Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Am I being unreasonable?

Comments

• Options

Having issues with stairs, why the hell did she buy/rent a flat on the second floor without a lift??? It's like my 91 Nan buying it! Plenty of ground floor flats around, that's what doesn't add up. However Martin, if she hadn't of moved in we wouldn't be having this great debate

Maybe she assumed she'd be able to use the intercom.

I'd never have anyone come to my place if the intercom didn't work, but then I do live in a penthouse on the 33rd floor.
    Intercom or not, I don't understand why a woman with hip problems viewed a property with stairs only
  • Options
    So because your home is too small for your property you think inconveniencing others is acceptable

And the fact you had to ask opinion means you knew it was selfish

You then tried to justify it by commenting on her weight and having an opinion on her son opening the door none of which is of your concern

And is only your concern now because someone is doing something you think is inconsiderate to you

Selfish on every level
  • Options
    clb74 said:

What happens if the lady upstairs wants to store her new exercise bike in the hallway

That's an interesting point and jogged my memory.

She does have a rowing machine in her bedroom, the flat layouts are all the same.
    it makes a lot of noise because it's obviously on the floor and there's no sound proofing in the building / flats. She rows at all times of the day and night. The other day at 6.30am. Which inevitably wakes me up.
  • Options

Ok the consensus of opinion appears to be I'm a shite dickwad;(

I've had my suspicions about myself, ill now campaign to get myself evicted!

Can't have arseholes like me ruining other people's lives;)

and was is necessary to mention her country of origin? that she was fat? a woman?

lets hope she's not a lesbian.

0-2 coyr
    Well, M'lud I was only trying to paint a picture.

She's transgender by the way, the worse kind;)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I didn't disable the intercom.

It became ineffective when a thumb lock was added to the main door to the building.

The layout of the building is, two flats on the ground floor. So they're not inconvenienced and don't have a problem with intercom.

My flat, is the only flat on the first and hers being on the floor above. I don't have a problem with intercom, she does but does have a son who could answer the door. There ain't that many stairs!

I didn't keep my bike in my flat because the flat is small and there was no where to put it, without it being in the way. My problem I know.

At the time of having the bike, it was kept outside my flat, the only flat on that level.

It wouldn't have been visible, had someone been looking through the letterbox but of course someone could of seen me taking it inside. As anyone can, when any of the other residents might be having items taken inside, that may look valuable and nickable, should the flat have been watched.

I did ask all concerned including management and particularly the occupants at the time, of the flat above, who would be the most inconvenienced if it would be ok. Nobody at the time said it wouldn't and were quite happy for me to do so.

So I didn't just leave my bike, without consideration for others, I asked all concerned.

I except that the law may have regarded it a fire hazard but that wasn't made clear to me and nobody mentioned it at the time, either. Had it, then of course I wouldn't have kept it there.

I no longer have a bike, so the issue of the inconvenience in the communal area is no longer relevant.

I accept when one lives in a communal block, one tries to be accommodating and considerate. I believe my asking everyone, shows that I was trying to be just that.

The fact I was unfortunate to be a victim of theft, does that make it my fault? Thieves are very adapt at their job and regardless of precautions we may take are very skilled and brazen at getting the job done.

It was therefore a building agreement to have an additional lock added to the main door to the building, not mine alone. It is a thumb lock and presumably meets safety standards?

We all have neighbours who are bloody difficult for the sake of it and might be considered arseholes, I may be one of them, to some people.

I don't believe and of course it's just my opinion, that she is that inconvenienced by this. Or that her hips are such a concern. She doesn't appear to have any issues moving around that I can see, doesn't use any aids, sticks, crutches etc., That I realise doesn't mean she doesn't.

But the focus of the argument was, having taken all precautions to secure my own flat, double locks etc., would my contents insurance be null and void, if it could be proved that the communal door to the building was securely locked?

My Insurance company suggest it's a grey are and are non committal on giving a divinitive answer. Hence my on going paranoia about being burgled.

Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

Your insurance company are obliged by the FCA high-level rules to deal with you fairly. Tell them that their response is a breach of both Prinicple 6 and 7 of the FCA's high level standards. Six: A firm must pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly. Seven: A firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.
    What is clear is that they are failing in this regard. Tell them that. It is their policy, they drafted it they should fucking well know the answer. It is not a grey area. It's their choice, yes or no. Get the response in writing.
    Thanks, I will.
  • Options

Having issues with stairs, why the hell did she buy/rent a flat on the second floor without a lift??? It's like my 91 Nan buying it! Plenty of ground floor flats around, that's what doesn't add up. However Martin, if she hadn't of moved in we wouldn't be having this great debate

I'd never have anyone come to my place if the intercom didn't work, but then I do live in a penthouse on the 33rd floor.
    Intercom or not, I don't understand why a woman with hip problems viewed a property with stairs only
    Why does a blind person need windows

• Options

Why is that anyone else's business but her own, again, if the intercom worked, it wouldn't be an issue, would it.
  • Options

Security camera?

