Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How do they do it?

All summer we were being told about not being able to sign the players we want to sign etc...

So how do some of the clubs in this league manage to put together squads with the resources they have, yet are able to match / beat us?

Look at some of the attendances last night in League 1:

B'pool 3399
Bury 2951
Gills 4002
Oldham 2795
Walsall 3712

None of those have £500m owners yet still manage to get their squads together ok.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017

All summer we were being told about not being able to sign the players we want to sign etc...

So how do some of the clubs in this league manage to put together squads with the resources they have, yet are able to match / beat us?

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

None of those have £500m owners yet still manage to get their squads together ok.

B'pool 3399 6th
    Bury 2951 19th
    Gills 4002 22nd
    Oldham 2795 23rd
    Walsall 3712 13th

Not doubting that our squad is under strength, but, if we were to swap places, other than Blackpool (one point ahead), we would be thinking that we are destined to face a relegation battle.
  • Options
    With a proper management structure? And maybe have people in the jobs that matter that have the skills and experience to deliver.
    I have never heard of a catering manager or a person with a law degree being placed in jobs with no previous experience.
  • Options
    Does it come down to the manager and his insistence on a certain formation and his lack of ability to change a game through his tactics?

KR started the season well and ended it well. Before that we struggled.
  • Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

Kind of sums up the whole Belgique debacle in a nutshell AFKA. It would be criminal if it wasn't so gut wrenchingly depressing. Great post.
  • Options
    At the moment I'm laying the blame on KR, no plan b and wasting time and money chasing one injured player.
  • Options

With a proper management structure? And maybe have people in the jobs that matter that have the skills and experience to deliver.
    I have never heard of a catering manager or a person with a law degree being placed in jobs with no previous experience.

Have you not seen the Governments Brexit team?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Good point.
  • Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

To be fair, I'm pretty sure our last home attendance was recorded as 600,281 so are you sure those figures are correct? Maybe Bury just have two stewards and a dog in the stands
  • Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

Our wage budget is still distorted by our perceived "status" and by the players signed in the Championship. Signing a number of players in the Championship, giving them long contracts then getting relegated is a recipe for financial disaster...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Signing a number of players in the Championship, giving them long contracts then getting relegated is a recipe for financial disaster...

But surely only an utter moron would do something like that?

• Options
    The problem is that strikers position has become rather like the goalkepeers position, we have our man and its not going to change. No Striker is going to want to come in and know they are not going to start, know that no matter how well they do in training/appearances as a sub there not going to start. Will Grigg whether there was a bid or not I don't know but would he really have left Wigan to play as a back up striker with us. Beckford was available in the summer would he have come to us to play second fiddle ?

• Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

Our wage budget is still distorted by our perceived "status" and by the players signed in the Championship. Signing a number of players in the Championship, giving them long contracts then getting relegated is a recipe for financial disaster...
    This is spot on top six budget and all that but how much of it was paid to players nowhere near our starting 11. Its not the size of the budget which is the problem its how its used.
  • Options
    That Beckford bloke I bet could do well partnered to that Magennis bloke...

Our issue is paying too much for tosh and not enough for quality.

If we still had Igor and Ceballos I think we'd be looking much better than we are.
  • Options

The problem is that strikers position has become rather like the goalkepeers position, we have our man and its not going to change. No Striker is going to want to come in and know they are not going to start, know that no matter how well they do in training/appearances as a sub there not going to start. Will Grigg whether there was a bid or not I don't know but would he really have left Wigan to play as a back up striker with us. Beckford was available in the summer would he have come to us to play second fiddle ?

excellent point.

• Options
    Is this a rhetorical question?
  • Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

Probably for the same reason the likes of Huddersfield, Burnley and Bournemouth are in the top flight but Leeds, Sunderland and Villa are not.

A well run club with a good manager, decent player recruitment, good tactics and team spirit will quite likely always be better than a poorly run club with no clue on recruitment that churns out managers every 3-4 months, no matter how big/small their attendances are.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Addickted said:

Following the Labour Conference as well I assume?

It is obvious that we have top 5 resources in this club for this piss poor league, regardless of KR, KM or RD's levels of incompetence. I have never been able to put my finger on why, Charlton, apart from a few halcyon years cannot produce the goods, well enough goods to provide us, the suffering support with a modicum of pride.

I am surely not the only one here with the sixth sense to know what was going to happen last night in Poland. It is always as if they want to dangle the carrot and then drag it away from us, like countless Charlton performances over the decades. I am not asking to be a Man Utd or an Arsenal, I did not follow Charlton Athletic out of a sense of entitlement to trophies, championships and press coverage (and a good job to eh?)

It is just so f&^king frustrating... grrrr!
  • Options

B'pool 3399
    Bury 2951
    Gills 4002
    Oldham 2795
    Walsall 3712

To answer the question in a word, 'teamwork.' I am not just talking about the players and the manager but the coaching staff and the whole back-room. Everyone pulling together including the supporters. It starts from the top-down and that's where we are very different. An absent, couldn't-care-less owner whose absolute priority is reducing his deficit and making a profit as he finally gets shod of us. A pseudo-related incompetent Chief Executive who spent the first two years lying to the fans and making one glaring gaffe after the other and then trying to spin her way out of it by blaming supporters at every turn. A jumped-up Operations Manager who wants to confront and punish supporters who complain about the disastrous running of the club. They have finally brought in some professional PR people who have shut them up and, presumably, prevented any of their wilder ideas from seeing the light of day. Unfortunately, the manager is now having to 'make do and mend' given the financial imperative and the wage bill hangover from some incredible short-sighted and woeful player choices and contract terms. Not to mention the alienation of much of the older fan-base and halving of total season ticket numbers.