Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• We lack class batsmen - that being the case we can't afford to waste Bairstow at 7 - sheer madness.

Get him into the middle order and get someone else to take the gloves and bat down at 8 - I would go for Buttler although I know he is short of FC cricket.

Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Malan/Westley
    Stokes
    Ali
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

No way should Buttler play in Oz, may aswell play Rashid/Overton at 9 as they can bowl too with Woakes at 8, who is certainly a good enough 8. With Broad and Woakes lacking form at the minute, still think 5 seamers could be the way to go, possibly Overton could surprise people and at 9 still gives us good depth.

The above is how I see it but with Westley at 3, Root 4 and Bairstow 5. I do actually think Buttler will play but think it's a big mistake.
    I also have reservations about Buttler but the bottom line is England have a massive problem in their top-order.

In the successful Ashes here in 10/11 England had five batsmen in the top five who scored big tons in the series - Cook, Strauss, Trott, KP and Bell.

Right now we only have two - Cook and Root - who are likely to get big runs and we cannot rely on Stokes, Bairstow and Ali to bail us out.

In Australia the MO is very, very simple, you put 500 on the board and then put pressure on the opposition, if you bat first and score 250 you will get crushed.

On the true, flat decks they have over here then Butler's style of batting will work well, his main struggles have been against spinners not quick bowlers.
    yeah you're spot on no doubt about it. I know Buttler's struggles have been more against spinners, but I don't think he's a test match batsman. Not a massive follower of the County game but I believe Foakes is a better shout and a better keeper that's for sure. If we are talking about a number 8, I guess Buttler could do the job, and if he got a decent 50 then he could smash it around if we were 8/9 down.

That's not the priority to be fair, its who is going to join Root and Cook in the top 4/5.
  • We lack class batsmen - that being the case we can't afford to waste Bairstow at 7 - sheer madness.

Get him into the middle order and get someone else to take the gloves and bat down at 8 - I would go for Buttler although I know he is short of FC cricket.

Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstow
    Malan/Westley
    Stokes
    Ali
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

No way should Buttler play in Oz, may aswell play Rashid/Overton at 9 as they can bowl too with Woakes at 8, who is certainly a good enough 8. With Broad and Woakes lacking form at the minute, still think 5 seamers could be the way to go, possibly Overton could surprise people and at 9 still gives us good depth.

The above is how I see it but with Westley at 3, Root 4 and Bairstow 5. I do actually think Buttler will play but think it's a big mistake.
    I also have reservations about Buttler but the bottom line is England have a massive problem in their top-order.

In the successful Ashes here in 10/11 England had five batsmen in the top five who scored big tons in the series - Cook, Strauss, Trott, KP and Bell.

Right now we only have two - Cook and Root - who are likely to get big runs and we cannot rely on Stokes, Bairstow and Ali to bail us out.

In Australia the MO is very, very simple, you put 500 on the board and then put pressure on the opposition, if you bat first and score 250 you will get crushed.

On the true, flat decks they have over here then Butler's style of batting will work well, his main struggles have been against spinners not quick bowlers.
    yeah you're spot on no doubt about it. I know Buttler's struggles have been more against spinners, but I don't think he's a test match batsman. Not a massive follower of the County game but I believe Foakes is a better shout and a better keeper that's for sure. If we are talking about a number 8, I guess Buttler could do the job, and if he got a decent 50 then he could smash it around if we were 8/9 down.

That's not the priority to be fair, its who is going to join Root and Cook in the top 4/5.
    That's the key right there - England could actually bat Buttler below Woakes anyway - not many people would fancy bowling to Buttler at #9 - he'd basically have a free hand to go mental and bang it around the ground at will.
  • I notice the Sky pundits have picked their squad...
    Cook,Stoneman,Root,Westley,Malan,Stokes,Bairstow,Ali,Woakes,Broad,Jimmy,Hales,Foakes,TRJ,Wood,Crane

And Warne has said the Oz team will likely be..
    Renshaw,Warner,Khawaja,Smith,Handscomb,Maxwell,Wade,Starc,Cummins,Lyon,Hazlewood.

I think this may have been done before the TRJ injury though.
  • I notice the Sky pundits have picked their squad...
    Cook,Stoneman,Root,Westley,Malan,Stokes,Bairstow,Ali,Woakes,Broad,Jimmy,Hales,Foakes,TRJ,Wood,Crane

And Warne has said the Oz team will likely be..
    Renshaw,Warner,Khawaja,Smith,Handscomb,Maxwell,Wade,Starc,Cummins,Lyon,Hazlewood.

I think this may have been done before the TRJ injury though.

