Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southender in peace

Comments

• Options
    This will be a good test for us to gauge where we are. Any result possible. My feeling is that Southend won't be ultra defensive, and I think that is the best way to play against us.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

I still have nightmares about the game in the 90s at Roots Hall when we missed two penalties - if memory serves me correctly we would have gone top of the table if we had won

great day, Gatting sent off, someone else too, did Morts miss both penalties?
    Think they had a player sent off as well. Walsh def missed a pen.
    Yes it ended 10v9 didn't it? Great day, not sure the poor girl ferrying burgers back and forth along the front of the stand felt the same with the songs sung in her direction. We did make Gritty laugh as he warned up the keeper, plenty of Gritty, give us a wave etc ending with 'gritty, show us your bum....'

One of my favourite away days of the time.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I remember a table being thrown out of a big pub down there mid-90s The Eagle? And Ricky Otto skinning us before we signed him.
  • Options

I still have nightmares about the game in the 90s at Roots Hall when we missed two penalties - if memory serves me correctly we would have gone top of the table if we had won

The Spread Eagle was lively before the game.
    windows went through i seem to recall with a stool or table was a great away day that
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Rob7Lee said:

great day, Gatting sent off, someone else too, did Morts miss both penalties?
    Think they had a player sent off as well. Walsh def missed a pen.
    Yes it ended 10v9 didn't it? Great day, not sure the poor girl ferrying burgers back and forth along the front of the stand felt the same with the songs sung in her direction. We did make Gritty laugh as he warned up the keeper, plenty of Gritty, give us a wave etc ending with 'gritty, show us your bum....'

One of my favourite away days of the time.
    Very hazy memories of that day. Wasn't Chris Powell playing for Southend then?
    I'm sure that was the game where some, ahem, 'wit' in our crowd kept shouting out phrases that started with "Oi!" and ended with "You c**t!" For example:
    "Oi! Charlton! My pub team's better than you! You c**ts!"
    "Oi! Leaburn! My nan could've finished that! You c**t!"
    "Oi! Ref! There's more hair on my arse than there is on your head! You c**t!"
    And so on.
    He then opened with:
    "Oi! Charlton! It's a good job you ain't chefs..."
    And I've never before or since witnessed what seemed like a whole stand stop, turn around and, as one, incredulously say "what?"
    I don't think he got to the witty punchline.
  • Options
    Curbs sent off as well I think, was it the 1-1 game?
  • Options
    I remember driving home and came over the Dartford bridge for the first time
  • Options

windows went through i seem to recall with a stool or table was a great away day that
    Thought it was The Forresters?
  • Options

The bench went through the Forresters in the evening I believe. The row in the Spread Eagle was before the game.

I was in the bog, ahem powdering my nose, when I heard a big noise. Walked out and wondered what the f**k was going on!
  • Options

Very hazy memories of that day. Wasn't Chris Powell playing for Southend then?
    I'm sure that was the game where some, ahem, 'wit' in our crowd kept shouting out phrases that started with "Oi!" and ended with "You c**t!" For example:
    "Oi! Charlton! My pub team's better than you! You c**ts!"
    "Oi! Leaburn! My nan could've finished that! You c**t!"
    "Oi! Ref! There's more hair on my arse than there is on your head! You c**t!"
    And so on.
    He then opened with:
    "Oi! Charlton! It's a good job you ain't chefs..."
    And I've never before or since witnessed what seemed like a whole stand stop, turn around and, as one, incredulously say "what?"
    I don't think he got to the witty punchline.

Indeed he was. I was there that night too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you will have a few players back on Saturday, and expect to see you climbing up the table

Having said that, I'm not sure I've forgiven Southend for somehow coming 1 point behind Millwall and letting them into the playoffs...

All because we beat Southend 3-0 in April. We should have thrown that match.

• Options
    Back in the day you could get a one stop tube ticket and cross unchecked to the mainline at Barking. Then pay at Southend from the previous station which as a poor student was a godsend. You could then hitch back to London after the game.
    I remember doing that a few times often on a Friday evening. One was a last minute equaliser 1-1 when Vince O'Kane was sent off
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Curbs sent off as well I think, was it the 1-1 game?

Colin Walsh was the other red card I think
  • Options
    I remember a Christmas 1993 game at Roots Hall, which Southend won 4-2 on a bitterly cold day. Stuart Balmer had to fill in at right back owing to injuries and was given a torrid time by Ricky Otto, who was on absolute top form.

The goal I really remember from that game was Southend's second or third. It involved some good interplay down the left, culminating in a superb Chris Powell Cross and a thumping header by Keith Jones of all people. No doubt duly noted by Curbs.
  • Options

Who can ever forget Leaburns goal at Southend that he took 12 minutes to score

Great days

Think this was the game me and my pal got chucked out of the home end, and watched the rest of the game standing on the fence behind the old away end where the flats are, before they rebuilt that end.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited September 2017

It was the foresters, RIP Big Duncan and RIP Denton the Gooner, it was him and his pals that came unstuck after picking on some Charlton scarfers inside, not realising who and how many were outside on the benches. OB sat at watched it for 5 minutes before back up arrived, very nasty fight.
  • Options
    Getting the early excuses in about injuries I see.

Don't worry you won't need them. We are Charlton. As soon as we feel a little optimistic we are bought straight back down to earth.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Sorry, @shrimperama but I still don't think we can forgive you lot for this debacle. forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78947/disabled-badge-holders/p1
    But, if you'd like to contribute to the crab sticks thread.....
  • Options

I reckon I was putting on lippy with mehmet if plod are still reviewing my posts

Not guilty me lord

Be careful, I've just driven through your manor:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest what do your lot think of Ranger? Are they bothered about his off-field problems and how good is he at this level?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Sorry, @shrimperama but I still don't think we can forgive you lot for this debacle. forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/78947/disabled-badge-holders/p1
    But, if you'd like to contribute to the crab sticks thread.....

Would also be interesting to hear his thoughts on the toad in the hole thread.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

It was the foresters, RIP Big Duncan and RIP Denton the Gooner, it was him and his pals that came unstuck after picking on some Charlton scarfers inside, not realising who and how many were outside on the benches. OB sat at watched it for 5 minutes before back up arrived, very nasty fight.

Denton still spoke about that night mate about a yr before he died we was at a BBQ in islington and catching up about the better days of football , his memory was not too different about them coming unstuck he jazzed it up Denton style but he knew and admitted as much
  • Options
    Pretty sure the kick off was delayed 15 minutes due to the amount of Charlton fans turning up......which was a first for me.
  • Options
    Wish you well for your new stadium shrimperama, we know what it is like fighting councils, but obviously, do not wish you any good luck today
  • Options

The bench went through the Forresters in the evening I believe. The row in the Spread Eagle was before the game.

I was in the bog, ahem powdering my nose, when I heard a big noise. Walked out and wondered what the f**k was going on!
    Did you come out of the bog to find @cabbles "shagging a right worldly" then?? :wink:
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Did you come out of the bog to find @cabbles "shagging a right worldly" then?? :wink:
    Haha - my first visit to roots hall was with my dad in about 94 I think. I would've been making some good early progress with birds if at the age of about 9 I was out with mehmet shagging birds at away games.

As it was I was probably at home for this particular game on my texas speak and spell
  • Options

Fair play. Your boys were better than us. We are still short but made a game of it and could have undeservedly snatched a point we didn't deserve. For some reason we went very long ball. Ranger did well with little support. Holmes got his customary goal which was a good one. All the best for the season and look forward to the return fixture on boxing day for what should be a full house.

Good luck mate. I felt your side were very organised and pressed us well during the 1st half.