretty classy little tribe, but when the celebrations happen, and big dinners are advertised and sold, it might be worth sparing a thought for a lot of unsung heroes who one way or another kept us going in those days, and another thought for absent and beloved friends.

The latter part is at least in part why I believe the tickets sales for the game in just over a week have been selling pretty slowly. The players all were tweeting about it the other day in unison....

I wasn't at the last game and only starting going regularly at Selhurst, was there for the 1st game back and concur that it's by far my best memory, even the time leading up to it singing 'were going back to the Valley' at the train station.

But I've yet to summon up the energy and desire to buy a ticket for the legends game..... @sethplum I think you've summed up why.
    get over yourselves - i was there with my dad helping to secure the gantry and commentary box (as volunteers) due to the winds the night before the first game back - i don't like the way the belgiums did things when they took over but trust me, they won't be stopping me from attending that game or any other - load of dramatic tosh - get a ticket and get down there, stop being such a gang of miserable tarts.
    I'm not sure doucher thinks seth's post is worthy of a promote @Rob7Lee :wink:
  • Options
    cabbles said:

DOUCHER said:

Rob7Lee said:

seth plum said:

get over yourselves - i was there with my dad helping to secure the gantry and commentary box (as volunteers) due to the winds the night before the first game back - i don't like the way the belgiums did things when they took over but trust me, they won't be stopping me from attending that game or any other - load of dramatic tosh - get a ticket and get down there, stop being such a gang of miserable tarts.
    I'm not sure doucher thinks seth's post is worthy of a promote @Rob7Lee :wink:
    I think he's still mulling it over @cabbles give him a bit more time.
  • Options

We've got a file of letters in the Museum about this time including one discussing the renaming of Selhurst Park as the Selhurst Valley.

Ron Noades rejected the idea.

I can't believe that was even suggested!

Not much time for Noades but even he must have thought, "Who are this bunch of muppets?"