Can the Aussies keep Hazlewood, Starc and Cummins all fit? That might be key...
  • edited September 2017
    That's always going to be the problem with them, however, its good , from a cricketing perspective to see that Cummins has had an extended period away from injury.
    If one of them does drop out then they always have Pattinson ready to slot in.
    IMO, their batting looks a bit suspect. Khawaja was found out by the spinners, and we all know what happens if there is a bit of sideways movement (not that there ever is in Oz).
  • With Test batting averages in brackets...
    Renshaw(36),Warner(48),Khawaja(45),Smith(59),Handscomb(53),Maxwell(26),Wade(28),Starc,Cummins,Lyon,Hazlewood.

The surprise stat for me there is Handscombs average.
  • Not sure Maxwell is good enough for Test cricket, especially when you compare him to Ben Stokes.
  • What has vince actually done to get in the squad?
  • Underwhelmed, Vince is 35th in the L1 batting averages
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

What has vince actually done to get in the squad?

Ditto Ballance, Ball, Crane, Overton...
  • Foakes is a fair call, averages 45 this season too so no mug with the bat
  • This is being leaked everywhere? Why?

Some poor selections in there. They wont change the batting order as most on have have suggested is the way forward and we'll be 3 down and the Ashes gone before Christmas.
  • Vince/Ballance over Northeast is criminal.
  • Kent fan? Yes.

However, I'm also an England fan and I know who I'd rather see in the squad.
  • Chizz said:
    The biggest issue England will have is who to leave out of that squad for the final X1 - purely from the perspective of their own mediocrity.

Wonder how long it will take the Aussies to work out how to get the likes of Stoneman, Ballance, Vince and Malan out?
  • edited September 2017
    So Stokes hurt his hand in the incident and it is this, as well as the possibility of a custodial sentence, that puts his place in doubt.

This is the same Stokes who was arrested following a drinking session in Cockermouth in 2011. The same Stokes that was sent home from a Lions Tour in 2013. The same Stokes that injured his hand resulting in him being ruled out of the World T20 in 2014 following his assault on a dressing room locker.

He is the England vice-captain. It really is time he grew up and acted as an example - on and off the pitch.
  • So Stokes hurt his hand in the incident and it is this, as well as the possibility of a custodial sentence, that puts his place in doubt.

This is the same Stokes who was arrested following a drinking session in Cockermouth in 2011. The same Stokes that was sent home from a Lions Tour in 2013. The same Stokes that injured his hand resulting in him being ruled out of the World T20 in 2014 following his assault on a dressing room locker.

He is the England vice-captain. It really is time he grew up and acted as an example - on and off the pitch.

Yes, he seemed to have turned a corner as well.
  • Squad confirmed as the leaked one of:

Anderson
    Bairstow
    Ball
    Ballance
    Broad
    Cook
    Crane
    Foakes
    Malan
    Moeen
    Overton
    Root
    Stokes
    Stoneman
    Vince
    Woakes

• Underwhelmed with Vince/Balance/Ball
    pleased for Foakes/Overton/Crane
  • Sponsored links:

• Is anyone going? If so drop me a PM and we can meet for beers
  • Riviera said:

Paul Collingwood is joining the coaching staff for the tour, he has scored almost twice as many 1st class runs this season as Vince, at a far healthier average.

Yes but Div 2 runs don't count. Just ask Sam Northeast about that.
  • So Stokes hurt his hand in the incident and it is this, as well as the possibility of a custodial sentence, that puts his place in doubt.

Stokes has a fractured finger but expected to be fit.
  • edited September 2017
  • Don't know how Ballance makes it into another squad. Found out time and time again at test level; Aussies will tear him up; sadly.
  • We have picked the best most mediocre of a bad bunch tbh.

Ideally, based on what we've got, I'd want to see the following side - Stoneman, Cook, Root (c), Bairstow, Vince, Stokes, Foakes (wk), Moeen, Woakes, Broad, Anderson

I'm amazed that Ballance has been recalled, and the same goes for Vince - though Vince is the better batsman technically. Why Samit Patel misses out I do not know; Westley wasn't good enough; and Rashid being given up on is harsh.

That said, Crane is an exciting inclusion (hell of a risk though); pleased for Craig Overton; and Foakes too.
  • Big_Bob said:

Don't know how Ballance makes it into another squad. Found out time and time again at test level; Aussies will tear him up; sadly.

Mates with Root.
  • Finn Wood Rashid Curran Burns and Robson must be with the lions.

We will need some players to call up when it all goes pear shaped.

Anderson to 'do a Swann' and ditch the tour as the wheels start coming off.

Cook to retire at the end of the series.
  • Finn Wood Rashid Curran Burns and Robson must be with the lions.

We will need some players to call up when it all goes pear shaped.

Anderson to 'do a Swann' and ditch the tour as the wheels start coming off.

Cook to retire at the end of the series.

You're trying to wind me up Canters, and it's working.

FUCKING NORTHEAST

:-)