Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ricky Holmes - Our best / most effective attacking player since....

Comments

• Options
    The only player who comes close (in terms of the way they both play) is Andy Reid. Yann and Mendonca played as strikers, and Gudmundsson used to play more on the wing.

In recent years, the one who played in a similar style was not Gudmundsson but Buyens...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Andy Reid and Claus Jenson are the two most naturally gifted players we have had before Ricky Holmes. Alan Simonsen is THE most gifted player we have ever had.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

So in Room 101 style...

I'll accept Kermorgant, find that one very hard to disagree with when weighing up the variables.

I'm rejecting Lookman, no question he is a better player, technically in a different league to Holmes and has oodles of potential, but he did not have the stand out impact on our team and in influencing / changing matches like Holmes has had.

I'm on the fence with Gudmundsson. I'm probably leaning slightly to Holmes in terms of match influence despite JBG being 'the better footballer'

Andy Reid - Bit further back but not a bad shout. The sheer number of goals BWP scored one season would also give him a high weighting.

High weighting was never a problem for Andy Reid :

In the post Prem days Holmes and Kermorgant are the only two to consistently come into that category. Anyone at the home matches against Cardiff and QPR would tip their hat towards the Skipper, Johnnie Jackson, but the other two were and, in Holmes' case, hopefully are more consistent.
  • Options

Interesting with Gudmundsson.

Stats For his last season 15/16

Apps 39
    Rating 5.97 (actually lower than Makienok)
    Top Three 7
    MoM 1

Goals 6
    Assists 14

The thing about this is people used to score him lower for looking like he didn't care or for making comments about how the protests didn't help etc. and showing frustration on the pitch at those protesting.

He was our best player that season by a mile and should have won POTY IMO

I love Ricky but JBG in this league with this team would be a joy to behold
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Interesting with Gudmundsson.

Stats For his last season 15/16

Apps 39
    Rating 5.97 (actually lower than Makienok)
    Top Three 7
    MoM 1

Goals 6
    Assists 14

The thing about this is people used to score him lower for looking like he didn't care or for making comments about how the protests didn't help etc. and showing frustration on the pitch at those protesting.

He was our best player that season by a mile and should have won POTY IMO

I love Ricky but JBG in this league with this team would be a joy to behold
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. That was the consistent message from all of the players publicly at the time.

I imagine it's more reflective of the fact we were utter dog turd and that he spent most of his time as a right wing back than being able to have the impact of goals and assists he had the previous season.

Arguably one of the biggest victims of how bad we were that season and possibly had one eye on the Euros too.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

sam3110 said:

JBG comes pretty close IMO

Oh yeah, of course. JBG is a better player, quite clearly, but relative to our league position Holmes is just as effective if not more so
    Quite clearly? Not sure about this.

I think they're quite similar in terms of ability, Holmes works so much harder though.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Leuth said:

sam3110 said:

JBG comes pretty close IMO

Oh yeah, of course. JBG is a better player, quite clearly, but relative to our league position Holmes is just as effective if not more so
    Quite clearly? Not sure about this.

I think they're quite similar in terms of ability, Holmes works so much harder though.
    I think he means in terms of technical ability. Since premier league relegation, the three most technically gifted players that spring to mind for me are Andy Reid, Yann and Gudmundsson, which is a different question to who was the most effective.
  • Options
    I personally think Holmes is equal in terms of ability to JBG, but he's surrounded by lesser players.
  • Options
    Yeah JBG, did it at a higher level where he was oftentimes the only real attacking threat in the team. How he got 10+ assists two years ago I'll never know. I'm surprised we scored that many goals to be honest.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Yeah JBG, did it at a higher level where he was oftentimes the only real attacking threat in the team. How he got 10+ assists two years ago I'll never know. I'm surprised we scored that many goals to be honest.

Three of those came in that 4-1 win over Rotherham as well!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

Makienok's best game for us .. he was on fire .. pity the flame burnt hot so rarely ((:<)

• Options
    Beardface said:

Andy Reid was the last player to have as much of an impact on the team for me.

