Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 1st round draw 17/18 (Truro at Home - SUNDAY 5th Nov 2pm)

Comments

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Riviera said:

I think the game clashes with the Cornish Independence vote that weekend.

"Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!"

Get back over the Tamar Oggy ffs.

It was quoted from the Simpsons, when Lisa was protesting in the kitchen.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    They won’t like the pasty’s in The Jimmy Seed.......that’s a certainty.
    Sorry.......I see someone has already referred to this.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

We haven’t been embarrassed on tele for a while now, it’s well overdue.

Can Truro be the 2017 Northwich Victoria?

I genuinely think this is a game we should throw our first team into as a confidence booster... Smash Truro into a shivering mess on the floor.

Or as will likely happen, lose 1-0 and Truro get a reward for their journey.

We need our players scoring in every game, as many as we can to ensure the squad can both score in pressurised situations and they can keep their fitness up to ensure they are always able to match their opponents fitness levels.
    Why would be need a confidence booster for the first team? Surely we have to give some of the fringe players some match time, Dillon, Aribo, Page if ready etc
  • Options
    If the Shrews match is postponed due to international call ups, then most of the first team team squad will have a week or more off after the cup game, so KR should play the strongest team.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I genuinely think this is a game we should throw our first team into as a confidence booster... Smash Truro into a shivering mess on the floor.

We need our players scoring in every game, as many as we can to ensure the squad can both score in pressurised situations and they can keep their fitness up to ensure they are always able to match their opponents fitness levels.
    I’d rest the obvious few, Solly/Kashi/Holmes probably give Page, Marshall and Reeves a start etc. But still the nucleus of a strong starting XI, they’re third in their league doesn’t matter which league they’re use to winning!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Phillips
    Dijksteel | Konsa | Sarr | Page
    Lapslie | Forster-Caskey
    Aribo | Reeves | Marshall
    Ahearne-Grant

Would also ensure that Joe Dodoo gets some game time with the likes of Aaron Barnes and Taylor Maloney on the bench - apart from a few slight changes the majority of that squad swept aside a strong Crawley team

Failure to beat a Part-Time (?) Truro with that Squad and you have to seriously question the backup / youth players we have

There will potentially be a postponement of the Shrewsbury game the following week but before December we have five other League games with Scunthorpe and Peterborough to play - Be stupid to risk a lot of the first team in a match where Truro might not be the best tacklers which'll risk injury to our own players, something that wont help when we dont have a lot of choice to pick from
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Plenty of opportunity to play squad members in the nonsense Checkatrade games before and after the FA Cup, even if you could understand Holmes and Magennis not playing in the latter.

Of course Charlton should treat Truro generously, but the concept of "profit" from the game is a bit dubious. The club is likely to have budgeted to reach the third round - I'd guess this tie will attract 3-4,000 at £10/£5, if Truro bring 1,000. Net gate receipts are likely to be about £20k if they're lucky, Take off match day costs and Truro's share of the rest and the "profit" will be minimal - and needed to meet the budget. But probably also so small you could give it away with little impact or benefit.
  • Options

Plenty of opportunity to play squad members in the nonsense Checkatrade games before and after the FA Cup, even if you could understand Holmes and Magennis not playing in the latter.

Of course Charlton should treat Truro generously, but the concept of "profit" from the game is a bit dubious. The club is likely to have budgeted to reach the third round - I'd guess this tie will attract 3-4,000 at £10/£5, if Truro bring 1,000. Net gate receipts are likely to be about £20k if they're lucky, Take off match day costs and Truro's share of the rest and the "profit" will be minimal - and needed to meet the budget. But probably also so small you could give it away with little impact or benefit.

Don't forget the prize money - £18k to the winners of a first round tie. :smile:
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Don't forget the prize money - £18k to the winners of a first round tie. :smile:
    I hadn't but it will be in the budget, I'd imagine. Charlton could easily donate their share of the receipts but I doubt if it will amount to much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:
    They've obviously seen our cup record!
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Having a nose around the Truro supporters page on FB, a few of them are hoping for a 20K plus gate. Boy theyre gonna be disappointed!

perhaps they are expecting 17k away fans to travel.
  • Options

Curb_It said:
    They've obviously seen our cup record!
    Don't be so negative Trev, surely you've heard of Pinocchio's highly successful Target 20k campaign.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Having a nose around the Truro supporters page on FB, a few of them are hoping for a 20K plus gate. Boy theyre gonna be disappointed!

