Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So what's the rules then?

Surrounding that free kick taken in our half

Comments

• Rules changed so fk is where offence takes place so when Josh came back from an offside position and attempted to play the ball the offence was in own half.

No big deal
  • Rules changed so fk is where offence takes place so when Josh came back from an offside position and attempted to play the ball the offence was in own half.

No big deal

Cheers... Didnt realise this was the case anymore.
  • Referee got it spot on.
  • there is one overriding rule in football that supercedes every other one, If it's against us we should make it intimidating for the officials.
  • If the ref he hadn't noticed the flag straight away, Josh had kept running back and then touched the ball in our penalty box, would he have given a penalty?
  • It should be that once you're in your own half, you're not offside.
  • If the ref he hadn't noticed the flag straight away, Josh had kept running back and then touched the ball in our penalty box, would he have given a penalty?

Indirect free kick in the area.

Indirect free kick.
  • edited October 2017
    Ask the ref.
  • The worst decision was the second half ref saying the ball hadn't left the penalty area which looked like to me it had.
    The our half offside is a recent new law and the ref was right.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

The worst decision was the second half ref saying the ball hadn't left the penalty area which looked like to me it had.

It didn't.
  • Surrounding that free kick taken in our half

It's laws not rules.

Anyone else would have been flagged for that.

• Ask the ref.

Tell the player to grow up.
  • It should be that once you're in your own half, you're not offside.

There should be a law like rugby: you have to get yourself back onside before you can get involved in the play again.

In this case getting back into your own half would be good enough to allow you to play on.
  • seth plum said:

The worst decision was the second half ref saying the ball hadn't left the penalty area which looked like to me it had.

It didn't.
    The ref was right, it didn't.
  • redman said:

I must admit I didn't know about this law change. Why the hell do they keep messing around with the laws which have no beneficial impact on the game.
    It all just makes it harder for refs who have to handle the frustration of everyone who didn't realise. THast includes KR, LB and JJ who were all doing their nuts at the time!

I really hope you're joking about our manager and first team coaches not understanding the laws of football !
  • edited October 2017
    Why didn't our players realise there had been a rule change ?

Don't the FA send new rules to the clubs ?

My brother said he saw it happen in a game last week.

Everyone around me said the Referee was useless (other adjectives were used)

• redman said:

I must admit I didn't know about this law change. Why the hell do they keep messing around with the laws which have no beneficial impact on the game.
    It all just makes it harder for refs who have to handle the frustration of everyone who didn't realise. THast includes KR, LB and JJ who were all doing their nuts at the time!

It doesn't make it harder in this instance. There were two conflicting rules. The muddle needed to be cleared up. (I happen to believe they chose the wrong option but that's another matter.)

In David Elleray's own words: “Part of the law book says when players commit an offside offence you give a free-kick where the offence occurred. The other part of the law book says you give a free-kick where the player was when he was in the offside position. So a player can actually move 20 yards from being in an offside position … and it is only the moment he plays the ball that he is penalised. The law tells you to give the free-kick in two different places.

“So, in future, the free-kick will always be given where he commits the offside offence, even if he is in his own half, because you cannot be in an offside position in your own half, but you can go back into your own half to commit an offside offence.”
  • Great stuff, and one of the reasons I love this forum.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

I thought the ref had given a free kick, not a goal kick, which means the ball does not have to leave the area after the ball has been kicked.
  • This offside ruling was brought in at the start of last season.
    Radical suggestion I know, but what if everybody in the football industry read the laws of the game?
  • Ask the ref.

Crucify him?
  • muppetman said:

seth plum said:

I thought the ref had given a free kick, not a goal kick, which means the ball does not have to leave the area after the ball has been kicked.
    That was the explanation I heard.
  • muppetman said:

seth plum said:

Unless they have changed the law a free kick in the area does need to leave the area before another player can touch it.
  • I thought a goal kick or free kick in the area had to leave the area before it could be touched by another player.
  • edited October 2017

muppetman said:

seth plum said:

Unless they have changed the law a free kick in the area does need to leave the area before another player can touch it.
    Oddly the guy who said that to me last night is a referee, so I assumed he would know!

Having read the laws, he was clearly mistaken.
  • My apologies. This is taken from the FA website.

If, when a free kick is taken by the defending team inside its penalty area, the ball is not kicked directly out of the penalty area the kick is retaken.

My apologies.