Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice please car accident

Comments

• Options
    See what transpires, no insurer is going to want to pay out for a claim that's the other sides fault so they will (both sides) be bothered to establish the facts.

If you are back there tomorrow definitely take some photo's of the road, blind bend etc.
  • Options
    I think it may be a risk to him not to accept the blame. If he does that nobody will rock the boat, but if he doesn't and I can get evidence cctv etc... which he doesn't know I can't, he could potentially lose his license so seeing as he knows he was in the wrong and has reported it - it may be more likely that he will accept responsibility. That is how I will assume the outcome will be until I find out more.

I suspect he was so pre-occupied about getting to the school bus on time he wasn't reading the road and driving with due caution. Whilst I can understand this, part of me is saying this is how innocent people get killed.
  • Options

I think it may be a risk to him not to accept the blame. If he does that nobody will rock the boat, but if he doesn't and I can get evidence cctv etc... which he doesn't know I can't, he could potentially lose his license so seeing as he knows he was in the wrong and has reported it - it may be more likely that he will accept responsibility. That is how I will assume the outcome will be until I find out more.

I suspect he was so pre-occupied about getting to the school bus on time he wasn't reading the road and driving with due caution. Whilst I can understand this, part of me is saying this is how innocent people get killed.

Never assume, not recommended.
  • Options

I don't know what he is doing yet in terms of claiming responsibility or not - He admitted it at the time and gave a reason - he admitted he was doing between 40-50 but only my wife and I heard that- his daughter was late for her bus and he needed to get to the station before they missed it. The headmistress heard him apologise but I haven't been able to check how much she heard, but she might be my best bet. Along with the damage on both cars which hopefully should indicate what has happened. My worry is that the insurance companies won't be bothered enough to try to find out the details, but I am probably jumping the gun.

Him apologising is an admission of fault I believe. Or he's British.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Update - Thanks for advice and comments yesterday - Just inspected my car today. Mecahnically everything seems fine - some scratching on the alloy but tyre fine, drivers mirror taken out by his passenger door mirror but car is fine from the back of the front wheel arch and beyond. Front, bumper not broken, no lights broken, but wheel arch a bit bent and plastic at front of wheel moved closer to wheel which affects turning. It is clear he ran almost parallel to me with my nose just peeking out beyond tehe parallel, which is why the car didn't sustain greater damage. It was more of a glance.

Piecing it together, I don't think he overtook me but avoided me as an alternative to crashing into the back of me after accelerating out of a blind corner and not expecting a slow/stationary car to be there in his rush to get his daughters bus. I may not even have been on the other side of the road, and if I was it would have been by a few centimeters. A safe overtaking manouvere would not have been so close to me. I think the nature of the impact and the fact he took off my door mirror without damaging anything else around it should be pretty damning for him as it will indicate his position and mine on imapct.

• Options
    Sounds like a lucky escape in that case Mutts. I can't see he has a leg to stand on given it's a single carriageway and he (for whatever reason) has come up the outside of you whilst turning right. His only "excuse" might be he tried to avoid rear ending you during a sudden stop but again that indicates he was too close anyway.
  • Options

Whatever you do make sure you invest in a dashcam asap. Even if it's a cheap one it'll make sure you won't worry about others making up false stories in the future.

I got a dash cam with front and rear camera. Trouble is a motorbike hit me square on coming from the side in traffic and rode off so didn't capture anything apart from the audio which was a bang and lots of swearing.
  • Options
    Insurance can't confirm anything yet. I have tried to ring the bloke who crashed into me, as it can't be in his interest for me to seek out cctv which proves his speeding etc... outside a school, there is a decent chance there will be cameras in some places. Meanwhile my car is just stranded in the school car park!! Can't see how that's fair.
  • Options
    Regardless of fault, your insurers would normally arrange for collection of the vehicle in a timely manner as they want repairs completed asap to minimise their losses.
  • Options
    Assume you are fully comp, insurers should just come and collect the car. Repairs these days can be costly, my wife A3 got reversed into (front wing) at about 3mph, new wing, bumper and a load of paint, they don't panel beat much these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Assume you are fully comp, insurers should just come and collect the car. Repairs these days can be costly, my wife A3 got reversed into (front wing) at about 3mph, new wing, bumper and a load of paint, they don't panel beat much these days.

Much more plastic than metal these days.
  • Options

Whatever you do make sure you invest in a dashcam asap. Even if it's a cheap one it'll make sure you won't worry about others making up false stories in the future.

I got a dash cam with front and rear camera. Trouble is a motorbike hit me square on coming from the side in traffic and rode off so didn't capture anything apart from the audio which was a bang and lots of swearing.
    Turned my mic off, for that very reason.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Turning into a bit ofa disaster. I was trying to ring the bloke all day and he wasn't answering - so sent him a text then he answered but basically his story has completely changed and he is not admitting responsibility. The CCTV in the school wasn't working!, We have the headmistress who can give a statement that she heard a big crashing noise, came out and heard him apologising to us.

