Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are 'we' collectively being too harsh?

in our disappointment / criticism of the last few games?

Are there people that simply feel the overriding aspect has been 'bad luck'?

Not a statement, just asking it as a question. Bar the Wigan game, there's a very real argument that on another day and a supportive wind we could have easily have won at Gillingham and Wigan, and at home to Bury.

My personal view is that some of the views are OTT, but are largely borne out of knowledge of how the last few seasons have progressed following encouraging starts, and there is a very real chance that the same might be happening again. On the other hand, I find it hard to disagree with those highlighting the lack of striker options and the rigidness of having to play 451.

thoughts?

(where I mean 'we' I mean the general tone of social media comments)

Comments

• Options
    Can understand the frustration of many - but surely we are in a better place than the same time last season.
    Big blow loosing Pearce but chance for Sarr or Konsa to shine.Wigan aside we could quite easily have won all our other games.Marshall and Reeves will add to the many chances already created.Still early days.Keep the Faith.COYR
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Premise of the question is wrong.

"We" don't have a collective view.

individuals have views.

Some are very negative, some very positive, most somewhere inbetween.

Most, but not all, people's views change as new evidence ie results and performance present themselves hence fewer posts about how "it's all changed/announce promotion/Roland is great" than there were a few weeks ago and more "everything is shit" posts.

In five games time that will have changed again depending on the new evidence.

Perhaps 10 or 15 games is too little evidence on which to make a definitive decision but that is what people do, including me. Still think this is a top six squad and still think the squad is too thin and the tactics too inflexible.

LLL&BH
  • Options
    Ten games gone and we are behind the 8 ball in our quest for promotion. It can be rectified with the ability available to the manager, but an unwillingness to change formation may result in his demise.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Ten games gone and we are behind the 8 ball in our quest for promotion. It can be rectified with the ability available to the manager, but an unwillingness to change formation may result in his demise.

Lose to Fleetwood on Saturday and he could go the way of Luzon & Slade.
  • Options
    For me it's not just the results, despite the poor run we aren't far off a top 6 position.

The inability to see out a game
    The lack of tactical alternatives
    Lack of striker options

Which to me mean we're not punching our weight let alone above it but very much below.

The last few years can taint our view, but the three points above to me mean we are unlikely to mount a promotion challenge and even play offs will be tough.

Add to that Konsa is likely to go in January to balance the books and I don't see us spending much then either or strengthing.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    At the start of the season that squad should be top 2 for me. Everything was in place, but then by the end of the window, we go from 3 forwards down to 1 and then gamble on a young lad from Glasgow Rangers until January. If he was that good he would be getting more game time by now.

Robinson states he has control over who he brings in and out. Fine, then the reason the forward situation is a mess, is down to you sir!
  • Options
    Arsenal of League One
  • Options
    yep
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Were we not unlucky at Plymouth too? Not a good trait to have in football...
  • Options

shirty5 said:

surely you can't be suggesting he get the sack if we lose Saturday, madness
  • Options
    Charlton have always been a massive disappointment, so no change there. Just find this manager spouts more shite than the previous few so it's easier to get frustrated in the predictability of our performances.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

surely you can't be suggesting he get the sack if we lose Saturday, madness
    We said the same thing when both Luzon & Slade had a goodish start and then a couple of bad results, this is Roland and despite the fact that they have learnt from their mistakes.
    Have they? Look at our dealing in the transfer market and our squad, what has been different this season?
  • Options
    if Karl goes then efforts need to be stepped up to get this vermin out of our club, im very much of the camp hes doing the best he can, but i don't know what goes on behind the scenes if he genuinely believes some of the garbage he comes out with then theres no saving him, were always gonna be that unlucky team or i take all the blame because im the mananger etc.

next 5 are;

Fleetwood away
    Peterborough home
    Doncaster home
    oxford away
    Bradford away

i think 8/9 points out of them is required for playoffs, i think autos are a step too far for this team, pains me to say it but we are simply not good enough in latest showings its just not going to happen, and its sad because a small amount of money could of made all the difference.
  • Options
    I think KR is doing a reasonable job. Lets be honest even Curbs and Powell were criticised, somewhat heavily at times.
    We do tend to get stuck in. Poor finishing and bad luck are costing us and it is a shame that we could not get another striker in.
    If the tide turns and we are the ones going through a lucky period, will we accept that as about time;or will we take the view that we are still shit.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Football, as they say, is a funny old game. The league structure provides (generally) for good entertainment value. If you go and watch a match in the Bostick Football League chances are you will see a good competitive match against (fairly) evenly matched teams.

