Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gym issues

Folks,

Has anyone had experience of getting out of a 12 month fixed gym membership? I'm 8 months in but rarely go due to work commitments and beer.

Comments

• Options
    death is the only get out clause ... NOT recommended
  • Options
    Only way I know of that has had success (as is rare in any tied in lengthy contract) was a friend saying the PT/instructor upon sign up had mentioned to him certain machines that would soon be implemented in the gym, that weren't.

Otherwise just try catch someone on a nice day and just mention financial and home troubles, if they have a heart they'll get you out of it.
  • Options
    Sorry to be negative but you signed up to a 12 month minimum term contract and contractually you are obliged to honour that. Of course you could just tell them you're cancelling your membership and then cancel the Direct Debit and see if they take it further - unlikely they would but more likely they would place you in default which could screw your credit file (and it's not worth that for 4 months' worth of fees).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Sorry to be negative but you signed up to a 12 month minimum term contract and contractually you are obliged to honour that. Of course you could just tell them you're cancelling your membership and then cancel the Direct Debit and see if they take it further - unlikely they would but more likely they would place you in default which could screw your credit file (and it's not worth that for 4 months' worth of fees).

Agree with this. Unless you're with David Lloyd's or some posh central London gym, then 4 months membership is about 200 quid. Not worth the potential hassle.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    bobmunro said:

Yeah I did this once a few years ago, they sent me a moody letter but that was it. I don't think they bother trying to claim 3-4 months' worth of money at the prices I was paying.

If you can be bothered, write them a letter with a sob story!

As for going to the gym, I started going again when a friend of mine came up with a routine that was achievable. That was key for me. I don't dread it, I'm only in there for 20-30 mins then go for a swim. It's easier to convince myself to go regularly for short stints!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Get off your arse, put the beer down and go become the adonis that you know you can be...

Not Buddha.
  • Options
    Just chalk it up to experience, and make sure you give the right notice for the 12 month break - they can be slippery with this too.

There are so many resources to get fit for (almost) free now, these money pits should be on the wane. Especially when the trend to look like a hair free (apart from the slicked up side parting), bronzed statue ends.

Thank god i grew up in the brit-pop/lad culture era. Better music, and much more fun.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Just chalk it up to experience, and make sure you give the right notice for the 12 month break - they can be slippery with this too.

There are so many resources to get fit for (almost) free now, these money pits should be on the wane. Especially when the trend to look like a hair free (apart from the slicked up side parting), bronzed statue ends.

Thank god i grew up in the brit-pop/lad culture era. Better music, and much more fun.

Been a trend since the dawn of man, after all the saying IS survival of the fittest...

Sadly humanity is becoming too greedy and lazy now for all to be naturally fit and healthy.

(Yes that is despite living longer lives which is not necessarily a healthy thing to do... Nature doesn't extend the length of life of any other creature...)
  • Options
    If there is a machine you want to use but some prick is sitting on it but using their phone instead of the machine, how long are you allowed to give them before calling them out on it?
  • Options

If there is a machine you want to use but some prick is sitting on it but using their phone instead of the machine, how long are you allowed to give them before calling them out on it?

Straight away ask if they're done, they will either apologise and move on or start working out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/61969/gym-etiquette

This thread feels like the right one for the last post though :trollface:
  • Options
    have you mentioned that your instructor touched you in your special place?
  • Options
    They all have different terms, which gym did you sign up to?
  • Options

Sidcup?
  • Options

Sidcup?
    the only thing special about Sidcup is the residence!
  • Options

They all have different terms, which gym did you sign up to?

Reynolds in Bexley mate.
  • Options
    If people were able to get out of gym memberships because they didn't use them then most gyms and leisure centres would go bankrupt. Non attendees are where they make most of their money.
  • Options
    Going to the gym is dull and it's worse when you can't use most of the equipment as there are too many people for the limited equipment they have. It's also not what you want to do after a long day at work.

Saying that, it is costing money and does keep you fit. I'm paying £33 a month and have been quite slack lately. It is a chore to go though. Will force myself to go tonight and see how I get on.
  • Options
    Pure gym is £22.99 per month with no contact.
    Works for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Contract I meant