To catch the lardy-arsed prima donna moving about freely?

• Options
    Martin,
    don't piss off the neighbours, piss off the Mrs..
  • Options

Irrelevant, I'm simply saying I don't understand why, my observation, each to their own as Stu states
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Irrelevant, I'm simply saying I don't understand why, my observation, each to their own as Stu states
    Not at all "as Stu states" I thought your comment was bang out of order, tbh.
  • Options

So because your home is too small for your property you think inconveniencing others is acceptable

You then tried to justify it by commenting on her weight and having an opinion on her son opening the door none of which is of your concern

And is only your concern now because someone is doing something you think is inconsiderate to you

Selfish on every level

Very heavily over opinionated there and on your other post. I'm sure you don't me to sound such a rude twit!

• Options
    Ha ha I don't mean any of it b
  • Options
    Good!
  • Options

Why is that anyone else's business but her own, again, if the intercom worked, it wouldn't be an issue, would it.
    That's not exactly true, because she obviously goes out on a regular basis needing to use the stairs up and down.she doesn't require the intercom for that. She isn't house bound!

So I do think if I was viewing a property to buy / rent that had stairs and I had a movement issue, then chances are I'd only consider a ground floor property or one with minimal stairs.
  • Options
    In all seriousness, my advice would be to start an affair with her. Then, once you got her hook, line and sinker, say to her this - "Right now listen here you, if you dont start lockin that fuckin front properly, you and me? It's over! No get out of my sight"

Either that or promise her a pork pie at the end every week that she and her waywood son sticks to your unreasonable request
  • Options
    What about a good old fashioned compromise?

Deadlock the door from say 10 pm (assuming the last takeaway of the day is safely delivered and consumed by then). Unlocked by first to depart in the morning and left on intercom access for the day and evening. At least you'll get to sleep securely in your bed.
  • Options

Deadlock the door from say 10 pm (assuming the last takeaway of the day is safely delivered and consumed by then). Unlocked by first to depart in the morning and left on intercom access for the day and evening. At least you'll get to sleep securely in your bed.

Far too sensible for this thread.

Go for the affair option Mart
  • Options
    Push her down the stairs is the best solution 8)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not really bothered if I'm at home, it's when I'm out.

I'm perfectly happy to supervise a burglary overnight cause at least I can ensure they don't shit on the carpet!
  • Options

...My Insurance company suggest it's a grey are and are non committal on giving a diminutive answer...

Happy to keep taking your premiums and like having a possible escape route should anything happen. These money grabbing bastards need pressing on this point.
  • Options
    Stig said:

...My Insurance company suggest it's a grey are and are non committal on giving a diminutive answer...

Happy to keep taking your premiums and like having a possible escape route should anything happen. These money grabbing bastards need pressing on this point.
    True and I just have. I'm moving my insurance.
  • Options

clb74 said:

What happens if the lady upstairs wants to store her new exercise bike in the hallway

She does have a rowing machine in her bedroom, the flat layouts are all the same.
    it makes a lot of noise because it's obviously on the floor and there's no sound proofing in the building / flats. She rows at all times of the day and night. The other day at 6.30am. Which inevitably wakes me up.
    From what you've said about her, i'd assume it's likely to be her son using the rowing machine.
  • Options
    To all those who said I'm an unreasonable shit, go fuck yerselves and expect a scorpion in the post! Bitter, me?

And those who think I'm a reasonable wonderful guy, I thank you all and expect cheques in the post.

I do think it's interesting different opinions and why I posted.

So thanks for the input serious and funny.

I'm changing my insurance company to one that covers me, for this situation.
  • Options

clb74 said:

From what you've said about her, i'd assume it's likely to be her son using the rowing machine.
    I've asked, it's both!
  • Options
    Buy a tandem and ask her out for a ride.
  • Options
    I would have removed the additional lock on the font door and attached it to the outside of your door by now if I was in your block of flats. Totally unreasonable to expect the person furthest away from the door to have to come downstairs all the time just because you have too much shit in your flat to be able to store your bike in it. Also I'm fairly sure having an additional lock on an electronically locking door like that contravenes fire safety
  • Options

Selfish on every level

i see what you've done there
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

I would have removed the additional lock on the font door and attached it to the outside of your door by now if I was in your block of flats. Totally unreasonable to expect the person furthest away from the door to have to come downstairs all the time just because you have too much shit in your flat to be able to store your bike in it. Also I'm fairly sure having an additional lock on an electronically locking door like that contravenes fire safety

It was fitted by the building management, so presumably they would have been aware of the regulations.