The casual attendee would think the players had bags of energy, skill and commitment.

We all know, though, that this is an illusion. In general, the players in these lower leagues are slower, less fit, fatter, older or much younger, have less stamina and, above all, are less skillful.

Apart from the odd upset in cup matches you get to see the difference, nay gulf, in class in such mis-matches. The "romance of the cup" (aka a giant-killing act) is usually caused by the weather, the pitch, the crappy changing rooms, over-optimistic, complacent players, the resting of mainstream players or a combination of all of these. The reality is that a result other than a total hammering for the little guy is as rare as hens' teeth.

So back to the topic, our problem is that we have a stadium that would fit in very well in the Championship and is just about okay for the Premier League. We also have a quite large fan-base. And, as soon as Roland finishes Phase 28 of the training grounds project we will have the supporting infrastructure too. (Yeah, right.)

We have this disconnect. Everything about the club screams we should be playing and competing in a higher league. The only thing stopping that has been a combination of poor management (both on and off the pitch), a vast coming and going of mediocre players and the sale of our major playing assets.

So, failing to roll over the likes of Walsall, Bury, Gillingham, Plymouth, and who knows what other teams still to come is entirely below expectations and an affront to the club's supporters who have been badly let down.

In short, we are NOT being too harsh. The day-in, day-out kicking in the teeth you get as a Charlton fan means we feel we are fully entitled to kick back. We are a big fish in a small pond and deserve to have someone in charge who is going to shell out on playing staff commensurate with that expectation. If Roland, as it seems, is not prepared to do that, he needs to get out now because he is wasting everyone's time.

Absolutely right
  • Options
    We are not good enough defensively and I think we're too predictable allowing teams to close us down. We look like a mid-table side and realistically only another attacking option or Marshall and Reeves keeping fit will make a difference.

I don't think KR will set up a side to grind out results which is perhaps what we need at this level.

We've had a relatively easy set of opening fixtures in the first ten games and our defensive shortcomings are plainly evident.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing that worries me the most at the moment is we don't have our usual injuries moan to fall back on. Every other Roland season we’ve been able to point to a knacked Igor or Kashi or Makienok(!) or Henderson or Solly etc, but he only real injuries we have at the moment are to two players who have played about 60 mins between them for us and we can’t honestly say will be integral to our plans. Reeves will struggle to get in past Clarke when he’s fit as it is. Will dropping one of Fosu or Holmes fix us? Sure, it’s a problem that we can’t change games when it’s not working, but the real issue at the moment is how consistently it isn’t working. With our first 11 we shouldn’t be relying on luck to squeak past Gillingham but we’ve been found out troublingly early and we don’t seem to have any ability to adjust to how a game is unfolding. Good substitutions at the right times can change games, I get that, but we’ve gone right back to the Bob Peeters problem again of being unable to play if our holding midfielder is pressed. I’m really concerned because I don’t have the usual safety blanket of telling myself it’ll be ok once the treatment table is unoccupied
  • Options
    I remember when we first went back to The Valley, with our small capacity and tiny budget, and "laughing" at all the bigger clubs, with their big, highly paid squads that we would regularly beat...

Now it's the other way round, to virtually all the other clubs in L1 we're seen as a big fish, the sort of club that ought to be romping this league. That gives added pressure on any manager
  • Options

The thing that worries me the most at the moment is we don't have our usual injuries moan to fall back on. Every other Roland season we’ve been able to point to a knacked Igor or Kashi or Makienok(!) or Henderson or Solly etc, but he only real injuries we have at the moment are to two players who have played about 60 mins between them for us and we can’t honestly say will be integral to our plans. Reeves will struggle to get in past Clarke when he’s fit as it is. Will dropping one of Fosu or Holmes fix us? Sure, it’s a problem that we can’t change games when it’s not working, but the real issue at the moment is how consistently it isn’t working. With our first 11 we shouldn’t be relying on luck to squeak past Gillingham but we’ve been found out troublingly early and we don’t seem to have any ability to adjust to how a game is unfolding. Good substitutions at the right times can change games, I get that, but we’ve gone right back to the Bob Peeters problem again of being unable to play if our holding midfielder is pressed. I’m really concerned because I don’t have the usual safety blanket of telling myself it’ll be ok once the treatment table is unoccupied

A more astute manager would perhaps get more out of this squad but let's face it they wouldn't want to work for RD.