He is now saying he came up behind us, as I was breaking and not indicating he decided to overtake and as I turned the impact happened. This is total rubbish, he came up to us at excessive speed. I think the damage on the car will show that. I have spoken to the police but they are not interested after both parties have exchanged. If we can prove the impact was at an inappropriate speed the insurance company can report the driver to the police. We will be pushing for that.

Seriously, I did nothing wrong - but this reckless idiot could get away with it!

• Options

Turning into a bit ofa disaster. I was trying to ring the bloke all day and he wasn't answering - so sent him a text then he answered but basically his story has completely changed and he is not admitting responsibility. The CCTV in the school wasn't working!, We have the headmistress who can give a statement that she heard a big crashing noise, came out and heard him apologising to us.

He is now saying he came up behind us, as I was breaking and not indicating he decided to overtake and as I turned the impact happened. This is total rubbish, he came up to us at excessive speed. I think the damage on that car will show that. I have spoken to the police but they are not interested after both parties have exchanged. If we can prove the impact was at an inappropriate speed the insurance company can report the driver to the police. We will be pushing for that.

Seriously, I did nothing wrong - but this reckless idiot could get away with it!

So he's admitted overtaking before you'd pulled over to the left to park?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I was parking to the right in the school car park, he overtook me as I was doing it at excessive speed. He has admitted overtaking me but said it was I had stopped in the middle of the road not indicating - which I was. I need to hope the impact evidence shows his speed.
  • Options

I was parking to the right in the school car park, he overtook me as I was doing it at excessive speed. He has admitted overtaking me but said it was I had stopped in the middle of the road not indicating - which I was. I need to hope the impact evidence shows his speed.

Check any buildings further up the road don't have CCTV out the front. If you can spot him doing excessive speed further up the road especially as he approached the bend that may save you.

There are some right dickheads in the world. This twat is one of them. Only one rung above crash for cash fraudsters. Facing up to your actions when you have made a mistake is a basic principle.
  • Options
    Nightmare, sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for the CCTV idea from nearby premises.

From what you said he was easily able to drive away so his can't have been that bad, yours seemed a little worse but again didn't sound terrible. Having seen the damage 3mph can do to a front wing/bumper I think you would be hard pushed to prove (from what you say) that he was speeding by the damage alone, even a 20mph smack to a stationary car does some pretty heavy damage.

Was there any oncoming cars that might have witnessed it? Had to brake etc.
  • Options

So is he saying as far as he's concerned you were effectively double parked on a single carriageway before suddenly turning right?
  • Options

He is now saying he came up behind us, as I was breaking and not indicating he decided to overtake and as I turned the impact happened. This is total rubbish, he came up to us at excessive speed. I think the damage on the car will show that. I have spoken to the police but they are not interested after both parties have exchanged. If we can prove the impact was at an inappropriate speed the insurance company can report the driver to the police. We will be pushing for that.

He's obviously on here and read this thread...
  • Options

Get away with what exactly ??? If he went into you I can't see how you are to blame for anything. You just stick to what happened & let the insurance companies sort it out. I don't think either will involve the police or look at CCTV or anything else. Life's too short to worry about it all. Get the car repaired & get back on with your life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is mainly down to your insurance, it is for them to decide who is at fault. You have exchanged details to comply with the road traffic act. Police will only attend if there is an injury or the road in blocked at the time. Sometimes a report may go to a traffic summons unit which is usually for summoning people who have driven off from the collision without exchanging details.
    Does the school have CCTV along the road? Any properties with CCTV? Taking pictures as soon as an incident happens is ideal as well.
  • Options
    I have now read all the comments. It's not for police. Stick to the truth, check for any further CCTV. This is why we pay so much for insurance, they need to do some work.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Rob7Lee said:

Nightmare, sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for the CCTV idea from nearby premises.

From what you said he was easily able to drive away so his can't have been that bad, yours seemed a little worse but again didn't sound terrible. Having seen the damage 3mph can do to a front wing/bumper I think you would be hard pushed to prove (from what you say) that he was speeding by the damage alone, even a 20mph smack to a stationary car does some pretty heavy damage.

Was there any oncoming cars that might have witnessed it? Had to brake etc.

Fortunately, it was a glancing blow, I had only just begun to turn and he was virtually parallel to me. The fact he took my door mirror off highlighted that. A second later and it might have seriously injured me and/or his daughter. He was going frighteningly fast. Is it worth it -missing a school bus? Anyway, I'll just leave it to the insurance companies - I have the witness who heard him apologising to us, I have the evidence on the car.
  • Options
    I think it's important to seek to understand why the other driver has taken the action he has.

Playing a financial blame game is never good between two equal humans as it, invariably, brings out the ugly side of otherwise liberal and caring people.

A collaborative discussion on the best way forward for both parties would seem to be the most beneficial and inclusive way to conclude this ugly episode.

