Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Auschwitz - Anyone visited?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry to jump onto your thread Clem, but if anyone is in the Limoges (Dept. Haute-Vienne) area of France, Oradour sur Glane is worth a visit if you are interested (in the same way you might be interested in visiting Auschwitz).

Link

Went to Oradour-sur-Glane over ten years ago with @Imissthepeanutman. We just parked up by the side of the road as the village was completely open, no one was about and it was an eerie feeling just walking about a deserted village knowing what the Nazis had done there.

Went again a couple of summers ago with the missus. The French have gone to town with it, with fencing and gates, visitor centre and large tourist car parks. It was really busy.

For some reason, in every house there were sewing machines strategically placed, even amongst some of the ruins.

This is one of these type places that I never knew existed until recently... Think it was either highlighted on the Tour de France (one of the stages) or I saw it on the historical Documentary: World at War but is definitely somewhere I'd live to visit.

A proper frozen in time... well preserved reminder of what happened
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Sorry to jump onto your thread Clem, but if anyone is in the Limoges (Dept. Haute-Vienne) area of France, Oradour sur Glane is worth a visit if you are interested (in the same way you might be interested in visiting Auschwitz).

Link

Went to Oradour-sur-Glane over ten years ago with @Imissthepeanutman. We just parked up by the side of the road as the village was completely open, no one was about and it was an eerie feeling just walking about a deserted village knowing what the Nazis had done there.

Went again a couple of summers ago with the missus. The French have gone to town with it, with fencing and gates, visitor centre and large tourist car parks. It was really busy.

For some reason, in every house there were sewing machines strategically placed, even amongst some of the ruins.

That was what I noted, sewing machines and bicycles everywhere. Saddest though were the toys in the underground memorial and reading how many kids were killed that day.
  • Options
    I couldn't go either, but I do believe it is important they are maintained as a reminder what human beings can do to fellow human beings.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    It's amazing what one finds just driving round the back roads of France an all, Pont Lasveyras being one, and not too far from us. There is a big visitors center there too -

Reads - To the victims of Nazi barbarism at the Pont Lasveyras

I watched a documentary a while back and was shocked when they mentioned my two local cities (Brive and Tulle) and was totally gobsmacked when they actually mentioned my local tiny tiny village (Salon la Tour) as the place when the Resistance not only blew the main north to south railway line up, but as the place that the Germans captured Violette Szabo. I've now found a memorial to her next to the entrance of the rugby pitch car park

• Options

It's amazing what one finds just driving round the back roads of France an all, Pont Lasveyras being one, and not too far from us. There is a big visitors center there too -

I watched a documentary a while back and was shocked when they mentioned my two local cities (Brive and Tulle) and was totally gobsmacked when they actually mentioned my local tiny tiny village (Salon la Tour) as the place when the Resistance not only blew the main north to south railway line up, but as the place that the Germans captured Violette Szabo. I've now found a memorial to her next to the entrance of the rugby pitch car park

We stayed just up the road from you this year, at Verdeyme in Haut-Vienne. The guy that owned our gite kept a copy of Carve Her Name With Pride there which he recommended we watch before visiting Oradour. Powerful stuff.
  • Options
    Stig said:

We stayed just up the road from you this year, at Verdeyme in Haut-Vienne. The guy that owned our gite kept a copy of Carve Her Name With Pride there which he recommended we watch before visiting Oradour. Powerful stuff.
    Blimey, only 20 odd minutes up the kermit from Us!

The film has been recommended to me by a couple of people, but I still need to give it a watch. I think there are full length versions on YouTube