If we do have a bad run of injuries we would really struggle.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

A team challenging for promotion would have ground a point against Gillingham, beat Bury and held on against Walsall. Yes you always need that bit of luck however we havent deserved that bit of luck because we have been awful. The free flowing fast attacking football we played at the start of the season has now been found out. Teams have now adapted to the way we play and are able to limit our chances. We have no way of adapting because our manager wont/cant change the tactics because we don't have the players and he is a stubborn git.

Said on a different thread after Bury I think that the way this season is going its starting to feel like Peeters first season in charge. Really good first team but squad not big enough.

Under Peeters, the "feel good factor" lasted until November, he was sacked after a poor December, which seemed pretty harsh at the time and in retrospect seems ever more ridiculous
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If,buts & maybe's...we could/should have been good/better in any of them games with the right backing,which anyone can see apart from the jokers in charge,but this could be the way the season is for us now...we are where we're are,luck or no luck...the other teams we have faced & will face probably all saying the same thing...this at any time from the Fleetwood game could get so much worse...then round we go again with the if/buts & maybe's....

Roland please just go...!!!
  • Options
    We need a 'game changer' in the squad that we can bring on. Like Garry Nelson in the past. KAG and Dodoo are not game changers.
    Remember when we put Jackio on in that Cardiff home game ?
  • Options
    don't think we are being too harsh at all. Robinson has, in my opinion, a team/squad that should be doing much, much better. He may have wanted a few more players, what Manager doesn't, but I'd wager if you compared his budget to that of say Shrewsbury there is no comparison. Whether he has spent that budget wisely is up for debate. Maybe he is just not a very good manager.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

in our disappointment / criticism of the last few games?

Are there people that simply feel the overriding aspect has been 'bad luck'?

Not a statement, just asking it as a question. Bar the Wigan game, there's a very real argument that on another day and a supportive wind we could have easily have won at Gillingham and Wigan, and at home to Bury.

My personal view is that some of the views are OTT, but are largely borne out of knowledge of how the last few seasons have progressed following encouraging starts, and there is a very real chance that the same might be happening again. On the other hand, I find it hard to disagree with those highlighting the lack of striker options and the rigidness of having to play 451.

thoughts?

(where I mean 'we' I mean the general tone of social media comments)

There is no such thing as luck, I don't really care if people agree or not. Life is based on probabilities and what you do to affect those probabilities.

You win, draw or lose by what you do on the pitch. If your tactics are well thought out and planned around getting the best out of your players, you will win games.
    You need a plan B too for when you face the tougher, better organised or stronger sides.

Leicester won the Premier league by playing to strengths and utilising a plan b well.
    Wilder led Sheffield United to the title last season doing this.
    Powell and Curbs were similar in their ability to do this.
    Riga managed to do this in the season he kept us up.

Not one DuchaMeire appointed manager since has been able to get the best from our players.

If you can't get the best out of your players and/or you are tactically inept you will win nothing.

If LEICESTER can win the bloody premier league, surely Charlton fuelled by home grown and lesser players with a couple of stars can win league 1 with the right tactics behind them.
    A desire to work together and to WIN has to be the biggest part of the culture of the club. Until the clubs attitude changes, nothing else changes we remain shite.

We don't have the worst players in this league, a lot of our youth could play here comfortably, but they're barely getting a chance...

Unless their name is Ezri and the owner thinks we can get some money out of him, Or Karlan and you somehow see something in him, no one else does.
  • Options

We need a 'game changer' in the squad that we can bring on. Like Garry Nelson in the past. KAG and Dodoo are not game changers.
    Remember when we put Jackio on in that Cardiff home game ?

KAG isn't even a game player... he runs about a lot ala Varney and Church but gives up long before they would have and he's probably faster than either of those. At least they had a desire and hunger to win.