This. The OP was the best attacking midfielder & none of D Bent, Mendonca, Kermorgant fit this category. JBG comes close, but imo he was a winger. Kins comes pretty close too, then Bowyer.
  • Options

Beardface said:

This. The OP was the best attacking midfielder & none of D Bent, Mendonca, Kermorgant fit this category. JBG comes close, but imo he was a winger. Kins comes pretty close too, then Bowyer.
    Ooooohhhh Andy Reid, a lovely shout. The Irish Maradona. A truly lovely player to watch.

Take your point about "attacking midfielder," though I'd disagree. Also, attacking players can play a variety of positions, JBG started the last game of 15-16 in the 10 role and I thought he was excellent. Reid, in the English tradition, was played out wide at Spurs because he was left footed and technically gifted so managers didn't know where to play him, similar to how Danny Murphy was played wide for a lot of his career.

But again, just nice to hear Andy Reid's name.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

He was so good that game, we were so good that game. As mentioned Makienok was so good when he was playing with another striker who could sit on the shoulder of the back four. Gave Mak space to drop off, pick up the ball, and he interchanged so well with JBG. I really thought that was the beginning of something special. Alas, Igor was injured by the next game and I think we picked up 1 point from the next two games.
  • Options

Beardface said:

no .. read what it states .. QUOTE .. So who was the last attacking player as impacting and effective as him in Your opinion? .. UNQUOTE .. what were Mendonca, Bent and all if not attackers ?
  • Options

Ben Reeves. I know we haven't yet seen him in a League match but he's going to tear up this League.

I'm sure his manager thinks so too.

• Options
    He's a one-of a kind. There's no comparison with previous great strikers like Hales, Hunt, Mendonca and Bent because that's what they were, strikers and RH is a lot more.
  • Options
    Mortimer to me was the most naturally gifted but never quite fulfilled what he had. Andy Reid is a possibility.

For work ethic, John Robinson all day every day, he was so committed, I'd have hated to have been a linesmen back then,

If I had to pick one, it'd be John Robinson, cheap as chips and 300+ appearances and rarely did he have a bad game.
  • Options
    Once again providing the difference between 1 and 3 points?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Ricky Holmes
    Matty Homes

Vote now

FYI I know it's an unfair contest as Matty Holmes career with us was cut short thanks to that thug Kevin Muscat
  • Options
    Mortimer for me is the most skillfull and exciting player I have ever seen playing for Charlton. Different class on his day!!
  • Options
    The difference between Holmes and names mentioned in posts is that he does it on a consistent basis both home and away.
  • Options
    A lotta love in this house for Ricky.
  • Options
    That ability and desire to win that is insatiable, gotta love that man .

Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    You're so fine you blow my mind, hey Ricky,
    Hey Ricky
    Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    Hey Ricky
  • Options

That ability and desire to win that is insatiable, gotta love that man .

Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    Hey Ricky
    Oh Ricky, you're so fine
    Hey Ricky

https://youtu.be/gljB7phzBOc
  • Options
    cafctom said:

No contest - Kermorgant. Probably the most effective player we've had in a Charlton side since Scott Parker.

I'd say Darren Bent was at least as effective. In fact Kermogant and Bent would have been a great combination back in the day.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

So in Room 101 style...

I'll accept Kermorgant, find that one very hard to disagree with when weighing up the variables.

I'm rejecting Lookman, no question he is a better player, technically in a different league to Holmes and has oodles of potential, but he did not have the stand out impact on our team and in influencing / changing matches like Holmes has had.

I'm on the fence with Gudmundsson. I'm probably leaning slightly to Holmes in terms of match influence despite JBG being 'the better footballer'

Andy Reid - Bit further back but not a bad shout. The sheer number of goals BWP scored one season would also give him a high weighting.

I'll go for BWP if RH stops scoring halfway through the season then dissappears completely.
  • Options
    difficult to say as we are in League 1, but probably since Kermo
  • Options

The difference between Holmes and names mentioned in posts is that he does it on a consistent basis both home and away.

Same with Yann IMO. Still love Ricky though.