Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dilemma

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Meet them halfway. Early finish with nibbles beers and wine at the office (with music of your choosing) then let them go on to the cheese bar on their own.

My idea of hell on earth......nibbles, beer and wine in your 'own office' listening to fucking punk music.....grounds for handing in your notice IMHO!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Next year I will push for us to do a silent disco and a kebab.

;)
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Just go, chat, get drunk and if you don't fancy damcing just say it's not my thing and carry on chatting instead.

Imagine an overweight drunk hippo staggering around a dance floor, that has balance issues when sober.
    Pretty much what i do normally get very drunk attempt to chat up anyone who will listen and then hear about the stories the following week, one consists on my pulling someone who is with someone at our office just different department but was on photo. oops , got to love a xmas party :)
  • Options
    cfgs said:

I should have also pointed out that of the other 12 or so people that go to this, about half the company (the others always opt out of social gatherings whatever we do and I have offered them all the chance to choose something more suited to them), only the the one person with the drive to book it actually wants to go to this place. Most would simply prefer a nicer meal without all the trimmings.

Then have a vote on

No xmas party

Dinner at the local curry house

buble show

Evening song at local church to recognise true spirit of Christmas

Piss up at pub
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Just go, chat, get drunk and if you don't fancy damcing just say it's not my thing and carry on chatting instead.

Imagine an overweight drunk hippo staggering around a dance floor, that has balance issues when sober.
    Not sure I want you rescuing me from a fire now...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

cfgs said:

Not sure I want you rescuing me from a fire now...
    They use me to smother the flames.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Christ I was drunk that night.
  • Options
    Completely sympathise. Regardless of it being your company and paying for part of it, you know you're not going to be comfortable for musical reasons. As Henry says I think you should engineer a vote. Rig it in some way so you can't lose, such as by incentivising certain outcomes. E.g. some venues will be difficult to get to or home from (mention this after the options have been drawn up), or making it known some of your Charlton mates will be there, or some other off putting habit you may or may not have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cfgs said:

I should have also pointed out that of the other 12 or so people that go to this, about half the company (the others always opt out of social gatherings whatever we do and I have offered them all the chance to choose something more suited to them), only the the one person with the drive to book it actually wants to go to this place. Most would simply prefer a nicer meal without all the trimmings.

Then have a vote on

No xmas party

Dinner at the local curry house

buble show

Evening song at local church to recognise true spirit of Christmas

Piss up at pub
    As above. Give them a couple of options and go with the majority. As they say, you can't please all the people all of the time, some will still go, some wont.

I love a good xmas party so happy to go in your place
  • Options
    How the hell someone can run a company with staff whilst maintaining other employment I'll never know! Hats off.

Anyhow, don't be a miser. Nor selfish. By my reckoning, there is more chance your idea of fun will be their idea of hell so either embrace it, or buy them a drink, say a few words telling them how much you value them and there is a tab beyond the bar to spend as they see fit, and quietly leave them too it while you go and knock yourself out at some goth shite :-)
  • Options
    Just send your sister along with a few quid for the bar or put some wine on the table. Nothing to flash as your not going to be there. Not being funny but half of your staff won't want you there as they find your taste in music crap and can't let there hair down. The other half probably would want to fil you in. And little old Doris probably wants to jump your bones. Alternatively on the safe side give me your office number and I phone in sick for on the day
  • Options
    Go, pretend to enjoy yourself then sack one of them the following day
  • Options
    Just suck it up. Let them have their crap music. Staff morale over the year depends on it.

Having said that, when I worked for Zenith Windows the boss dreaded the christmas party as everyone would shag and half the workforce wouldn't turn up ever again out of embarrassment
  • Options
    Don't go but give them some money towards it, unless your a great boss they will probably prefer it anyway.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Just suck it up. Let them have their crap music. Staff morale over the year depends on it.

Having said that, when I worked for Zenith Windows the boss dreaded the christmas party as everyone would shag and half the workforce wouldn't turn up ever again out of embarrassment

Must have been a right pane.
  • Options
    Go along and drink enough to think you are at a punk gig. Please post pictures of Buble covered in gob at your's or her majesties earliest convenience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

McBobbin said:

Must have been a right pane.
    You saw straight through that one

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Ed. Wrong thread