Hopefully you'll both learn to empathise with each other and take the positives out of any common ground that you share.

Maybe end the discussion with a nice, warm, hug.
  • Options
    When I was 17, I was driving down a narrow road and a lady drove straight into me. She got out of the car and was crying saying sorry. She was late dropping the kids to school and she was not looking where she was going. She even made me phone her husband to tell him as she was too scared and update.

She had five kids in the car, none had seat belts. She admitted it was her and gave me her details.

When it came to the claim she totally changed her story and made up a false witness, saying her neighbour was in the car.

I went to the spot and took loads of photos and then made some step by step diagrams. I then stated that if she had the neighbour in the car and all those kids then it was over loaded etc.

In the end it resulted in a 50/50. But never take anything for granted.

I was more pissed off as the only reason I was going to college that day was to get the new Oasis album (Standing on the shoulders of Giants). The album turned out to be weak and cost me my no claims and excess!
  • Options
    I think when you try to be honest in your life you forget that other people are not. Lots of things we should have done - we could have had the phone on record when he admitted to going between 40 and 50mph (his words and he is clearly going to under exagerate his speed rather than over). I rang him to find what was going on and had a bolshy conversation with him - wish I had recorded that - In it I asked him if he told his insurance comapny teh speed he was doing and he said they didn't ask.

What is upsetting is this man who was polite and apologetic becomes defensive and agressive when if I had got there 1 second later, with me turning in the road, and I might not be here. His daughter may not be here either. That affects you afterwards - I keep getting a shudder.
  • Options

I think when you try to be honest in your life you forget that other people are not. Lots of things we should have done - we could have had the phone on record when he admitted to going between 40 and 50mph (his words and he is clearly going to under exagerate his speed rather than over). I rang him to find what was going on and had a bolshy conversation with him - wish I had recorded that - In it I asked him if he told his insurance comapny teh speed he was doing and he said they didn't ask.

What is upsetting is this man who was polite and apologetic becomes defensive and agressive when if I had got there 1 second later, with me turning in the road, and I might not be here. His daughter may not be here either. That affects you afterwards - I keep getting a shudder.

Sounds like a typical leave voter.
  • Options
    robroy said:

When I was 17, I was driving down a narrow road and a lady drove straight into me. She got out of the car and was crying saying sorry. She was late dropping the kids to school and she was not looking where she was going. She even made me phone her husband to tell him as she was too scared and update.

She had five kids in the car, none had seat belts. She admitted it was her and gave me her details.

When it came to the claim she totally changed her story and made up a false witness, saying her neighbour was in the car.

I went to the spot and took loads of photos and then made some step by step diagrams. I then stated that if she had the neighbour in the car and all those kids then it was over loaded etc.

I was more pissed off as the only reason I was going to college that day was to get the new Oasis album (Standing on the shoulders of Giants). The album turned out to be weak and cost me my no claims and excess!

Exactly what I said earlier - the insurers will do a knock for knock. It's not in their interests to spend time and money apportioning blame for a small claim. The loser is the innocent party who will have a fault claim on his record and an increase in next year's premium because it's in the interests of the insurance company. They can charge you more but can't if they prove you weren't to blame. On average the insurance companies benefit from the knock for knock as compared to only paying out where their insured driver was at fault.

I'm not sure what difference it makes to your premium whether you are 50% at fault or 100% fault, unless it's a no fault claim you probably get tarred with the same brush. If the guilty party accepted this was how it works, it's infuriating to think it makes no difference to him to admit liability and do you a favour.

• Options

robroy said:

Exactly what I said earlier - the insurers will do a knock for knock. It's not in their interests to spend time and money apportioning blame for a small claim. The loser is the innocent party who will have a fault claim on his record and an increase in next year's premium because it's in the interests of the insurance company. They can charge you more but can't if they prove you weren't to blame. On average the insurance companies benefit from the knock for knock as compared to only paying out where their insured driver was at fault.

I'm not sure what difference it makes to your premium whether you are 50% at fault or 100% fault, unless it's a no fault claim you probably get tarred with the same brush. If the guilty party accepted this was how it works, it's infuriating to think it makes no difference to him to admit liability and do you a favour.

Have to say that does sound like the most likely in this scenario where there doesn't appear to be hard evidence (hitting square in the rear would have been better but may well have hurt a lot more) and the guy isn't admitting exactly what happened. But some insurers take a harder line than others when it comes to knock for knock. The larger more process driven one's (i.e. Admiral) will look to settle quickly at the best possible terms and move on, others, the more old fashioned insurers less so and if they feel they have a good case will fight it (all the insurers know which camp each sits).

Motor premiums have gone through the roof this year and unlikely to change for at least another 12 months due to OGDEN, in the region of 20% increase. Additional to that for claims it will depend on overall cost, previous record, NCB/NCB Protection etc. But generally premium loads can be anywhere between 10% & 25% unless a major claim.