Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• A bye to Buttler so 4 off the last required
  • Just a single so we win by 2 runs
  • Great last over from Curren
  • A decent consolation win.

Superb batting from Morgan and superb bowling from Rashid and Dawson.

I slated Jordan for his bowling but ultimately his 6 off the final ball is what won it for us!
  • Leuth said:

Today showing that you need two spinners in any T20 side

Stokes coming back (one day) will allow us to have two spinners and four seamers too.

Billings goes for him, Jordan goes for the spinner, still not convinced by "famine or feast" Roy as he barely averages 20 in international T20s (and just 27 in other T20s with a very poor BB season) so I would bring Root in and push Malan up to open (giving us a left/right combo too). Woakes has to come in and Morgan stays for now but, if he becomes the Mike Brearley of white ball cricket, we drop him too.

So we would have something like this:

Hales
    Malan
    Root
    Morgan
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett/Willey/Curran
    Rashid
    Wood
    Not seen much to change the above team bar possibly Dawson for Ali
  • Well at least he didn't go for the 12 that they needed to win but none of our pace bowlers really deserve their place in the team on those performances.
  • I'd have Woakes, Wood and Plunkett in for Willey, Jordan and Curran on that display.
  • I'd have Woakes, Wood and Plunkett in for Willey, Jordan and Curran on that display.

Agreed. They are our first choice group I think. It's good to know that those chasing are also capable of putting in good performances when needed. We have good depth of quick bowlers.

We still performed well in the one day stuff and less so in this series but lots to be positive about given the players out. Moeen/Stokes/Root/Morgan/Plunkett/Wood/Woakes
  • I think Willey's bowling has been poor.
  • Morgan having one of those days where he is seeing everything - 66 off 39

Few and far between though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Willey's bowling has been poor.

He was pretty good opening the bowling in the first 2 T20's. Had an impact and took early wickets. The trouble with him is he is a swing bowler and the ball in T20 doesn't swing after about 4 overs and it's not long enough to get reverse swing. So you only get 2 overs of him being effective. It's also so dependent on conditions etc. But when the conditions are right and he is on fire he can be unplayable to open the innings.
  • Warrican and Cornwall at it again

I thought Warrican looked good in his first go at Tests - should have been in the side the whole time
  • Shocking batting from a seemingly strong top order for the England lions
  • Billings why? There are better English batters out there.
  • dickplumb said:

Billings why? There are better English batters out there.

He'll be gone as soon as Stokes is ready to come back in.
  • Leuth said:

Warrican and Cornwall at it again

I thought Warrican looked good in his first go at Tests - should have been in the side the whole time

8 for Warrican but they couldn’t shift Jamie ‘The New Wall Rahul’ Porter as he is known in er Collier Row, but only at family gatherings, and even then only by me, quietly, when no one is listening as they talk West Ham shite in my bloody household for Gods sake.
  • dickplumb said:

Billings why? There are better English batters out there.

He'll be gone as soon as Stokes is ready to come back in.
    Root was out too. Billings isn’t good enough at all

Malan continues to do well though
  • Looking at the bowling, Livingstone and Leach both bowled 16 overs each, taking 2 wickets apiece.

Mason Crane meanwhile bowled just 3 overs

Was Crane injured/ill or is the guy that we brought to Australia now England's 3rd choice spinner here?
  • Deeply, deeply embarrassing for the Lions
  • Sponsored links:

• Only Leach getting any credit so far.
  • Alex Hales follows Adil Rashid down the path of only playing white-ball cricket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43127012
  • Alex Hales follows Adil Rashid down the path of only playing white-ball cricket.

A worrying trend, the 2 forms of cricket are diverging but it's a one way situation, you don't get too many players retiring from white ball cricket...

He should pack up white ball as well . One of the most frustrating players to watch . You know he has a good knock in him but they happen so rarely.
  • ODI v NZ starts at 1am. On Sky (0030) and BBC Radio5 Live Sports Extra (0045).
  • It's now late March, a few weeks after the end of the Ashes, in which England were thrashed in both the Tests series and T20 tournament. And, already, due to his cheating, Steve Smith has lost the captaincy of Test and T20 teams.

England won the ODI series. Smith was captain: he hasn't been banned from ODI game yet.

History comes at you fast.
  • Second Test is underway. NZ won the toss and put England in. We're 6-0 in the second over.
  • This is the Ashes thread, we have a NZ tour one.
  • Getting Harry Brook for a duck was the big one for Australia. Already made his debut for Yorkshire and had scored 480 runs in this previous 9 innings at an average of 120.
    Almost Virtually five years ago, this 17 year old promised so much. Shame to see the way his game has gone backwards.