Oops, my response should have been to this post.
  • Options
    We should offer Truro more tickets. Let them have the south and east stands. There's sod all to do in Cornwall this time of year so the whole county will probably want to escape for the day.
  • Options
    Better yet, there seems to be some local breweries in Truro. Get them to set up some marquees in the west stand car park
  • Options
    edited October 2017

We should offer Truro more tickets. Let them have the south and east stands. There's sod all to do in Cornwall this time of year so the whole county will probably want to escape for the day.

The tourists might have gone home.

But it's no carrot crunching backwater - there's always a lively scene in Truro and round the corner at Falmouth, Uni student town.
    Plenty going on.

It is their Wembley cup final, though. So yes, they'll see it as a cracking day out!

• Options
    odd on their being more away fans than home?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

Without risking any regular 1st teamers who have any even minor fitness issues, gobby should stick as closely as possible to his usual line-up to give the players the chance to really turn it on and practise final balls and finishing. Nothing to do with respecting the opposition or rewarding the fans who have paid blah blah, just to take the opportunity to hone the killer instinct.

These fixtures are effectively "no win" the reputation of the side cannot be enhanced by the game, Charlton will rightly be expected to win and win by a distance. There's eff all chance it will be on the telly cos Truro are far from the lowest ranked side still in and barely 5000 spectators will turn up so the 1st team can take it as a practice match with extra bite in the tackle from the opponents. Winning is a habit, scoring goals breeds confidence and team spirit.
    An hour in and 4 goals to the good, gobby can make his substitutions to save a few legs and tune up a couple of fringe players, 15 minutes to go and Charlton can shut up shop and play keep ball.
    A spluttering victory by a ragtag side of bit part players and youngsters serves no purpose at all. Falling at the first or 2nd hurdle will be the result of carelessness or stupidity.
    Shame we weren't drawn away to non-league so we could see somewhere new and benefit the opponents financially.
    Reckon I'll have to see about tickets at somewhere like Dartford, cos I ain't giving roly any of my hardearned and nor should anybody else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder if Jim Davidson be inviting his old mate Jethro to the game
  • Options
    only just got round to reading y'days paper, 'The Times' ..
    in the football pullout there is a longish article/report on Truro .. well worth digging it out if you've chucked it in the recycling bin
  • Options

Truro - first time ever in the 1st round of The FA Cup i beleive.

first ever Cornish team in the 1st Round I believe.

Since 1969.
    Anything before the Premier League was introduced does not count (which means we never won the World Cup either).
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I think they mean gate receipts
  • Options
    I'm actually quite liking the sound of this. Might go if it's a tenner...
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

CAFCTrev said:

I think they mean gate receipts
    The second sentence still applies then!
  • Options
    it's obviously a really huge game for Truro, they'll be committed, motivated and looking to make a collective name for themselves, in their eyes we'd be a big scalp ...

our players and management must not take it anything other than 100% seriously .. remember Lincoln last season, and yes, I know they're a bigger club in a higher division ..
  • Options

it's obviously a really huge game for Truro, they'll be committed, motivated and looking to make a collective name for themselves, in their eyes we'd be a big scalp ...

our players and management must not take it anything other than 100% seriously .. remember Lincoln last season, and yes, I know they're a bigger club in a higher division ..

Not sure I can remember the last time we took any cup game seriously, even a piss poor club like us rests players for cup games and I doubt this game will be any different. I would be shocked if we put anywhere near a full strength side out for the Truro game
  • Options

Not sure I can remember the last time we took any cup game seriously, even a piss poor club like us rests players for cup games and I doubt this game will be any different. I would be shocked if we put anywhere near a full strength side out for the Truro game
    good post .. I suspect if we do put out a VERY weak team and take it for granted, we could come a big cropper .. and I am a breadhead .. IF we get through to the 3rd round, there is always the prospect of a big, prestigious game against a monster club and all the revenue that could bring in, as well as the (remote ?) possibility of a bit of much welcome and long overdue glory